GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Those were the worst conditions I've ever autocrossed in. 51 degrees all day long, pouring rain, and windy. Just miserable.

Before my run group, I was drying my socks on the dash with the heater. Worked pretty well.

Forecast was little drizzle. Little drizzle my ass.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Having taken top pax locally on the A052 in the wet, they are absolute monsters as long as there isn't substantial standing water. Also not surprised that two AWD cars are doing better in the wet. Nice work hustling the FWD to 8th/100

Thanks, those little 225 width FK510 were doing their best.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Those were the worst conditions I've ever autocrossed in. 51 degrees all day long, pouring rain, and windy. Just miserable.

Before my run group, I was drying my socks on the dash with the heater. Worked pretty well.

Forecast was little drizzle. Little drizzle my ass.
Learned my lesson working the track and it started pouring. Luckily I keep a change of clothes in the car. Now I keep rain pants and jacket and an extra pair of shoes when I go.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Thanks, those little 225 width FK510 were doing their best.
Those tires are no joke. When I did a track day on them, instructor was shocked on how much grip they had

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Learned my lesson working the track and it started pouring. Luckily I keep a change of clothes in the car. Now I keep rain pants and jacket and an extra pair of shoes when I go.

Oh I have all that, I didn't bring it. I was in full on denial that it was going to be that bad.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
I don't know if it would have helped, I'm pretty sure the rain was coming up from the ground instead of the down from clouds today.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't know if it would have helped, I'm pretty sure the rain was coming up from the ground instead of the down from clouds today.

I just looked after waking up from a nap, last run group was dry and pushed us out of top ten. Crap, I thought it was just novice in the last run group. Well that sucks.

You killed it in GS today, though.
Good job, man.

Last edited:

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Haha nah it was all of SS and two karts. I don't think I've ever placed that well in pax so I'll take it, even if those jerks pushed me from 3rd to 12th.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Currently have 7" 280lbs springs in the rear with the front APR springs at lowest the MSS collar will go. Still too much rake. Ordered 6" 335lbs springs.

Well see how that works. Pretty excited.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Currently have 7" 280lbs springs in the rear with the front APR springs at lowest the MSS collar will go. Still too much rake. Ordered 6" 335lbs springs.
This is pretty surprising to me. I just installed 7" 350lbf/in spring in the rear of my car and have the coil collar at max height to get it to stay ~24.5" from the ground to the fender. If I did it again I'd get 8" springs for the rear. Our hardware must be very different somehow.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is pretty surprising to me. I just installed 7" 350lbf/in spring in the rear of my car and have the coil collar at max height to get it to stay ~24.5" from the ground to the fender. If I did it again I'd get 8" springs for the rear. Our hardware must be very different somehow.

Mine has a helper spring that doesn't collapse like a normal helper spring. MSS sourced the spring from Eibach.

You're absolutely right, without that secondary spring, I'd likely need at least an 8" spring.

With the current spring, I can't get less than 14.5" Want 14.25".

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Laugh for the day.

FB_IMG_1636574896451.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Sooooo. I can't drive on the rain.

Spun out first 2 runs today. Was running 30F 32R.

Finally 3rd run, lowered rears to 30 & corralled it in and got a decent run. But understeered in some places. I guess that's the trade off.

Only other car in STH was a Saaburu wagon and he was running ~48. And ended with a 46.98

Only other GTI was in GS on AS tires and kicked my ass with 46.9. 😭

My times
58.507 spin​
61.488 spin​
52.050 30R​
49.120 tc on​
48.441 tc on
48.150 +1
Tc sport​

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sooooo. I can't drive on the rain.

Spun out first 2 runs today. Was running 30F 32R.

Finally 3rd run, lowered rears to 30 & corralled it in and got a decent run. But understeered in some places. I guess that's the trade off.

Only other car in STH was a Saaburu wagon and he was running ~48. And ended with a 46.98

Only other GTI was in GS on AS tires and kicked my ass with 46.9. 😭

My times
58.507 spin​
61.488 spin​
52.050 30R​
49.120 tc on​
48.441 tc on
48.150 +1
Tc sport​

AWD cars should be in STX or STU. I think they should have made STH FWD only.