GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Chewy2

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks!
A BIG day for you!
Take you time and enjoy the pick up day.
Everyone else is in a hurry so take your time.
Take pictures. Take someone with you to help.
The dealer will just have to wait.
I waited 6 months for mine so we were going at my pace on the day.
Share you model info and pickup day when you get the GTI.
Pics! Would like to see your VR6 also.

Thanks sir! It's actually a private seller and we are driving from the OKC area to San Antonio, TX. But yes I am taking 2 of my best friends with me (one is a former VW Service technician for about 5 years and has built a few fast cars, and the other has built a couple of golfs/jettas as well. If there's anything I don't think of - they will.)

Okay I'll make a thread for it too or just add some in my MK7 thread :)

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Sandman so what are the future plans for your car after lowering it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman so what are the future plans for your car after lowering it?

Was not trying to let the cat out of the bag before I had a project completed but I am geared up to have my Eibach sport springs installed. Have an appointment early on the 5th of July. Will cover in detail later in week or next week once I have some new pictures and springs settle in. Along with the springs I am adding some other parts that go along with the springs. Some ECS Tuning kits.
Hope they work out and perform well. I do not want to lower it and have ride suffer. In last month I have developed a creaking/groaning sound from front left spring, so maybe good timing to change. Not a terrible sound but can occur over small low speed dumps/inclines.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Was not trying to let the cat out of the bag before I had a project completed but I am geared up to have my Eibach sport springs installed. Have an appointment early on the 5th of July. Will cover in detail later in week or next week once I have some new pictures and springs settle in. Along with the springs I am adding some other parts that go along with the springs. Some ECS Tuning kits.
Hope they work out and perform well. I do not want to lower it and have ride suffer. In last month I have developed a creaking/groaning sound from front left spring, so maybe good timing to change. Not a terrible sound but can occur over small low speed dumps/inclines.
Awesome can't wait to see some pictures!!

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Sandman, your car is super mean and clean. I would live to see how the drop feels. It's the one mod I have been waffling back and forth on

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Sandman, Does your wife call you that?
Does your family say "please pass the ketchup, sandman?"

More importantly, does your local hospital staff know you as an anesthesia employee? Dr. Sandman? Sandman, RN?

Inquiring minds would like to know.....at 0543 EST.

Thanks,

Paul

PS - How is the ride quality so far?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman, Does your wife call you that?
Does your family say "please pass the ketchup, sandman?"

More importantly, does your local hospital staff know you as an anesthesia employee? Dr. Sandman? Sandman, RN?

Inquiring minds would like to know.....at 0543 EST.

Thanks,

Paul

PS - How is the ride quality so far?

Causing trouble you!
I have been driving my new lowered ride around to get a good feel for it and deciding how I will inform the forum of my thoughts on the subject. Plan to type it up this week and post some pictures.

Sandman.
Actually few people would know me by this nickname.
My older brother is likely the only one that I would ever run into about it.
The name comes from a wrestling coach. My brother and I are 2 years apart and happened to be on the same team for a couple years before he graduated. My family then moved from Alabama to Wisconsin.
We also played football, he after realizing the band was not what he wanted to do. As he was a Senior and I a Sophomore, we did not play in games at the same time. I started to practice with the Varsity early in the season and might have played but broke my leg in practice and was out most of the season but was able to play a JV game or two at the end of the season.
The wrestling coach, also the offense line coach called us Sandman 1 and Sandman 2. I the later being younger. The name is a play on our families last name.

I tell my wife she is Sandwoman and she just looks at me and says "I do not think so".

But yes the local hospital does call me as the Red Cross says I have special blood. They have to warn people who use it that from then on they will need to avoid Kryptonite as it might make them weak.

Sandman trivia for today. :)

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Eibach Pro Kit 1 Inch Drop - ECS Spring Install Kits

I have joined the Lowered Crowd!:cool:

On July 5th I had the VW Dealer in Chattanooga install the following items:
1. Eibach Pro Kit - 1 inch lowering dual rate springs. Was on sale thru Tirerack as a discontinued item for around $230 I think.
2. From ECS Tuning I purchased the front spring install kit for $200.
3. Also Purchased from ECS Tuning the rear spring install kit (stage2) for $150.

Reading posts on others who installed springs and had noise issues after, I talked to some forum members about the benefit of the ECS install kits. I also sent pictures of the kits to Village VW Chattanooga and asked if they could get some feedback from the Mechanic to see his thoughts. He said if I wanted to buy the kits, he thought it would be good to change the parts out and go with new hardware. The ECS Tuning Spring Install kits are very good. The hardware and many of the parts are made by VW and are made in Germany. The ECS stamped mounts look slightly better that stock. So this is a shout out to ECS Tuning on these kits!

After the install, the alignment was adjusted and the LP head lights were adjusted and set. Total time about 5 hours. The Service agent was great and gave me a loaner while I waited so I spent some time in Chattanooga.

Initial thoughts:
The car looked great. As you know the GTI has a reverse rake but after install of springs it looks like there is a forward rake. This likely is the Eibach spring design as the ECS mounts looked much like OE. The next thing I noticed was my car was much shorter. When I stepped into the floor of the GTI it felt like a long way down.

