GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Man, that spreader chewed up that aluminum.

Yeah the metal nerd spreader bit did the exact same to mine. 😡 Not looking forward to going back in to install B8s soon.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I am close to installing my Koni Yellows, probably next weekend. Order one of those "new" tools on Amazon to see how it works. I also have one of those cam style spreaders but after hearing all the issues with koni being slightly thicker decided to get the spreading tool .

1674826890727.png

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I am close to installing my Koni Yellows, probably next weekend. Order one of those "new" tools on Amazon to see how it works. I also have one of those cam style spreaders but after hearing all the issues with koni being slightly thicker decided to get the spreading tool .

View attachment 271439

Sand down the paint on the konis, grease the body, and inside of knuckle, and sacrifice a chicken.

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
Been reading this entire thread for over an hour and feeling confident. I plan to install KW V2's on my 2019 (18k miles) here in the upcoming weeks (Spring). I've read suggestions about replacing upper strut bearing (5Q0-412-249-F) and that's fine. With the KW's, suggestions on how to install the upper strut mount? Remove from stock strut and transfer over to the KW?

Brian_

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Been reading this entire thread for over an hour and feeling confident. I plan to install KW V2's on my 2019 (18k miles) here in the upcoming weeks (Spring). I've read suggestions about replacing upper strut bearing (5Q0-412-249-F) and that's fine. With the KW's, suggestions on how to install the upper strut mount? Remove from stock strut and transfer over to the KW?
I’d just get new mounts and bearings.
Add in new strut top nut as well if the KW kit doesn’t come with their own.
Parts are cheap enough that it’s worth replacing them while you have the struts out anyway and will help eliminate possibilities if you end up having to troubleshoot suspension noises after install.
Also makes the job easier if you’re swapping out entire assembled struts.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
x2 on that

The KW's come with a new strut nut, so if you buy new strut mounts & bearings.....you can fully assemble the new coilovers (ahead of time) without having to take apart your stock struts, making it an easier swap (out).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Thanks everyone. What is the part # for the strut mounts? Or should I go 034 full set with bearings?
The part numbers are in the first post of this thread. I ran the 034s for a bit... They added some harshness, as expected being aluminum, but also some noise when turning it really low speeds.

mattjewell

Car(s)
MK7.5
Just purchased the following from FCP:

(2) 5QM412249
(2) 5Q0412331E

According to the instructions KW provides for install, the top nut on the strut is 50Nm (37 ft-lb). Per page #1, stock strut indicates 60Nm. Assuming I need to follow KW torque specs instead?

Attachments

• KW.png
    KW.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 58

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Hey guys - I'm circling back to this thread after a few years when I first installed my Eibach Pros. I just ordered some Bilstein B8s to replace the factory stuff since the rears are getting bouncy and a little creaky. My '17 GTI has ~35k miles total and the Eibachs have been on since 2019 and for ~22k miles. I also replaced the front strut bearings at that time. My question is... should I buy this complete front strut mount kit and this rear kit or should I be safe to just grab 2 replacement strut bearings for the front (VAG-5Q0412249E) and the longer strut mount bolts for both F/R?

g6pun

Car(s)
Golf GTI Performance
Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this old threat but been reading a lot.

I had a set of Bilstein b16 Damptronic coilovers fitted to my GTI and ever since the install the rears have been clunking at low speeds on all types of road surfaces.

I don’t think my mechanic replaced any bolts but the strut mounts were replaced.

Should I just go ahead and order the “everything” list from the first post and see what happens?

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this old threat but been reading a lot.

I had a set of Bilstein b16 Damptronic coilovers fitted to my GTI and ever since the install the rears have been clunking at low speeds on all types of road surfaces.

I don’t think my mechanic replaced any bolts but the strut mounts were replaced.

Should I just go ahead and order the “everything” list from the first post and see what happens?

Sounds like something wasn't torqued to spec. Possibly the endlinks.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie

View attachment 271439
So how did this tool work out for you? I’m about to install some special actives on the front in a week or two and am sort of dreading it now after reading the last few pages. I already ordered this tool, just curious for feedback on it.

Also, I’m just undoing the axle seeing as konis seem to be less agreeable to the 2x4 method. The axle bolts and ball joint nuts were literally $10 for both sides on the VW parts website.