GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
but I did break the evap canister clip. That thing is literally impossible to get to. I just zip tied it back and secured it with the lower bolt as it was.
Ha. I did the same thing. Not on purpose but through trying to wiggle it out the top just snapped back.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Ha. I did the same thing. Not on purpose but through trying to wiggle it out the top just snapped back.

Same. Why couldn't they mold that plastic tank slightly differently to allow clear access to that strut mount bolt? It's so close! 😂

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Just wrapped up my front strut install. While i don’t want to get too caught up in waxing poetically about a piece of metal from china, the tool that Maiden69 posted made the job nice and easy. Very minimal effort installing the new koni struts. I did lube it with some motor oil laying around but I did not need to sand paint. I was able to seat the passenger side in 75% by hand and very minimal lifting control arm with the jack there after. The OEM struts basically fell out of the knuckle. Bear in mind, I did take the axle out of the hub rather than 2x4 method but it really wasn’t bad at all.

Most frustrating part was having impact guns I couldn’t use because all my deep impact sockets were sizes suited to Japanese cars so I basically had to do the job by hand. Otherwise no real hiccups to speak of. Thanks to all contributors to the thread!

Below is a picture of the difference in how much wider the other style tool spreads compared to one of the socket bits (not easy to see in pic but significantly wider).
196EC4DB-ACBE-437B-8BE0-D403317B944A.jpeg

8PA3

I broke my EVAP clip as well but was able to fab up a new one (sorta) with zip ties. It works just as well as the original clip except you are free to yank the canister down without fear of breaking, the zip ties will rotate out of the way with enough force. Just be sure you get them nice and tight if you try this.
20230603_121344_HDR.jpg
20230603_121324_HDR.jpg
20230603_120401_HDR.jpg

8PA3

Just wrapped up my front strut install. While i don’t want to get too caught up in waxing poetically about a piece of metal from china, the tool that Maiden69 posted made the job nice and easy. Very minimal effort installing the new koni struts. I did lube it with some motor oil laying around but I did not need to sand paint. I was able to seat the passenger side in 75% by hand and very minimal lifting control arm with the jack there after. The OEM struts basically fell out of the knuckle. Bear in mind, I did take the axle out of the hub rather than 2x4 method but it really wasn’t bad at all.

Most frustrating part was having impact guns I couldn’t use because all my deep impact sockets were sizes suited to Japanese cars so I basically had to do the job by hand. Otherwise no real hiccups to speak of. Thanks to all contributors to the thread!

Below is a picture of the difference in how much wider the other style tool spreads compared to one of the socket bits (not easy to see in pic but significantly wider).
View attachment 277853
Apologies for the double post but I finished up my fronts today. I tried this tool but it just snapped internally before getting anywhere close to a wide enough gap to pull the factory strut out... Just a word of warning to anyone else considering it.

I went out and bought a chisel as a few users mentioned in this thread and it worked extremely well. So well that I'm tempted to throw my traditional socket spreader-tool in the trash. I was able to get my Koni yellows to slide right in without any paint damage, and no grease needed. I am running the Koni's with DG springs, which is a combo I could not find a single review on. After a 15 minute test drive on some particularly rough roads, I am really impressed with the balance of comfort and handling. I will update as I get more miles on the setup. For now I am off to bed after a long day of wrenching.

Attachments

• 20230604_230302.jpg
    20230604_230302.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 65
  • received_806516863911291.jpeg
    received_806516863911291.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 67
  • received_803858108033486.jpeg
    received_803858108033486.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 68

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Apologies for the double post but I finished up my fronts today. I tried this tool but it just snapped internally before getting anywhere close to a wide enough gap to pull the factory strut out... Just a word of warning to anyone else considering it.

I went out and bought a chisel as a few users mentioned in this thread and it worked extremely well. So well that I'm tempted to throw my traditional socket spreader-tool in the trash. I was able to get my Koni yellows to slide right in without any paint damage, and no grease needed. I am running the Koni's with DG springs, which is a combo I could not find a single review on. After a 15 minute test drive on some particularly rough roads, I am really impressed with the balance of comfort and handling. I will update as I get more miles on the setup. For now I am off to bed after a long day of wrenching.

I like the chisel idea…

95b14

Go Kart Newbie

That’s a bummer. I guess I was lucky or you were unlucky. I planned to use chisels as a backup if the tool didn’t work. Glad you got the job done either way.

Edit: I wonder if the additional force on the knuckle using the 2x4 method contributed to the tool breaking. I did it the “traditional” way. The chisel seems like the most superior tool for this job.

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I think they should limit the travel of that tool... I can't see it breaking unless the user tries to over extend it. I also have one of those oblong strut spreader tools I used swapping my wife'a SQ5 springs and the amount you need to pry to allow the strut to separate is minimal.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think they should limit the travel of that tool... I can't see it breaking unless the user tries to over extend it. I also have one of those oblong strut spreader tools I used swapping my wife'a SQ5 springs and the amount you need to pry to allow the strut to separate is minimal.
Unless you're installing konis. Ask me how I know.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Unless you're installing konis. Ask me how I know.
I'm doing that soon I hope, if I have to sand down the paint so be it. Don't you think that maybe the fact that most people do the 2x4 method may have something to do with it? I think it was super easy on the SQ5 because the lower strut wishbone separates from the control arm allowing it to slide out.

to be fair those are Chinese knock offs of the original Hazet Germany 4912-5 which is the current factory VW/Audi spreader tool VAS751003.

https://vw.snapon.com/FileServerRoo...S/VWTools/Brochures/VAS751003_User_Manual.PDF

View attachment 283090View attachment 283091
Yes, seen this one before. The mechanic that did the alignment at the dealership for the SQ5 said that those break as well, and that the first copies out were prone to breakage. The one I posted about is supposed to be the revision with a moving pin.

Track R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
R
I'm doing that soon I hope, if I have to sand down the paint so be it. Don't you think that maybe the fact that most people do the 2x4 method may have something to do with it? I think it was super easy on the SQ5 because the lower strut wishbone separates from the control arm allowing it to slide out.

Yes, seen this one before. The mechanic that did the alignment at the dealership for the SQ5 said that those break as well, and that the first copies out were prone to breakage. The one I posted about is supposed to be the revision with a moving pin.

I'm sure it happens but I've yet to break one or see one break, I use the older version VAG3424 but will start to imprint if used to many times on the same aluminum uprights but works ok for the cast uprights.

I know Hazet has released a revised universal spreader this year but not as a factory tool revise and the max limit is 11.5 for the spreader and 8mm for VAG uprights

https://www.hazet.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/7584

276E898E-831B-4836-AB5C-E3EAA6574F78.jpeg

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

8PA3

I have both, not the originals though...

This I used with the SQ5 last weekend, no complaints, did what it was supposed to and stayed in place all the time,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M6GHM93/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this one has a beefier center section. This I bought for the Koni install... more to follow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BHQ5DYDD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Best of luck, like I said that tool couldn't even get the knuckle spread enough to remove the factory Sachs unit. I'm sure the official Hazet one is better quality, though!