GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping a Wavetrac LSD into a VAQ Equipped car

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I think it is an honest quote from a very good shop thatI trust. It isn’t cheap so it comes down to deciding whether the investment is something I want to do. I’ve been split on this and just getting a new GTI-S with the VAQ differential. But I like that my S without PP brakes weighs in under 3,000 pounds with a DSG. A new PP car would come in about 150 pounds heavier. I don’t track my car so the 312mm brakes work fine for Omaha roads and a monthly autocross.

Assuming installation of the Wavetrac, my question is whether any OBD11 customization is needed to get rid of the XDS brake vectoring that simulates a real LSD.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I think it is an honest quote from a very good shop thatI trust. It isn’t cheap so it comes down to deciding whether the investment is something I want to do. I’ve been split on this and just getting a new GTI-S with the VAQ differential. But I like that my S without PP brakes weighs in under 3,000 pounds with a DSG. A new PP car would come in about 150 pounds heavier. I don’t track my car so the 312mm brakes work fine for Omaha roads and a monthly autocross.

Assuming installation of the Wavetrac, my question is whether any OBD11 customization is needed to get rid of the XDS brake vectoring that simulates a real LSD.
Yes, you will need OBDEleven, you can borrow mine ;)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

If you don't track, you really don't need the wavetrac either. 🤷‍♂️

I own an 18 S and 19 rabbit, zero difference in street driving.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
He’s an autocrosser

Ah, then yeah, VAQ or LSD are a must. I ran the 18 S in GS for one year and XDS would fry the front tires and brakes. It would be an hour before they we're cool enough to swap my street setup back on. Melted the center caps.

With VAQ, the fronts don't heat up half as much.

Last edited:

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Second quote is pretty close to the first one. This was from shop in another city. $3,800-$3,900 seems to be a reasonable cost to purchase and install a Wavetrac.
82DCFB50-4095-4EB9-8F9F-5AAE58E74A3E.jpeg

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Wow that's what I get for reading without thinking. Usually I save that for how I drive during autocross (mostly kidding).

I'm sure my wife would be up for a trip to Branson, but yeah I totally read what I wanted to see instead of what you wrote. None the less I'll be curious to get the estimate from PHP as they seemed very familiar with this install.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
$1900-$2000 in labor to install a Wavetrac is a fair price for a DSG which would take longer than a 6MT.

After having done this job myself on my 6MT, there is a fair amount of additional work splitting the trans. I needed to grind the casing to clearance the Wavetrac LSD. I also needed to purchase some tooling to pull one of the bearing cups. Plus a cheap digital dial indicator to check the end play and get that adjusted correctly. It took me a lot longer than a proficient VW shop.

My install:
Post in thread '2017 GTi PP at VIR'
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/post-7618261

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
So either I got the deal of a lifetime on my install or y'all are going to shops that are overcharging on labor rate and/or book time.

$1,035 in labor ($115 an hour - 9 hours quoted)
$1,175 for Wavetrac (P/N: 10.309.187WK)
$80 bearing kit
$20 shim kit
$33 misc (bolts/seals)
$207.94 tax
$2,559.94 total

Emailed Wavetrac before I agreed to the quote/had the shop perform the job, they confirmed the quote was reasonable.

Edit: I did leave out the DSG filter + oil as Diggs pointed out which was $167.67 ($154 parts, $13.67 tax)

So for clarity/context/reference...

$167.67 + $2,559.94

$2,727.61 was my total for the complete install

Last edited:

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I have a DSG....

Unless they shaved hours off because I had them do a bunch of other work at the same time... But I don't see how others are being quoted DOUBLE in labor... How? Wavetrac confirmed the quote (my quote) was good.