GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Where's the fluid and filter?

Second page of my invoice listed with the regular oil filter/fluid :(

Still though... +$154... we're not even close to other quotes...

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Second page of my invoice listed with the regular oil filter/fluid :(

Still though... +$154... we're not even close to other quotes...

Wavetrac confirmed 8-12 hours book time. Of course, feel free to email them (or call the number on their website) yourselves... 16 hours is just outrageous.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Who quoted 16?

$2,000 labor cost in Nebraska...

No way that shop's hourly rate is more than $125 right? (maybe a bad assumption)

16 x 125 = $2,000

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
$2,000 labor cost in Nebraska...

No way that shop's hourly rate is more than $125 right? (maybe a bad assumption)

16 x 125 = $2,000
Yes. $1,854 in parts, $1,920 in labor for the Wavetrac install. $3,900 total with tax. This a pretty big investment for a single mod that isn't a new engine.

What’s the shops hourly rate? Pretty sure the Book rate for just dropping the trans and reinstalling the trans is 6-7hours.

I’m not sure of the detail involved in opening the DSG trans housing VS the Manual but something like 3 hours on the actually wavetrac differential install portion is not excessive at all. So for a shop that at 150-200ish an hour it’s not hard to see it get there (for a quote that is)

The problem is with the majority of the perspective you get from the forum is from people who don’t even know the actual detail involved in installing a diff, in these cars.

Id be interested in seeing what’s all with the parts that it’s hitting $1800 though.

There are performance shops that do charge a high crazy rate in the 150-200 range regardless of area if the clientele base is built

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
There are performance shops that do charge a high crazy rate in the 150-200 range regardless of area if the clientele base is built

Got it, that sucks then...

I guess there are so many performance shops in the Hudson Valley/NYC area that they drive each other down? Eurotech Motorsports is the highest I've come a crossed at $139 an hour and they do that because they get away with it based on their clientele in Bergen County NJ (super car owners).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So either I got the deal of a lifetime on my install or y'all are going to shops that are overcharging on labor rate and/or book time.

$1,035 in labor ($115 an hour - 9 hours quoted)
$1,175 for Wavetrac (P/N: 10.309.187WK)
$80 bearing kit
$20 shim kit
$33 misc (bolts/seals)
$207.94 tax
$2,559.94 total

Emailed Wavetrac before I agreed to the quote/had the shop perform the job, they confirmed the quote was reasonable.
That's reasonable. Mine charged me a lot less, but they were doing clutch at the same time

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Maybe I missed it, did OP ever figure out how to code the error lights
Keeping the diff module plugged in did not throw any codes.

I was being stupid and off-roading the GTI shortly after finishing the build and the module was ripped off by a rock, so codes came back.

I located a spare, but then had my accident back in July and the wiring was damaged. Have not gotten to re-pinning and installing the new module yet, so not 100% sure. Will hopefully have the time/money to get back at it after the holidays here, life has gotten in the way of progress on the car lately.

Bryans12v

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 GTI, 22 Tig Rline
I'm preparing a WT install on a 19 GTI PP car. I was under the assumption the VAQ unit can remain installed and plugged in without issues.

Is this not the case?

Anyone with a PP car install a WT and leave the VAQ unit in?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You can leave the VAQ in place. I’m running both and track on a regular basis.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You can leave the VAQ in place. I’m running both and track on a regular basis.

True..... but removing the VAQ unit means a nice weight reduction, less electronics to worry about & you don't have to service it every 3yrs..... (y)