GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Cool Hand Pete

Ready to race!
Looking to do this! I've looked over the install guide and the upper mount is not mentioned anywhere. Do you know of any guides for the upper? I can't even visualize where the upper goes.

The upper goes in the same cavity as the lower insert. The upper insert has a space for the arm to go into, so the arm to be removed first. Then you slide the upper insert in and replace the arm.

I’m absolutely loving my car with it. It feels - and sounds - so good to me. People say it’s increased NVH, but to me it’s increased sporty feel.

Here’s a link to the install guide: https://store.034motorsport.com/doc...gti-golf-r-034-509-1035-diy-install-guide.pdf

2017 Reflex Silver GTI

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The upper goes in the same cavity as the lower insert. The upper insert has a space for the arm to go into, so the arm to be removed first. Then you slide the upper insert in and replace the arm.

I’m absolutely loving my car with it. It feels - and sounds - so good to me. People say it’s increased NVH, but to me it’s increased sporty feel.

Here’s a link to the install guide: https://store.034motorsport.com/doc...gti-golf-r-034-509-1035-diy-install-guide.pdf

2017 Reflex Silver GTI

Nice, I just got mine in the mail, gonna install both. Seems like a great solution.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
i'll email them now and see if they do me any justice. im not really good with words but lets role the dice

Edit: also is it a pain to install, the normal bottom insert is easy peasy. but the upper i think you have to take out the pendulum arm? seems like a p.i.t.a but i never did take out the arm so idn

Edit 2: part of me feels like I should maybe go a different route, there is something like the spulen: https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SPUL...MI_Y7t_a-j5QIVif_jBx1hYAEMEAkYBCABEgKuFvD_BwE

its 1 piece, I guess over time it will get less hard, but maybe there is less NVH...
The arm comes out easily.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Looking to do this! I've looked over the install guide and the upper mount is not mentioned anywhere. Do you know of any guides for the upper? I can't even visualize where the upper goes.
There's a recess in the rubber puck, the upper insert goes in there. Take out the pendulum arm before inserting.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Rolled over 8k miles this morning.

I haven't really been paying much attention to my real MPGs and just been going by what my car says. This last tank I've been tracking though and holy crap is my cars estimate way off. After a fill up it always says I've got a 360-400 mile range, but I'm really struggling to break 300 miles. I'm about 17 miles away and the car says I've got a 30 mile range. That's all city driving with mostly short 10-15 minute drives, so I guess it's not too surprising I'm only seeing 20-21 mpg. Seems like accelerating really hits the mpg a lot harder than it did in my mk6 gti.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

I haven't really been paying much attention to my real MPGs and just been going by what my car says. This last tank I've been tracking though and holy crap is my cars estimate way off. After a fill up it always says I've got a 360-400 mile range, but I'm really struggling to break 300 miles. I'm about 17 miles away and the car says I've got a 30 mile range. That's all city driving with mostly short 10-15 minute drives, so I guess it's not too surprising I'm only seeing 20-21 mpg. Seems like accelerating really hits the mpg a lot harder than it did in my mk6 gti.

Agree with all of this. Furthermore, I never fill more than 10.6-10.8 gallons even when the light is on and the computer says >30 miles till empty. I average around 300 miles per tank, but could see as low as 220 if it's all city driving.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
There's a recess in the rubber puck, the upper insert goes in there. Take out the pendulum arm before inserting.

I've read some horror stories about the whole thing shifting after taking the pendulum arm out and people unable to get the thing line up to get everything back in place. Any tips for stability?

Front on ramps, back on jack stands maybe?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Dude! I had the same experience. It’s wild how little fuel the MK6’s used to accelerate. Yet they got nearly the same mileage on the highway as they did around town lol.

My stock tune Manual MK6 GTI did 26-29 mpg (suburban driving). It did 27-31 mpg highway doing 80-70 (respectively), yet the mpg went up drastically every 5mph increment below 70. 65 I could get 34-37. It was so weird how much worse my mileage was at 70 than 65. I considtently made this one 25 min/20 mile drive where I would go 55 in cruise the whole way, and I’d get 39-42 mpg. And my computer calculations were always within 1 mpg optimistic (meaning when it said I got 27 going 80, I was actually doing closer to 25 -_____-)

My Mk7 GTI does much better on the highway than my MK6 did going more normal (65-80 mph) speeds, but also does worse around town.

Kinda useless info since I’m talking about FWD vs Haldex... just talking[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Mine was the same. When new, I could easily get 350 miles before the "refuel" warning would chime. Now it chimes around 250 miles on the tank. Not really sure why the efficiency dropped so much but I don't really care that much and its been fine for 2 years like this so I'm not bothering to look into it.

relive

Ready to race!
It did 27-31 mpg highway doing 80-70 (respectively), yet the mpg went up drastically every 5mph increment below 70. 65 I could get 34-37. It was so weird how much worse my mileage was at 70 than 65.

This is just simple physics. Aerodynamic drag equals your velocity squared. 70^2 is 16% more than 65^2, so you can expect your fuel economy to be at least 16% better at 65mph than 70mph. This difference between 60mph and 55mph is even greater at 19%.

This is not even considering other factors like lower rolling resistance, less pumping losses at lower RPMs and less boost when you are going slower.

Renck

Ready to race!
8" glass screen no Nav for my MIB2 infotainment system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is just simple physics. Aerodynamic drag equals your velocity squared. 70^2 is 16% more than 65^2, so you can expect your fuel economy to be at least 16% better at 65mph than 70mph. This difference between 60mph and 55mph is even greater at 19%.

This is not even considering other factors like lower rolling resistance, less pumping losses at lower RPMs and less boost when you are going slower.
C_D may change with speed, but the v^2 approximation is still good. :)

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've read some horror stories about the whole thing shifting after taking the pendulum arm out and people unable to get the thing line up to get everything back in place. Any tips for stability?

Front on ramps, back on jack stands maybe?
You certainly want the car as level as possible. But fear not, if it shifts a tiny bit, you can push it back into place.

nype

Drag Racing Champion