GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf 7 GTI 2014 Headlight programming / coding adaptations

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
If I am in the car, it's the left head light. In the picture, I am in the position 0. If I change position in "side light" position or in "low beam" or "high beam" position, both drl are working with less intensity (normal way of working).

hmm........ most certainly try @ZERO815 suggestion (bad earth connections can cause really odd problems!

BUT if the problem with this car is as OP describes in the quote above (i.e. the fault changes with variations in the rotary switch position) and if the DRLs work OK sometimes - then maybe this is a control issue rather than a wiring matter?

Nevertheless, a strange problem indeed!!

Don

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
OK, thank you for your responses. If you have time, can you explain to me more precisely the good method to do this and to test wires. I'm not good in this, sorry ..

Is it possible to have the same setup in side light (position light like the attached picture) for DRL light when rotary switch is in position 0 and AUTO? Because I know it's working in side light mode. Side light = DRL led at low intensity + little dot led

And maybe if its possible to add more intensity for the U DRL led?

Or it is impossible because it’s related to the wires?

In France, every 2 years we have technical control and drl ligh is mandatory to have.

So I know it will not solve this issue but for a short period I will be able to pass this control.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

BR.

Attachments

• IMG_8537.jpg
    IMG_8537.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Is it possible to have the same setup in side light (position light like the attached picture) for DRL light when rotary switch is in position 0 and AUTO?
Try to set Leuchte2SL VLB10-Dimmwert AB 2 to 26.

can you explain to me more precisely the good method to do this and to test wires.
1700392087687.png

Basically: disconnect battery, disconnect headlight plug, disconnect BCM plug B. Connect BCM plug b pin 10 to battery negative. Connect headlight plug pin 10 to a 21w light bulb, other end of light bulb to 12V positive. If the bulb turns on the wire is OK. Move on to next wire.

I couldn't find an english video, however the following video in German gives you the idea on a vehicle. It starts around 2:09. Test wires under load.
Found another one that explains testing under load.

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
Ok thank you @ZERO815

I’ll try it. Thank you for your explanations.

About coding if I want the same setup in side light position for drl light when rotary switch is in position 0 and AUTO I’ve just have this one line to change? @ZERO815 @DV52

I think the car has been tampered with and touched in every way because I have another issue with the led red line in the driver door. I’ll open another subject session for this issue.

I am disappointed..

Thanks in advance for your response.

BR.

Last edited:

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
hmm........ most certainly try @ZERO815 suggestion (bad earth connections can cause really odd problems!

BUT if the problem with this car is as OP describes in the quote above (i.e. the fault changes with variations in the rotary switch position) and if the DRLs work OK sometimes - then maybe this is a control issue rather than a wiring matter?

Nevertheless, a strange problem indeed!!

Don
DRLs always work correctly (at low intensity) in side light switch position and in low and high beam switch position.

What do you mean by " control issue rather than a wiring matter"?

Can it be a fuse or something else?

BR.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
As I said - very strange fault !!! I've lost track of what has happened thus far!

Do I understand correctly - there are NO faults recorded on your SCAN anymore, but the left DRL won't illuminate during daylight conditions (the left DRL works OK during nightime )? The right DRL works OK all the time?

Also, you deleted the header information on your BCM admap - folk usually do this if they are using a pirated version of VCDS. The format of the channels in your BCM admap also suggests that you are using very, very outdated VCDS software (another symptom of a pirated VCDS cable).

I'm no longer a member of the Ross-Tech forum - but I don't condone IP theft! Anyway -my apology if I'm wrong about the status of your VCDS cable. In this case, please re-post a copy of the BCM admap using the latest Ross-Tech software - but this time don't delete the header (so I can see the BCM long-code string - if any)

Don

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
As I said - very strange fault !!! I've lost track of what has happened thus far!

Do I understand correctly - there are NO faults recorded on your SCAN anymore, but the left DRL won't illuminate during daylight conditions (the left DRL works OK during nightime )? The right DRL works OK all the time?

Also, you deleted the header information on your BCM admap - folk usually do this if they are using a pirated version of VCDS. The format of the channels in your BCM admap also suggests that you are using very, very outdated VCDS software (another symptom of a pirated VCDS cable).

