GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
No.
My Tapatalk name is slightly different. It will not allow a space so it keeps a separate count. Guess I could change forum name and remove space but was not sure if it would cause issues.

Wow lol I thought the other account was some obsessed fan. That clears it up...

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Hey Sandman, how are the Eibach Prokit springs treating you? Still running them with the oem struts? I have the springs in my garage now.. just waiting on some free time to install them.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Hey Sandman, how are the Eibach Prokit springs treating you? Still running them with the oem struts? I have the springs in my garage now.. just waiting on some free time to install them.

Still running OE DCC shock and Eibach Pro Kit Springs. 55,000 on car. 45,000 on springs. Lowering on any spring is likely a big Change. Watching how you drive and avoiding pot holes be comes more important. Even OE the hazards need to be avoided. The springs work very well. Along with my Eibach front and rear sway bar the handling is solid. The springs come with rubber insulator wraps but I would buy and extra set and extend them down 1 more rotation so the coils can not touch. Eibach sells them and price is low. Prevent the metal to metal contact on lowered car.
Eibach is a long tradition company who knows how to make springs. No sag over time. Just wish the Prokit was red. In a do over I would get them powder coated. Did not think of it when new. Thanks for question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Absolutely. Thanks for the feedback. I've ran various springs and coilovers on many different cars over the years, but this is my first time lowering a MK7 GTI. I'm sure I will like the ride, since I don't mind a little spring harshness. I'm more worried about oem shock longevity and noise. I will take your advice on the extra rubber and possibly powder coating them! Good idea. I believe their Sportline kit comes in red and all the Prokits are black.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Couldn't find it a quote button on Tapatalk. I was trying to install the pre cabin air filter but I'm struggling to remove the first cover, do you have any specific instructions Sandman?

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando o Tapatalk

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Couldn't find it a quote button on Tapatalk. I was trying to install the pre cabin air filter but I'm struggling to remove the first cover, do you have any specific instructions Sandman?

Thanks for question.

Watch video. This covers how to get the passenger side cover off at bottom of windshield. You should be able to lift the passenger side only. Then the black cover under this is removed. At the center of the car pull in this area. A center molded pin will slide out, then slide the piece a little toward center of the car. You might need to also rotate. Bottom toward you. Remember how you remove. The passenger side will need, to slide in first while you rotate when putting back. You should now see the OE intake and cabin filter below it. Transfer the sensor from OE intake. I used two way tape to help hold in as the hole on new intake is a little larger. One could glue in but then permanent.
Let me know if still issues.

https://youtu.be/kf5RJY9Kx68

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Thanks for question.

Watch video. This covers how to get the passenger side cover off at bottom of windshield. You should be able to lift the passenger side only. Then the black cover under this is removed. At the center of the car pull in this area. A center molded pin will slide out, then slide the piece a little toward center of the car. You might need to also rotate. Bottom toward you. Remember how you remove. The passenger side will need, to slide in first while you rotate when putting back. You should now see the OE intake and cabin filter below it. Transfer the sensor from OE intake. I used two way tape to help hold in as the hole on new intake is a little larger. One could glue in but then permanent.
Let me know if still issues.

https://youtu.be/kf5RJY9Kx68

Thanks for your reply! I removed the rubber and the two clips and I was able to lift the cover, but only this. The top cover looks like it is glued on the windshield and I'm afraid to pull it, put more force and break everything.

TBH I didn't get when you said the "rotation" part, tomorrow morning I will try again to see if I have more luck.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for your reply! I removed the rubber and the two clips and I was able to lift the cover, but only this. The top cover looks like it is glued on the windshield and I'm afraid to pull it, put more force and break everything.

TBH I didn't get when you said the "rotation" part, tomorrow morning I will try again to see if I have more luck.

If not successful post a small video of what you are doing and where you are stuck, that way it will be easier to help you.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

The top cover (cowl) is not glued.
The edge next to windshield fits in a groove.
Is you lift the engine edge up some it normally will start to pop out.
Take your time and slowly work out. Once it starts it will come out easier.
Not fragile but pull with care.
Once removed you see a rounded black cover.
At center of car grab it and pull toward front of car. Should slide out with not a lot of effort. Then pull it free. I think it has some larger clips not hard to un clip. Then slide this piece toward driver side an inch. You are pulling two plastic pins out on the passenger fenders side. Once free the piece sits in a hole sort of.
So as you pull up and toward engine you might need to rotate slightly to clear things. Just slowly work it out.

