GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Was this Will's car?
It wasn't, it was Matt's car. It took second at FLR solo this year (behind, you guessed it, Billy Davis)

Wills car was just as fast or faster, it appeared to be pretty course dependent on whether ND1 or ND2 would be faster

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not a great test, because it was raining and mid 40's, but my co driver and I laid down some really good runs yesterday. Him 4th pax overall, me 6th pax overall. 1 and 2 in class, but was just the two of us. Lol.

Full tread depth V730's did really well in the rain, I was surprised. I had to choose between wear limit RE71R's with 100 runs on them, my Falken FK510's and new V730's. I think I made the right choice. They were surprisingly good.

For reference, top pax was a GT4 that's nationally competitive and we were 3 seconds back raw on a 50 to 60 second course.

Loving the konis, they were perfect for these conditions.

Next steps install the intercooler sitting in my office, right next to the 353 rear springs and offset bushings that need to be installed.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wish some of you better drivers were in Texas area.

Don't know how you all get top 5 overall.

I am usually 35-40 out of 120 pax

Got 1st in class yesterday..... Out of 1, but was 46th raw, 35th pax overall.

The Golf R that used to be in STH, but is now in xsa was 43.3 and i was 43.9, so feel like my pace is not far off.

bfury5

Autocross Champion

The Golf R that used to be in STH, but is now in xsa was 43.3 and i was 43.9, so feel like my pace is not far off.
Locally I'm happy if I'm top 20 pax, new England region is dumb competitive

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Anybody play around with Swift Assist springs? https://www.swiftsprings.com/products/assist-helper-springs/

Can't get low enough in the rear with the 8" 110N/mm springs without losing preload at full droop, so was going to a 7" spring and add a helper. Saw these and they make a fair amount of sense - seems like they'd make potholes better handled and maybe increase traction on inside rear tire when it's in droop (assuming the rear sway bar doesn't hold it up out of droop).

I guess there is a possibility that when you remove some load from the wheel you decrease spring rate significantly so you might lose a bit of traction before you get into significant droop if the spring rate of the helper is too high.

For reference, golf r rear corner weights are roughly 750/680, so all of the options would be fully compressed at rest (as intended).

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I run a 7” and helper in the rear. Had the same issue with my 12k 8” swift spring
F3569D9F-21B3-49CC-97EA-FE8D5BB48535.jpeg
6515098B-7790-42D5-87AE-7E424F696CAC.jpeg
D483B752-F418-47E9-82E4-72B6990FA361.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I need to check. I know I got an assist spring for the front. Going to go with 9k 7” up front. I cannot remember what I got for the rear. It may also be an assist spring.
The main spring in picture is a 7”.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So my experiment with slotting the strut tower to get more negative camber is over, and if your using standard diameter front springs, it just doesn't work well.

After last event, I started to get a clunck in the right front. The spring was contacting the strut tower and caused the top strut nut to come loose.

The whole time during this experiment, I'd get terrible noises when turning the wheels, like the bushings were binding.

Today. I tightened the strut nuts and backed off on the camber I'd dialed in with the slotting, it's as quiet as stock now, no awful noises.

Went from -2.2 to -1.8, so lost -0.4. I should gain that back with the offset bushings.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

So are you in XSA (I am)? If so, you"re/we're pretty screwed wrt PAX. Std Golf has no place to go for PAX.

Have fun anyhow.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
So are you in XSA (I am)? If so, you"re/we're pretty screwed wrt PAX. Std Golf has no place to go for PAX.

Have fun anyhow.

I'm actually in sth, but should be in xsa because of my turbo which actually hurts more than helps. If I was ever going to go outside my local area, I'd go XSA.

Oh damn... And my 6spd transmission swap. Forgot about that.

My logic is if another car in the same class has the same part, it should be legal. Is38, gti tranny