GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Ran on my new tires, the V730’s today. Temps less than ideal, mid 40°’s and overcast until afternoon session. Hope tomorrow is better.

Also was able to start to figure out the new SoloStorm app and GoPro.

Also had the most smoke screen put up in a long time on the last sweeping right hand turn. Might be time for a catchcan.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm interested to hear how you like the V730's. I'm trying to decide RT660 or V730 for a two driver car in Florida heat.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Today was a better day. More sun, better temps, and the tires feeling much better.

9th in PAX
11th in raw

As for the tires, I’m not sure how they’d be during the summer heat. I mean today I felt the temps were great, and the tires had enough runs to get nice and broken in. I don’t think I’m to the level of shaving hundredths of a second off times based on tires, so I may not be the best to go off of.

But so far with one good day of fall temps, I like them.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Today was a better day. More sun, better temps, and the tires feeling much better.

9th in PAX
11th in raw

As for the tires, I’m not sure how they’d be during the summer heat. I mean today I felt the temps were great, and the tires had enough runs to get nice and broken in. I don’t think I’m to the level of shaving hundredths of a second off times based on tires, so I may not be the best to go off of.

Holy cow this is a terrible place to stand. Hands in pockets too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-041205.png
    Screenshot_20211101-041205.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 57

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Earlier this year I had a course worker walk out to get the first cone in a slalom near the finish that the car ahead of me knocked over, then stand there, with his back to me. I saw him at the turn around, and thought, he'll move. Next element, can still see him. He'll move. One more element to go, surely he'll move, I can see people yelling at him. 60 mph headed towards slalom now, I abort and brake, turning towards middle is course, he panics, and instead of running OFF the course, he sprints towards the opposite side the course, running straight in front of me, while I'm braking. Not once did he look to see my car or where I was on the course.

I was so mad. Threw away my rerun with the red mist of anger still burning in my eyes.

The second dumbest thing I've ever seen autocrossung over the last 38 years.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Holy cow this is a terrible place to stand. Hands in pockets too.

There is a light pole off to the left of where they’re standing where most were huddling around, and I know they were just chasing cones.

Can’t really say what they were doing long term, but they weren’t a factor to me at that point in time, and my other videos I don’t see anyone there.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion

9th in PAX
11th in raw

Was going to say your driving style is very, point and shoot, but I actually just think it's that course design/ limited by lot?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Was going to say your driving style is very, point and shoot, but I actually just think it's that course design/ limited by lot?

I've been out of the Autocross mix since 2016, in which I had a M3 then. I have a car that can overcompensate for my poor driving, all of which I'm trying to smooth out.

I was actually a little disappointed with how small the course was, for such a big lot. My home region we're limited on lot size, and the lot in Boise is maybe three times our average size. I'm not a course designer, so I tend to not critique too bad, but I think they could utilize the space a little better.

I'm camber limited, and need to figure out what I'm going to do there. I'd also like to ditch the factory suspension, but would like to keep the DCC capability, so I'm limited there.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I've been out of the Autocross mix since 2016, in which I had a M3 then. I have a car that can overcompensate for my poor driving, all of which I'm trying to smooth out.

I was actually a little disappointed with how small the course was, for such a big lot. My home region we're limited on lot size, and the lot in Boise is maybe three times our average size. I'm not a course designer, so I tend to not critique too bad, but I think they could utilize the space a little better.

I'm camber limited, and need to figure out what I'm going to do there. I'd also like to ditch the factory suspension, but would like to keep the DCC capability, so I'm limited there.
Oh yeah, that wasn't actually a critique of your driving, the course looked like a lot of tight hairpins / 90s with point and accelerate portions between. It sucks that lot size / availability is so varied, the same with course designers

Reactions: krs

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok, so it's going to be a high of 57 and raining for the event on Saturday.

FK510's or RE71Rs at the wear strips?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
An Audi TT and a WRX wrecked me 3 and 2 seconds respectively. Both were on A052, which from what TR says, are one of the best in the rain they've ever tasted. I was the best of the also ran FWD cars. I had another second in the car, but pushed wide in 3 corners on the back side of the course where it had been rock solid the first 2 runs. What are you gonna do?

I guess it's pay back for all the times I prayed for rain when I was running my STIs.

What's funny is I'm 3rd in STH, 8th of 100 pax.

Edit, got bumped out of top 10 pax, thought they'd put all novice in the last run group and I left early. SS and carts were in with 4th group and got a dry track.

Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
An Audi TT and a WRX wrecked me 3 and 2 seconds respectively. Both were on A052, which from what TR says, are one of the best in the rain they've ever tasted. I was the best of the also ran FWD cars. I had another second in the car, but pushed wide in 3 corners on the back side of the course where it had been rock solid the first 2 runs. What are you gonna do?

I guess it's pay back for all the times I prayed for rain when I was running my STIs.

What's funny is I'm 3rd in STH, 8th of 100 pax.
Having taken top pax locally on the A052 in the wet, they are absolute monsters as long as there isn't substantial standing water. Also not surprised that two AWD cars are doing better in the wet. Nice work hustling the FWD to 8th/100

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I usually narrow the gaps with RWD in those conditions. More power on oversteer for them to manage.