When you put this second piece in hold each end with left and right hand holding the piece as it will sit in the car.
Left hand side goes in first. Aligning the two pins. Work in place. Once two pins in the line center part up and push this pin in.
Putting the cowl in do it like you removed. Angle back toward the windshield and line up the edge with the groove you thought was glued. Start on one end, center of windshield and press the part into the groove. Slowly work into groove. Might take some time, be patient. Part must be in groove before you try to lay it down and clip in place. If in groove correctly the part will be flush with windshield piece. Do not drop the metal clips.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
The top cover (cowl) is not glued.
The edge next to windshield fits in a groove.
Is you lift the engine edge up some it normally will start to pop out.
Take your time and slowly work out. Once it starts it will come out easier.
Not fragile but pull with care.
Once removed you see a rounded black cover.
At center of car grab it and pull toward front of car. Should slide out with not a lot of effort. Then pull it free. I think it has some larger clips not hard to un clip. Then slide this piece toward driver side an inch. You are pulling two plastic pins out on the passenger fenders side. Once free the piece sits in a hole sort of.
So as you pull up and toward engine you might need to rotate slightly to clear things. Just slowly work it out.

When you put this second piece in hold each end with left and right hand holding the piece as it will sit in the car.
Left hand side goes in first. Aligning the two pins. Work in place. Once two pins in the line center part up and push this pin in.
Putting the cowl in do it like you removed. Angle back toward the windshield and line up the edge with the groove you thought was glued. Start on one end, center of windshield and press the part into the groove. Slowly work into groove. Might take some time, be patient. Part must be in groove before you try to lay it down and clip in place. If in groove correctly the part will be flush with windshield piece. Do not drop the metal clips.

Thank you very much for the details! Finally I was able to remove the top cover: I started to pull it and after several minutes it suddenly popped out of the groove! Next challenge was the black rounded cover, on this one I forced too much and the thinner part of the larger clip broke but it doesn't compromise the whole cover.

The pre filter support has a tight fit, maybe I didn't aligned it correctly on the pins and it needed some effort to fit into the right place.

The top cover was again a P.I.T.A but since it entered correctly on the groove everything went well. For the DIY guys it can be easier but is not my case lol

I would like to thank you for your patience to detail all these steps, Sandman!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you very much for the details! Finally I was able to remove the top cover: I started to pull it and after several minutes it suddenly popped out of the groove! Next challenge was the black rounded cover, on this one I forced too much and the thinner part of the larger clip broke but it doesn't compromise the whole cover.

The pre filter support has a tight fit, maybe I didn't aligned it correctly on the pins and it needed some effort to fit into the right place.

The top cover was again a P.I.T.A but since it entered correctly on the groove everything went well. For the DIY guys it can be easier but is not my case lol

I would like to thank you for your patience to detail all these steps, Sandman!

Very good!
New filter looks nice.
So your intake housing did not have a sensor attached?
I have an Autobahn so it has auto air. Maybe the sensor I have is due to this.
Looks like it measures air temp.
I think you will like the prefilter. Should help main filter last longer.
Buy spares. Thanks for picture of install.

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Very good!
New filter looks nice.
So your intake housing did not have a sensor attached?
I have an Autobahn so it has auto air. Maybe the sensor I have is due to this.
Looks like it measures air temp.
I think you will like the prefilter. Should help main filter last longer.
Buy spares. Thanks for picture of install.

Oh yes, I forgot to say about the sensor. My GTi is a base model but has the auto function on the air conditioner too, maybe this sensor is needed on countries where the winter season is too cold?

Another thing is that my car has the Soundaktor transducer or speaker, I don't know if it is functional, but let me stop to polute your thread! :)

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Oh yes, I forgot to say about the sensor. My GTi is a base model but has the auto function on the air conditioner too, maybe this sensor is needed on countries where the winter season is too cold?

Another thing is that my car has the Soundaktor transducer or speaker, I don't know if it is functional, but let me stop to polute your thread! :)

If you are a 17 GTI then you should be able to adjust soundaktor in the center screen. If it is a used car then someone could have unplugged it. If you turn to full volume you should be able to hear easily.