I'm no longer a member of the Ross-Tech forum - but I don't condone IP theft! Anyway -my apology if I'm wrong about the status of your VCDS cable. In this case, please re-post a copy of the BCM admap using the latest Ross-Tech software - but this time don't delete the header (so I can see the BCM long-code string - if any)

Don

Hi Don, thanks to help me and also thanks to @ZERO815

See attached pictures to summarize all information. There is no difference between daytime and at night, issue is always the same. Right DRL is working well all the time, left DRL has an issue in 0 and AUTO switch position. No fault anymore recorded if I do a SCAN.
And when I swap headlight, the issue is always on the left side so it's not an issue related to the headlight or to the J860 module.

Here header of the BCM admap, don't know why it was not in the first Excel file:

SW:5Q0-937-084-AE HW:5Q0-937-084-AE --- Centrale Elec.
Pièce:BCM MQBAB H H16 0124, Codage:00050A46C24122F30BA44080B11C07081800000000000000000000000000
EV_BCMCONTI,012001,EV_BCMBOSCH_AU37.rod
Vendredi,04,Novembre,2022,00:47:17:05533
Version VCDS: FRM 15.7.1

I don't know about the "version" of VCDS. It's my professional boss (at my work company) who gave me VCDS because he has a SEAT LEON CUPRA, so he's using also VCDS.

And I would like to know if it's possible (of course) to "copy" the setup of side light switch mode in the setup of DRL light when switch is in position 0 and AUTO?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-20 092604.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 092604.png
    387.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-11-20 092634.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 092634.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 59
  • adpmap-09-5Q0-937-084-AE.zip
    129.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-11-20 093915.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 093915.png
    387 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
OK - You haven't provided a full SCAN - so I don't know how this car is equipped (other than details about the BCM). Importantly for this very strange problem - I don't know whether the Xenon output control modules on these headlights are controlled by the BCM, or if they are controlled by a hex55 module (Range control module).

Normally it wouldn't matter which type of headlight is installed because in both versions, the DRL module inside the headlight housing is controlled by the BCM. However, the DRL pin numbers on the headlight connector is different for each version - see my diagram below ( in my diagram J519=BCM and J680=left-side DRL module)

@ZERO815 made an excellent suggestion in an earlier post that you check the voltages of the DRL pins at the headlight connector -but you didn't respond with the results of your investigations.

So do the following and provide your findings in a further post (I need a total of 8 x Voltage readings -please):
Grab a multi-meter and using the relevant pin numbers in my drawing below:​
  1. With the rotary light switch in the 0 position and with daylightconditions:
    1. Measure the voltages (to earth) on the 2 x DRL pins for both left and right headlight connectors
  2. With the rotary light switch in the low-beamposition:
    1. Measure the voltages (to earth) on the 2 x DRL pins for both left and right headlight connectors
Don
PS: If you are not aware of how to read the wiring diagram - here are a couple of examples:
  • T46b/10 means pin #10 of the Socket B connector on the BCM which has a total of 46 x pin positions
  • T14/10 means pin #10 on the headlight connector which has a total of 14 x pin positions
  • TFL=TagFahrLicht=Daylight Running Light (this is the DRL signal wire)
  • LED=This is the power-supply wire for the LED driver circuits inside J680

Last edited:

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
Hi,

LEFT headlight:

Pin 10 -> 12.3 V switch 0 position
4.5 V low beam position

Pin 12 -> 0 V switch 0 position
12.3 V low beam position

RIGHT headlight:

Pin 10 -> 12.4 V switch 0 position
4.5 V low beam position

Pin 12 -> 12.3 V switch 0 position
12.3 V low beam position

BR.

@ZERO815 @DV52

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
OK - at least you have now isolated the problem to the wire on pin #12 on the left-side connector. This means that there is NO power supply voltage to the J680 module when in position 0 during daylight

Your Leuchte-set channels for switch position 0 for the wire on left-side connector pin #12 is:
(1)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lasttyp 4 > 1 - LED Tagfahrlichtmodul Versorgung
(2)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lampendefektbitposition 4 > 3A
(3)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 4 > 49
(4)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion A 4 > Feux de jour
(5)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion B 4 > pas actif(ve)
(6)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert AB 4 > 127
(7)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 4 > Always

Because you have said that there are no errors on the SCAN report, the BCM is clearly happy NOT to supply volts when the switch is in position 0.

