GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remove Torque limiter Via Vag-Com (How To)

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The new system is way better than what VW was using in the late 90s early 90s, the modules are much faster and the resolution is higher in many applications (more windows on the pickup wheels).

EDL way back in the day was terrible, now XDS is nearly invisible most of the time. It is sort of traction control but really it's function is as a diff. Killing throttle, which is what ASR does, reduces power to all the drive wheels which yes stops wheel spin but is not necessarily faster than what EDL/XDS can do which will allow the same higher level of power to go to the wheel that has the grip.

ESC is stability control, it really has nothing to do with traction for acceleration purposes. It is for keeping the car going were you pointed it.

Thanks for clarifying this, even though I "knew" all of that, we all need to read this over from time to time. lol

LeGti

Ready to race!
WOW! YES!! FINALLY!!!

THANK YOU VAG-TECH & Rich @ GIAC!!!!

Ok, I'll stop squealing with joy now... Will try recoding tomorrow asap on my '15 PP Mt6.

The torque limiter became increasingly apparent & annoying - almost dangerous - with each traction improving mod. Sticky tires: more intervention; SuperPro A-arms: more again; engine mounts: yet more...

And of course engine power enhancements made the nanny rear its ugly, evil head more. I've learned to drive around it, but it stinks!!

We've been waiting a very long time for this, and I can't wait to try it out!!

So, MERCI BEAUCOUP VAG-TECH & Rich, if you pm me an address, let me please send you a nice bottle of local Minervois ��

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Labeling a thread incorrectly doesn't magically make something not about what it really is about ;)

This setting was labeled as "Expanded electronic differential lock" on previous versions of VCDS, the label changed not what it does.

100% wrong. Again, this thread is NOT about XDS (which is labeled as "no label" on MK7s).

This thread is about turning off the torque limiter. I can confirm that turning off the torque limiter does NOT turn off XDS, ABS or traction control.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
100% wrong. Again, this thread is NOT about XDS (which is labeled as "no label" on MK7s).

This thread is about turning off the torque limiter. I can confirm that turning off the torque limiter does NOT turn off XDS, ABS or traction control.

Would you mind clarifying to what extent "turning off the torque limiter" impacts driving dynamic? I ask out of ignorance of course.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Would you mind clarifying to what extent "turning off the torque limiter" impacts driving dynamic? I ask out of ignorance of course.

These cars suck from a dig bc the ECU had what was, until this thread, an "undefeatable" intervention where it would kick in traction control in low gears. This adaptation finally "fully" defeats traction control (ECS), in conjunction with the adaptation that allows for "full" traction control defeat (1 press, "ECS Sport," 1 press + hold for a few seconds, "ESC Off"). Before this, people were pulling their ABS fuse to defeat the traction control in the lower gears, which i'm sure introduced new unforeseen problems (and is also just unsafe bc ABS is a very good thing to have).

Without having even done this adaptation yet, i feel rather confident answering your question as to "the extent to which defeating traction control affects driving dynamic."

It fully defeats traction control, so the car doesnt do shit you don't tell it to under any circumstances :) like, when dumping the clutch into first, the wheels will just spin and spin if you keep it floored. For experienced drivers, this is preferable bc it allows complete control over the car. People who know what they're doing now don't have to worry about their car intervening in low-traction situations. They can compensate with their feet, instead of the car doing so with it's "brain." :)

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
These cars suck from a dig bc the ECU had what was, until this thread, an "undefeatable" intervention where it would kick in traction control in low gears. This adaptation finally "fully" defeats traction control (ECS), in conjunction with the adaptation that allows for "full" traction control defeat (1 press, "ECS Sport," 1 press + hold for a few seconds, "ESC Off"). Before this, people were pulling their ABS fuse to defeat the traction control in the lower gears, which i'm sure introduced new unforeseen problems (and is also just unsafe bc ABS is a very good thing to have).

Without having even done this adaptation yet, i feel rather confident answering your question as to "the extent to which defeating traction control affects driving dynamic."

It fully defeats traction control, so the car doesnt do shit you don't tell it to under any circumstances :) like, when dumping the clutch into first, the wheels will just spin and spin if you keep it floored. For experienced drivers, this is preferable bc it allows complete control over the car. People who know what they're doing now don't have to worry about their car intervening in low-traction situations. They can compensate with their feet, instead of the car doing so with it's "brain." :)
Nope. This mod does NOT fully defeat traction control unless you chose to turn that off as well. See post #63

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Correct, you have to code in and choose the ECS Fully off option which requires you to hold the ECS Button down until it dings.

I just tried it. It works, ABS still functions. No word yet on whether XDS is working. What I will say is that I would bet a good amount of money for a lot of the bad drivers here this option will probably make you quite a bit slower. For those who can skillfully and quickly modulate throttle by nature, I think there are gains to be had.

I'll report back when I can test XDS and how this effects driving dynamics.

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
Correct, you have to code in and choose the ECS Fully off option which requires you to hold the ECS Button down until it dings.

I just tried it. It works, ABS still functions. No word yet on whether XDS is working. What I will say is that I would bet a good amount of money for a lot of the bad drivers here this option will probably make you quite a bit slower. For those who can skillfully and quickly modulate throttle by nature, I think there are gains to be had.

XDS and VAQ are working great, took it up some backroads.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This adaptation finally "fully" defeats traction control (ECS), in conjunction with the adaptation that allows for "full" traction control defeat (1 press, "ECS Sport," 1 press + hold for a few seconds, "ESC Off"). Before this, people were pulling their ABS fuse to defeat the traction control in the lower gears, which i'm sure introduced new unforeseen problems (and is also just unsafe bc ABS is a very good thing to have).

Nope. This mod does NOT fully defeat traction control unless you chose to turn that off as well. See post #63

I'm aware, which is why I said "in conjunction with the adaptation that allows for "full" traction control defeat (1 press, "ECS Sport," 1 press + hold for a few seconds, "ESC Off")."

See Post #65 :)

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
I have PP, works great

VAG, do you have DSG tune?....and does that make a difference?

Sorry for dumb questions

I have ecu and DSG tune

I am going to show this thread to my tuner and see if he recommends this mod as I don't have VAGCOM

In addition to this mod.....isn't there something else that needs to be done?......some kind of coding of something else?

Once again sorry for dumb questions

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Why would this affect XDS *at all* ?? XDS uses the brakes to help the car rotate in turns. Hardly comparable to traction control, which actively cuts throttle to eliminate wheel spin. I know i'm preaching to the choir, bc i know you know a lot more about cars than me. But liek... Why would this affect XDS?

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
XDS and VAQ are working great, took it up some backroads.
+1 The car pulls much harder in lower gears with the torque limiter removed. No extra wheelspin or hop either if you have upgraded tires and a dogbone insert.

Inexperienced drivers will want to use extra caution in slippery situations when pulling out into traffic. You WILL get potentially damaging wheel hop if you're not careful.

Bawlti

Ready to race!
Thanks everyone for your input, it's quite educative.

I will take my stage 2 GTI to the 1/4 mile track in September (waiting for temperatures to go down). I never actually drag a DSG car before. I know the launch is pretty much everything. I have:
- PP (not sure it helps in any way on a straight line);
- Good tires;
- DSG tune;
- Dogbone insert;
- ESC sport/ESC off mod;
- And now THIS mod.

I guess I have everything on my side! But I have a fully loaded 4 doors Autobahn PP DCC DSG, pretty much the heavier a GTI can be, hope that won't play too much against me.

Any advice I should know?
Should I use S mode or shift with the paddles?