GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wavetrac - any downsides?

dwbandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R | 6MT
Hi All,

Question for those that have experience with Wavetrac LSD’s - are there any downsides or disadvantages to a Wavetrac over the open diff our cars come with?

Obviously it’s a pretty penny for labor, but is there additional NVH or a negative impact to the steering from this mod?

Seems like every loves the way this transforms how the car is exits a corner. Just want to understand if there is anything I might not be considering before forking over $3k for parts and labor.

Thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Other than the cost as you said I can't think of anything negative.

Reactions: the

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Hi All,

Question for those that have experience with Wavetrac LSD’s - are there any downsides or disadvantages to a Wavetrac over the open diff our cars come with?

Obviously it’s a pretty penny for labor, but is there additional NVH or a negative impact to the steering from this mod?

Seems like every loves the way this transforms how the car is exits a corner. Just want to understand if there is anything I might not be considering before forking over $3k for parts and labor.

Thanks!
Should be very seamless when functioning. I know they aren’t the same but did a Peloquin diff in my mk6 GTI and loved it. Probably one of the best upgrades I did to that car. It really does transform the car. I was blown away the first time I took a corner. It was like someone was pulling the car around the turn. Hard to explain but yeah worth it! The price is tough to swallow for sure. I installed mine myself so I was really only into it for the price of the peloquin and some fluid.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hi All,

Thanks!
You drive an R. I've never heard of anybody installing one on an R or even getting one for an R.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I have it in my R, absolutely worth every penny. I say that because for this aspect of the car, there isn't anything you can really do fix the inherited problems.

The XDS+ system brakes the inside wheel to help you turn, but after disabling it and putting the Wavetrac in, not only do you have way less brake dust, but you will find yourself pulling out of corners much earlier. There are some benefit too on your launches I suppose - I think more so with the 6MT vs LC / DSG.

Throw in a Haldex tune and I would say for a FWD biased AWD system, you will be 98% there for a perfect set-up for getting the power down to the road. The MK8 R solves that 2% problem. Would I spend $5k on a Wavetrac rear diff? Only when one would have the FWD one done.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You drive an R. I've never heard of anybody installing one on an R or even getting one for an R.

I swear somebody on the forum has done both open diffs in an "R".....can't remember who but I've seen it...or its a different forum..either a UK or European one...

Anyway the only stuff I've written on the Wavetrack is from my big post on the GTI-PP VAQ unit here
How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

QUOTE:-

Wavetrac LSDs have a device in the centre of the diff which responds in zero load situations, quote:- "Precisely engineered wave profiles are placed on one side gear and its mating preload hub. As the two side gears rotate relative to each other, each wave surface climbs the other, causing them to move apart. Very quickly, this creates enough internal load within the LSD to stop the zero axle-load condition." The amount of preload can be adjusted by changing the standard carbon fibre bias plates for ones made from a different material & thus having a different friction coefficient, quote:- "These bias plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the bias plate, and as a function of the effective coefficient of friction, provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.".

I also found a report by someone who had a Quaife LSD in a FWD car & worked with Wavetrac to develop an LSD for his make of car (i.e. used his as a test car). He found that the Quaife was more "on -off" in its transitions whereas the Wavetrac was more neutral/smoother in its transitions.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
From personal experience installing and driving a wavetrac (in a GTI)

The wavetrac does not add any NVH or strange driving characteristics. I haven't noticed a single downside to this addition. The car has better on center steering, and is easier to flick from side to side.

Under power, you can feel the wavetrac lock up and spin both sides evenly, or pull you through a corner (but the E-diff was good in cornering as well)

Highly recommend!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I swear somebody on the forum has done both open diffs in an "R".....can't remember who but I've seen it...or its a different forum..either a UK or European one...

Anyway the only stuff I've written on the Wavetrack is from my big post on the GTI-PP VAQ unit here
How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) “Front Differential Lock” (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

QUOTE:-

Wavetrac LSDs have a device in the centre of the diff which responds in zero load situations, quote:- "Precisely engineered wave profiles are placed on one side gear and its mating preload hub. As the two side gears rotate relative to each other, each wave surface climbs the other, causing them to move apart. Very quickly, this creates enough internal load within the LSD to stop the zero axle-load condition." The amount of preload can be adjusted by changing the standard carbon fibre bias plates for ones made from a different material & thus having a different friction coefficient, quote:- "These bias plates provide a mechanism to tune the response of the differential as a function of applied torque load. The applied torque load manifests itself as an axial load from the differential pinions into the housing. This axial force is then considered a normal force into the bias plate, and as a function of the effective coefficient of friction, provide a resistive torque to the rotational motion of the differential pinions. The resistive torque will add to the resistance of relative rotation of all components within the differential. The resistive force, however, is non-uniform since it is a function of the axial load from the differential pinions. The unbalance of the resistive torque will manifest as non-uniform energy absorption within the differential causing a bias ratio.".

I also found a report by someone who had a Quaife LSD in a FWD car & worked with Wavetrac to develop an LSD for his make of car (i.e. used his as a test car). He found that the Quaife was more "on -off" in its transitions whereas the Wavetrac was more neutral/smoother in its transitions.
Yeah there is a member here that made about about doing the rear one after doing the first one -
It was in the golf r sub forums

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...l-into-differential-in-progress.381790/page-4

Also even though the IROZ car are typically build for straight line I always see them add the wavetracs still with great results.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Adding an LSD is worth every penny if you use it. Makes a huge difference on the track especially on right hand turns. I loved it. Just an opinion - not worth it if car is just a daily commuter. Worth it if you do canyon carving often or want big improvements at track (road course). My GTI got one, my MK6 R is just a daily that will not go to track and it is not going to get one.

dwbandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R | 6MT
B3894043-08C1-4ED9-BF5B-AA8007213989.png
3F37D112-A103-4DE4-88A4-C09BD5614F51.png

This is the quote I got from my shop. 14 hours of labor at $132/hr. My car is a 6MT, I believe the cost is a bit different for DSG.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

dwbandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R | 6MT
Your shop has a high hourly rate along with taking a long time for the install. Did it really take them that long to install it?
You just said you have never heard of anyone installing a Wavetrac on a R. Now your the arbiter of how long it takes to install one? 🙂

That’s just the quote they gave me, haven’t done anything yet. Just in the research phase now. This shop has been building VAG cars, from street cars to Pike’s Peak hill climb race cars, for 15 years so I don’t mind paying a bit extra for the peace of mind and knowing the job is done right.