GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The most annoying Vs moment of your life........

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The ones that make me laugh is when at a stoplight beside a guy you beat him by multiple car lengths by only 60 MPH and then back off and 5 seconds later he blows by you like he won.

Beamer2Clean

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I once tried racing this rsx it was all motor the guy said but he wouldn't race. Later I found it on instagram and it runs 12 seconds in the 1/4. Tho that was on slicks im sure on the street even he would murder a stock gti lol. So kinda glad I guess the race didn't happen.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I once tried racing this rsx it was all motor the guy said but he wouldn't race. Later I found it on instagram and it runs 12 seconds in the 1/4. Tho that was on slicks im sure on the street even he would murder a stock gti lol. So kinda glad I guess the race didn't happen.

Maybe all motor but certainly not stock.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Some kids in a very loud MS3 pull up fast next to me after I merged onto highway at let's just say a high rate of speed.

They start to slow down and downshift so I know what's up and slow down to about 50. I hold up 3 fingers to signify on 3 honks. Before I can even get my hand back on the wheel, they take off. I stay back. They slow back down.

Again, I hold up 3 fingers. This time they wait. I honk 3 times and go on 3. I look over and no one there. Look back and they're still cruising.
My exit was coming up and I don't have time for that crap. Was disappointed because it's rare to get someone to run and especially wanted to see how I would fare against an MS3.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Some kids in a very loud MS3 pull up fast next to me after I merged onto highway at let's just say a high rate of speed.

They start to slow down and downshift so I know what's up and slow down to about 50. I hold up 3 fingers to signify on 3 honks. Before I can even get my hand back on the wheel, they take off. I stay back. They slow back down.

Again, I hold up 3 fingers. This time they wait. I honk 3 times and go on 3. I look over and no one there. Look back and they're still cruising.
My exit was coming up and I don't have time for that crap. Was disappointed because it's rare to get someone to run and especially wanted to see how I would fare against an MS3.

Maybe they thought that you were flashing some kind of gang code. ?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Back 10 years ago I had an MK5 GTI with an APR stage 1 tune, six speed manual. It came with an aftermarket short shifter and perhaps the synchros were going bad as it would occasionally grind going into 2nd gear at high rpms, and I'd have to go back to neutral, clutch, and re-engage. Typically not a big deal unless racing someone (of course)...

So I found myself driving alongside a 2007ish Mustang with Shelby badges all over it. Way too many stickers and badges to be real. I strongly suspected it was a V6 with wheels, stripes, and a dual exhaust. We ended up at a light together where it merged about 1000 feet ahead. As the stop light turned yellow for the cross traffic, Mr V6/Shelby-Imposter starts creeping with his foot on the brake, so it was obviously an automatic and clearly not a Shelby. So, naturally, I felt compelled to put him in his place.

The light turned green, and we both launched. The sound of a V6 Mustang with Flowmasters was music to my ears for the first time ever as I then knew with certainty that I had him outgunned. I put about a car length on him through 1st gear while struggling for traction. I was so eager to get into 2nd and 3rd knowing full well that I would completely destroy this wannabe douche-bag. However, as I grabbed 2nd gear, all I heard was a grinding noise, and it wouldn't engage... Son-of-a bitch, I MISSED 2ND GEAR. I lifted, went back to neutral, clutched, and got back into 2nd. By now, though, I was out of boost, and out of hope. The upbadged Mustang surged ahead to the merge and got in front of me. I was so irritated and ashamed, both at my own ineptitude and the surge of confidence that the other driver falsely achieved by thinking he had the faster car.

I now have a DSG GTI, by the way... :)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
straight piped single cam civic lined up with me right before I was about to do a datalog, I put a super walmart length on him and coasted back down to the speed limit. 15-20ish seconds later he comes by still pinned and hits the hazards lol
Tortoise and the Hare all over again, a win is a win. :LOL:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
My story is the opposite; "most satisfying Vs...." Y'all are really not even trying; I once took a Porsche 911 (I think) around the outside in my auntie's 15yr old Nissan Micra (small 1.0litre, 4 speed (!) economy hatchback, very limted performance). Admittedly he was dicking around at 20MPH whilst on his phone and the next opportunity was the long way round coming off a bend. Also admittedly once he looked up he came past me at 70MPH+ my speed but, hey; I once took a Porsche around the outside in a Nissan Micra ;)....

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
Back 10 years ago I had an MK5 GTI with an APR stage 1 tune, six speed manual. It came with an aftermarket short shifter and perhaps the synchros were going bad as it would occasionally grind going into 2nd gear at high rpms, and I'd have to go back to neutral, clutch, and re-engage. Typically not a big deal unless racing someone (of course)...

So I found myself driving alongside a 2007ish Mustang with Shelby badges all over it. Way too many stickers and badges to be real. I strongly suspected it was a V6 with wheels, stripes, and a dual exhaust. We ended up at a light together where it merged about 1000 feet ahead. As the stop light turned yellow for the cross traffic, Mr V6/Shelby-Imposter starts creeping with his foot on the brake, so it was obviously an automatic and clearly not a Shelby. So, naturally, I felt compelled to put him in his place.

The light turned green, and we both launched. The sound of a V6 Mustang with Flowmasters was music to my ears for the first time ever as I then knew with certainty that I had him outgunned. I put about a car length on him through 1st gear while struggling for traction. I was so eager to get into 2nd and 3rd knowing full well that I would completely destroy this wannabe douche-bag. However, as I grabbed 2nd gear, all I heard was a grinding noise, and it wouldn't engage... Son-of-a bitch, I MISSED 2ND GEAR. I lifted, went back to neutral, clutched, and got back into 2nd. By now, though, I was out of boost, and out of hope. The upbadged Mustang surged ahead to the merge and got in front of me. I was so irritated and ashamed, both at my own ineptitude and the surge of confidence that the other driver falsely achieved by thinking he had the faster car.

I now have a DSG GTI, by the way... :)

I have a similar story in my K04 MKV from 4 years or so ago. There's a small piece of plastic that holds a ball and socket mechanism in the shifter linkage. That small $2 piece of plastic was worn out from 150k miles of driving, so the ball would occasionally pop out when I shifted hard, or the plastic would spin around and I wouldn't be able to shift into the next gear. I had already ordered APR's short shifter kit and it was in the mail, but one night coming home from a soccer game, i noticed a set of lights riding my ass. I was just getting off my exit (offramp loop style) from the highway and hit it pretty fast and hard, the car behind me tried like hell to keep up, but I watched his ass kick out and he almost spun out hitting the loop too hard and fast. As soon as we got off, I drove normally laughing to myself thinking I got the best of him, but he flew up beside me and paced me. I noticed it was a 370Z that was lowered and loud as hell. The guy rolled down his window and started yelling something to me, so I rolled down mine and noticed he was asking for a 40mph roll. I obliged thinking I was going to demolish him as I have done to other 370Zs. He honks, we take off side by side, go to shift into 3rd gear, and that $2 linkage grinds away and I can't get into 3rd. He destroys me, and to make it worse, we roll up to the next light side by side. The first thing he says is "nice try". I told him I missed 3rd, he laughed at me then said ok lets do it again for $20. I of course say I can't, because my shifter is fucked up, to which he laughs at again and says "yeah right" sarcastically.

I still think about the encounter and cringe and get pissed off about it. I had to go home and flip that shifter linkage piece into place too since I had to work first thing in the morning.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This whole thread......