If there was a break in the wire from BCM T46b/4 to connector pin T14/12, the SCAN would indicate a fault AND you wouldn't measure 12.3V on pin #12 in the low-beam position.

So, this is a very odd problem indeed !! Maybe (and I'm totally guessing) your new left-side J860 doesn't like the way that you have set-up Leuchte4TFL LB4. As a totally wild suggestion and because it's an easy try - I suggest that you make the following change ( as per @ZERO815 previous advice) :
  • (4)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion A 4 set it to "not active" and then to "Feux de jour" again
  • (6)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Dimmwert AB 4 set it to "0" and then to "127" again
  • (7)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 4 set it to "Only if closed" and then to "Always" again
If this doesn't work try this:
  • Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lasttyp 4 > 6 - LED Lichtmodul
If none of the above works, it really leaves only ONE conclusion - the internal circuits for BCM T46b/4 is faulty (I think!)

Don

Last edited:

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
Hi,

Nothing works.

Just to add one more precision, when I put (4)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion A 4 set it to "not active", my left little dot led is switch off and not active.

So maybe this little led is switched on when drl is not working (security function) like said zero815.

So I need to change BCM module?

Thanks in advance.

BR.

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
BR: I'm not sure what the "little-dot" lighting behavior means - the VW wiring diagram doesn't show how the individual lamps inside the headlight housing are connected. @ZERO815 advice (guess?) is as good as any - I think!

hmm........ changing the BCM is a non trivial-exercise and this is a very, very odd problem. I have never seen a case where the internal circuits on the BCM motherboard have failed for ONLY one Leuchte-set!! I guess this type of fault is statistically possible - but it has to be extremely rare!! Very strange indeed!!

If this was my car, I would ensure that ALL (repeat "all" for emphasis) diagnostic tests have been exhausted before making the decision to replace the BCM. For example, I assume that you have tried swapping the DRL output modules from the left/right sides - but have you tried swapping the entire headlight light fitting (temporarily, of course)?

So - both @ZERO815 and my advice is necessarily limited by our understanding of the information that you have provided throughout this thread. However and importantly, forums like this are an extremely imperfect medium for conducting remote diagnostics.

Bottom line - the decision and the accountability to replace the BCM is entirely yours!!

Don

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
Yes, I understand Don. It's my responsibility.

I've already done the swap of all headlights. See attached picture.

If I changed my BCM module, I'll need to check and do coding (if necessary) because on the market it seems that all modules are second hand.

Do you have a method to copy all settings from my current BCM module to another module when it will be installed on the car?
I've seen also that keys need to be coded for this new BCM module... I have keyless.

I'll need ODIS I think and vas5054a uds oki usb.

Thanks in advance.

BR.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-20 093916.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 093916.png
    389.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I've already done the swap of all headlights
One last test - before you venture down the BCM replacement task!!

Remove the wire from pin #12 headlight connector and with the rotary light switch in the 0 position (in daylight) connect a temporary wire from the battery to pin #12 (you might consider adding an in-line fuse to the temporary wire - for added protection). The +12V supply from the temporary wire on pin #12 should simulate the correct Leuchte4TFL LB4 condition for the DRL module in the headlight.

Does the left side DRL illuminate fully?
  • If not, the problem is down-stream of the connector (in this scenario, I suspect your zero volt measurement is caused by a load-dependent short-circuit in the headlight electronics
  • If yes -I have no further suggestions
This test is basically the same as swapping the headlight fittings - so, OK if you don't think that it's worth doing
If I changed my BCM module, I'll need to check and do coding (if necessary) because on the market it seems that all modules are second hand.
Yes! Make sure that you source a replacement BCM with like SW and HW numbers
Do you have a method to copy all settings from my current BCM module to another module when it will be installed on the car?
Before you remove the old BCM, you need to create an adaptation channel map ( it's called an "admap"). See my instructions HERE to create the admap (be careful to follow "Maps dialogue box" entries). After the new BCM is installed, also create an admap for the new module. Then compare the 2 x admaps to identify the needed changes - be aware that the channel-count in a BCM is often over 1,500!!

