GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Regret not buying Performance Pack?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Generally agree. Unless you're stopping from ludicrous speed, or maybe bombing down some mountain switchbacks. Curious though...can the non-PP brakes lock the wheels when they've got good summer rubber on them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
i see this is a several month old post, but won't any "modern" car be able to lock up the wheels with even super sticky rubber on it. It's ABS/driver skill that prevents this. I'd be shocked that outside a track (or should be on track) there is better braking with the PP set up. As already said it's the tires.

still glad I paid for the PP pack, or at least got it via the Sport Model I have. The diff does work well to this non-racer.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
i see this is a several month old post, but won't any "modern" car be able to lock up the wheels with even super sticky rubber on it. It's ABS/driver skill that prevents this. I'd be shocked that outside a track (or should be on track) there is better braking with the PP set up. As already said it's the tires.

still glad I paid for the PP pack, or at least got it via the Sport Model I have. The diff does work well to this non-racer.

Agreed.

According to Borg Warner, the diff does lock up when braking, but I've never understood how this helps braking performance. I can see how it will wear the pads more evenly if the diff helps balance the car, but that's about it.

In regards to the PP vs non-PP brakes, I'm glad I have them. I haven't driven a non-PP in a few years, so I don't remember how they feel, but the PP brake pedal feel is great and I do drive aggressively on windy back country roads. I'd be curious if they help with keeping things cool with the larger pad/rotors.

SQLnovice

Glad I found this thread. Currently shopping for for a gti within my budget. It would be nice to find one with the pp mainly for the diff, and bigger breaks. However if I can't, I will not registered it after reading this thread.
At the end of the day. My 7 year old daughter is in the car with me more than 75% of the time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Agreed.

According to Borg Warner, the diff does lock up when braking, but I've never understood how this helps braking performance. I can see how it will wear the pads more evenly if the diff helps balance the car, but that's about it.

In regards to the PP vs non-PP brakes, I'm glad I have them. I haven't driven a non-PP in a few years, so I don't remember how they feel, but the PP brake pedal feel is great and I do drive aggressively on windy back country roads. I'd be curious if they help with keeping things cool with the larger pad/rotors.
That is very interesting as well. Maybe locking them together helps braking stability.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That is very interesting as well. Maybe locking them together helps braking stability.

The race car TCR Golf & Seat has variable settings which mention this also..

Have you read my huge technical post I did on the VAQ?...

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
IMO for how I use the car the standard package with lighter wheels and summer tires will brake and handle well enough.

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
You can fit a 17 inch wheel on the PP brakes. No reason really not to get it from that standpoint.

Your right. Go ahead and paypal me for the difference in $ for PP since there is no reason to you not too... ;).

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I got my PP cheaper than equivalent non PP cars in my area. Look hard enough and you can find what you want.

I’m not looking hard. Thanks again for the advice. You can also buy non-PP cars cheaper than PP cars. Anything else you want to share?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I’m not looking hard. Thanks again for the advice. You can also buy non-PP cars cheaper than PP cars. Anything else you want to share?

I can feel your angst from here. Simmer down old boy.

Edit: After having a non-PP loaner, can confirm that if you haven't experienced a PP you don't know what your missing, and there is no harm in that. Car still drove great, just was lacking when compared.

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I can feel your angst from here. Simmer down old boy.

All good. We all have different perceptions of value at the time we all purchased. Getting into PP was going into SE back in 2016. That was sizable diff even at discounted $$. It would have bought easily tires, wheels, piggy, shocks/springs, etc. etc. Make sense now? Not always a black and white easy answer every wants... Lol.

Last edited:

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
My 33yo "old man" take on it is this:
I've had my PP car for a little over a year now. Due to previous racing experience, I had a feeling that a FWD car with bags of torque *could* be a pretty good package with an LSD (In general. Type doesn't matter for this discussion). My last two daily-drivers were a Mk5 2.0T Jetta and a '13 2.0T CC. At 210lb/ft, they definitely struggled for traction at times.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the GTI does with VAQ and other systems it works in combination with. Keep in mind, you'll never be able to defeat the laws of physics, but this car definitely makes the most of the given limitations.

As far as the brakes: Sure, not everybody "needs" more brakes. Lots of posts about "non-pp brakes still activate ABS", etc. The PP/R brakes advantage over standard is not over a single stop. The added size of everything provides much better handling of heat over the course of repeated stops. So, even though the difference on the first hard stop is more tire-limited...you'll see the difference if you stop several times with considerable effort to generate head.