GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
AWD cars should be in STX or STU. I think they should have made STH FWD only.

True, but doesn't change the fact that a damn near stock gti beat us both

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Sooooo. I can't drive on the rain.

Spun out first 2 runs today. Was running 30F 32R.

Finally 3rd run, lowered rears to 30 & corralled it in and got a decent run. But understeered in some places. I guess that's the trade off.

Only other car in STH was a Saaburu wagon and he was running ~48. And ended with a 46.98

Only other GTI was in GS on AS tires and kicked my ass with 46.9. 😭

My times
58.507 spin​
61.488 spin​
52.050 30R​
49.120 tc on​
48.441 tc on
48.150 +1
Tc sport​
What tires are you running? Tires make the biggest difference in wet.

30 also sounds SUPER low if you're not running something with a very hard sidewall, which likely isn't going to do well in rain anyway.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What tires are you running? Tires make the biggest difference in wet.

30 also sounds SUPER low if you're not running something with a very hard sidewall, which likely isn't going to do well in rain anyway.

Re71

Confusing sorry.
30/32 is what I started cold. And hot they were 32/34 and brought it down to 32/32 hot which I translated to 30/30 cold

Normally I run 34F 36R hot in the dry

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, a stock car with newish MSP4S will beat on an STH car on worn RE71Rs in the rain. I've been pretty lucky to only have 2 rain events in the last 5 years in Florida. We're usually wrapping up our events when the afternoon thunderstorms roll in.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Last autox of the season. Only a month and a half after it happened lol.

Slow moving course worker and a missing cone distracted me at the end of the runway. Should have stopped for the rerun, instead understeered right into a cone (should have been 3 cones, only 2 were up. Yay Target fixation!)

Also forgot to turn stabilization off so hard to see rotation of the car.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Last autox of the season. Only a month and a half after it happened lol.

Slow moving course worker and a missing cone distracted me at the end of the runway. Should have stopped for the rerun, instead understeered right into a cone (should have been 3 cones, only 2 were up. Yay Target fixation!)

Also forgot to turn stabilization off so hard to see rotation of the car.
Absolutely loved that course. Looks like in some places you're a tad tight on the cones, meaning you're driving towards them and as a result have to turn after you've already passed them (example, last slalom cone @10s). Giving yourself a little more room should help you be able to turn in earlier too.

Shamelessly going to share the video of the STR car I drove that day because it was hilarious fun.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That video made me really miss my Miata. 😪

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Driving it made me really want an STR ND, but such a one trick pony

After header and race exhaust, my Miata was nicknamed the drone chamber of death. I couldn't drive with the top up without my ears bleeding and it wasn't much better down. My car was the subject of multiple neighborhood Facebook page complaints. Good times.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What do you mean? The ND seems like it should be excellent for track use as well (I haven't driven one yet)

They are. I have a buddy with a 19 that's set up for CS and he swaps pads, rear sway, and has wider track wheels and tires. Blackwox roll bar too. I'm trying to get my dad to get motivated to get his ND2 setup the same, but he keeps tracking his B spec prepped Mazda 2. It's so slow. Lol.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
They are. I have a buddy with a 19 that's set up for CS and he swaps pads, rear sway, and has wider track wheels and tires. Blackwox roll bar too. I'm trying to get my dad to get motivated to get his ND2 setup the same, but he keeps tracking his B spec prepped Mazda 2. It's so slow. Lol.
ND would be great on track, but autox and track setups are pretty different. The autox setup sort of tries to kill you with rotation at 50mph. It's easily controllable, but way too much for track duty

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
ND would be great on track, but autox and track setups are pretty different. The autox setup sort of tries to kill you with rotation at 50mph. It's easily controllable, but way too much for track duty

He manages top 3 pax and tracking it.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
For what it's worth the STR Brad was driving is consistently top pax in the BMW group by over a second. Great driver obviously, but holy cow is that car fast as setup.
That car is easily top pax at any SCCA event as well, unless Billy (Davis) shows up