There's no automated method for copying the old settings into the new module with VCDS - it has to be done manually (alas). I don't suggest that you use the VCDS "restore" function for a module swap
I've seen also that keys need to be coded for this new BCM module... I have keyless.
hmm........ I don't believe this to be true??? AFAIK, keying on MQB platform cars happens in the immobilizer (which is part of the hex17 module).
I'll need ODIS I think and vas5054a uds oki usb.
The BCM on a mk7/7.5 has Component Protection (CP) . This means that on the first ignition cycle after the new BCM is installed in the car - a CP error will be generated in the new BCM and in the CAN Gateway module (which is the CP master module). The CP error will need to be deleted before you can use the new BCM. The ONLY official way to delete CP errors is via a dealer albeit I understand that this error can be hacked!

Last edited:

Toto-costaud

Car(s)
VW Golf 7 GTI 2014
One last test - before you venture down the BCM replacement task!!

Remove the wire from pin #12 headlight connector and with the rotary light switch in the 0 position (in daylight) connect a temporary wire from the battery to pin #12 (you might consider adding an in-line fuse to the temporary wire - for added protection). The +12V supply from the temporary wire on pin #12 should simulate the correct Leuchte4TFL LB4 condition for the DRL module in the headlight.

Does the left side DRL illuminate fully?
  • If not, the problem is down-stream of the connector (in this scenario, I suspect your zero volt measurement is caused by a load-dependent short-circuit in the headlight electronics
  • If yes -I have no further suggestions
This test is basically the same as swapping the headlight fittings - so, OK if you don't think that it's worth doing
Ok Don. If I have time I'll do it.

I am going to repeat myself but I don't understand why the left little dot led is lightning? Do you think the BCM module has a security code if the DRL is not working, the little dot led needs to be lightning.
Why the pin for supply the little dot led is working?

Like you said it seems very strange that BCM module have failed for one leutche set. Are we sure that all coding lines are correct? Maybe we missed something? I will double check this weekend.

Or maybe I am trying to convince me it's another issue because I don't want to change the BCM module...

Yes! Make sure that you source a replacement BCM with like SW and HW numbers
Yes ok.

Before you remove the old BCM, you need to create an adaptation channel map ( it's called an "admap"). See my instructions HERE to create the admap (be careful to follow "Maps dialogue box" entries). After the new BCM is installed, also create an admap for the new module. Then compare the 2 x admaps to identify the needed changes - be aware that the channel-count in a BCM is often over 1,500!!
Yes I know it's a lot of lines. Yes it's necessary to do admap of both BCM module to compare and do modifications.

There's no automated method for copying the old settings into the new module with VCDS - it has to be done manually (alas). I don't suggest that you use the VCDS "restore" function for a module swap
Yes, I've seen on internet so many people with big issues after doing "restore" function in VCDS.

hmm........ I don't believe this to be true??? AFAIK, keying on MQB platform cars happens in the immobilizer (which is part of the hex17 module).
hmm ok. So for the platform MQB the J519 doesn't control key and keyless for start the car, etc?

The BCM on a mk7/7.5 has Component Protection (CP) . This means that on the first ignition cycle after the new BCM is installed in the car - a CP error will be generated in the new BCM and in the CAN Gateway module (which is the CP master module). The CP error will need to be deleted before you can use the new BCM. The ONLY official way to delete CP errors is via a dealer albeit I understand that this error can be hacked!
Yes I've seen also this info on internet by doing some research. Thanks.
But is this component protection present in second hand module (already used on another car)?

To summarize I think that I will not do it myself. I found a specialized guy for VW electronics in Paris FRANCE and he will make the replacement of the BCM module.

Just for info, at VW FRANCE, just the BCM module cost 800 euros and maybe 500 euros for the labor.

Many thanks for all responses to try to solve this issue. @DV52 ; @ZERO815

BR.

Last edited: