GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

IanCH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI Autobahn
They cannot say that with any certainty at all and your story is anecdotal - most OCC setups on MK7's capture extremely little oil on street driven cars.

The other 100k mile golfs theyve carbon cleaned (if any with the same mods you run) are probably highway warriors who never run the car hard. Of course the buildup was worse there.

Oil catch cans are needed on some models of cars with shit PCV designs and for some driving scenarios. An mk7 street driven golf is not one of them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They cannot say that with any certainty at all and your story is anecdotal - most OCC setups on MK7's capture extremely little oil on street driven cars.

The other 100k mile golfs theyve carbon cleaned (if any with the same mods you run) are probably highway warriors who never run the car hard. Of course the buildup was worse there.

Oil catch cans are needed on some models of cars with shit PCV designs and for some driving scenarios. An mk7 street driven golf is not one of them.
Ok we'll just agree to disagree.

IanCH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI Autobahn
I'm not saying anything about your individual experience with a carbon clean being beneficial - but the "occ made a big difference" is a super non-proven statement.

Like I said before, carbon buildup is mitigated by mpi, not an occ. Driving your car hard often also mitigates it and that's probably a lot more to do with your lower buildup than the occ.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not saying anything about your individual experience with a carbon clean being beneficial - but the "occ made a big difference" is a super non-proven statement.

Like I said before, carbon buildup is mitigated by mpi, not an occ. Driving your car hard often also mitigates it and that's probably a lot more to do with your lower buildup than the occ.
Driving the car hard and often makes it worse because it produces more blowby.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For all us peasants without MPI, to remind us we don’t have mpi and get to have carbon coated valves 😂
I've thought a lot about getting MPI to eliminate the problem but I just can't justify the expense of everything involved including getting tuned again.

IanCH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI Autobahn
Driving the car hard and often makes it worse because it produces more blowby.
You are missing the point I am making. More blow by does not result in more carbon build up. The amount doesn't matter, velocity of the air and the heat matters. More rpm = less carbon (not no carbon, less)

This is why an occ is pointless for carbon buildup prevention

akimmel

Go Kart Newbie
Very New England of you! But yeah, I also have a beater ('08 Mariner) to drive in the salt - thankfully DC doesn't get nearly as bad.
It totally is. I work at a compost site and at LEAST 50% of my coworkers cars are Subarus. The car is a 5 speed so it has the constant 50:50 power split, can't wait to whip some big snowy drifts. And it was $800, can't really go wrong.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You are missing the point I am making. More blow by does not result in more carbon build up. The amount doesn't matter, velocity of the air and the heat matters. More rpm = less carbon (not no carbon, less)

This is why an occ is pointless for carbon buildup prevention
Back to agree to disagree.

Clem604

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Covered up my fuse box cover and ugly de-caged ECU, looks much better IMO.

20200915_174126.jpg