On the 1.5 hour drive home, I could tell the car was tight. I have DCC and Sport setting was tighter. On this good road comfort and normal felt about the same. However like any mod, that night and the next day I drove on roads around my home town. On these familiar roads I noticed all the settings where tighter. I would say around 15-20%. At this moment I was starting to think how much it would cost to change back to OE.:eek: Bumps that I did not notice before had a little more impact. I told myself to drive it for a week and see how it goes.

After a week:
I tried to think of the best way to get across the feeling of the Eibach Springs and Friday driving to the nearest big city, I thought of a way.

In the ROCKY movies when Rocky does his push ups he does them in a very controlled way. With strength he goes down and then pushes back up. On a good road the Eibach Springs feel like this. You can feel solid strength as they handle the ups and downs of the road. However when a pot hole, expansion joint hits a wheel, just like Rocky is not fast enough to get out of the way and has to take a punch, the higher spring rate transfers more of the impact to the driver. In sport mode the OE springs would transfer tire impacts from rocks on the road. With Eibach the sport mode now transfers the impacts from the next smaller size rocks. Not terrible but you can feel it. The same can be said for Normal Mode. Comfort mode helps a lot.

The bottom line is the car looks great!:cool:
With my new wheels and tires handling was greatly improved and the Eibach springs have helped also but not as noticeable as the tire change. Weaving side to side at high speed, there is little body roll.
I am getting the feel for them and each day the ride feels better. I still have to watch the road closely and be careful when parking as the 1 inch drop now makes more objects a target for my front lip.

If I did not have DCC this change might not have been as good.
Lowering is something you have to want to do and something you have to deal with every time you drive. If this much detail is more than what every time you drive, then think twice about the change.

But it does look good!:)

What do you think?

First Picture is BEFORE.

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

Last edited:

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the write-up. Looks sweet! Now lower it for real! [emoji14]

Just curious...why'd you go with progressive rate springs over linear like the vwr or emmanuel designs? Seems the factory dampers work better with linear rate springs...at least from what I've read on golfmk7. Still on the fence myself...but man that looks nice!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it looks good Sandman! Complements those OZ's nicely and pulls the whole look together. And I bet you will get accustomed to the new ride feel soon. At least you can throw the DCC into comfort if you know you will be on a bad road.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Eibach Pro Kit 1 Inch Drop - ECS Spring Install Kits

Thanks for the comments all!;)

The last two days have been a little odd. My springs feel like someone has oiled them as they are handling bumps better. They feel like they are rounding off bumps and impacts more. I know springs have a settling period (height) but it feels like the springs have warmed up and are moving more. I thought maybe the temp had an impact but we have had +90F days for over a month. I know springs can soften over many years but I would think not in 5 days. Now the ride is still tight and the range of motion is still less but within that range it has smoothed out some. The speed bumps at work can be taken with a little more speed, not having to creep over.

Why Dual Rate springs?
Being older I wanted to maintain the ride if possible and still lower. Lowering to me is all about visual looks. I know it can help handling some but my new wheel/tire combination along with stock GTI suspension was good enough for all my needs, so this change was all visual as bad as that sounds for a reason to lower a car and the extra hazards one must handle now. I knew most of the other springs were designed like the OE springs so this would be a safe pick. I am not an expert on springs so did some home work on whey there are different designs. The OE design is a general design and covers many applications. The Progressive spring that increases in load as the windings go up is another type but did not sound like what I wanted to install. The dual rate spring has some specific traits. At first I thought the lower rate portion of the spring compressed first and under static load but was not fully compressed. So while driving on a small load this lower rate section would flex and absorb small impacts. If an impact became larger then the higher rate section would take over as the lower rate section would be fully compressed.

However, after reading more I think dual rate springs work like this.
The lower rate section is designed to fully compress under static loading (sitting in the drive way). The lower rate handles the lowering of the car and is designed to be a controlled way to lower the vehicle. A spring like VMR also lowers the vehicle but over time the spring could sag. On the Eibach at static load the upper portion is compressed and the car then rides on the lower section to cushion the ride. Not sure the ride is better than VMR but the design allows for a more controlled lowering point and long life performance. As I stated I am not the expert but this is what I would find out and understand. I would see how a dual rate spring might not be best for racing as if the car goes over a rise and the upper springs open up, upon loading the softer springs would compress first then the harder springs would take over. This might give an odd step feeling as the car reloads the springs. This is a guess on my part.

I also know Eibach is a quality company which would use good material and good manufacturing process. I bet Eibach makes springs for other people using a different name. In my research I also read that the dual rate spring is a better or higher quality design, but also is harder to produce. I am not saying it is better than other springs, just passing on info I have read. It sounded like a design that might meet what I wanted to maintain and that was ride quality. It was a chance trying something I have not heard much about on the forum but so far I like it, but being lowered adds other issues and these I am learning to live with.

In the ECS Tuning kits all new hardware is also provided (Red Bag). FYI.

Pics of OE Springs, Eibach, old spring saddles/mounts and new ECS kits.

OE Springs
IMG_2544.JPG

OE Saddles/Mounts
IMG_2546.JPG

Eibach Springs.
IMG_2532.JPG

ECS Tuning Spring install kit front.
IMG_2525.JPG

ECS Tuning Spring install kit rear.
IMG_2529.JPG

Last edited: