GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Regret not buying Performance Pack?

jmasse

Passed Driver's Ed
I just traded a 16 without performance pack for a new 18 SE. The bigger brakes are worth it for the appearance only, not to mention performance. I cannot speak for the differential as I have not pushed the car yet. On the earlier cars, the lighting package is definitely a game changer.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The only reason I regret it is because I would have liked to experience driving without a front diff so I know exactly what the benefit is. I had a friend drive the car and he was said "whoa you can definitely feel that diff, it feels great" so now I wish I knew what it is like without it. My sister's fiance has a mk7 without a diff so I could always drive his and compare. If nothing else, the PP was worth it for the brakes and diff, power "increase".. meh.

FineBottledWater

Passed Driver's Ed
I got my new barebone 17 GTI S for a little over 18k a few months ago. It is an affordable daily with a bit of fun. I like it just fine without the Performance Package.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
The only reason I regret it is because I would have liked to experience driving without a front diff so I know exactly what the benefit is. I had a friend drive the car and he was said "whoa you can definitely feel that diff, it feels great" so now I wish I knew what it is like without it. My sister's fiance has a mk7 without a diff so I could always drive his and compare. If nothing else, the PP was worth it for the brakes and diff, power "increase".. meh.

Imagine trying to put power down mid turn, and instead of the car actually turning in, apexing, tracking back out, it just pushes away from the intended apex, you immediately push out wide and almost hit something, making you lift off, and now that you've caused the car to dive forward, the already overloaded front wheels completely run out of grip and the rear of the car swaps places with the front of the car.

The lift off oversteer probably wouldn't happen in today's world with ESC and ABS but that's the gist. Car won't have any flow and basically be a point and shoot car...only at like 300 hp instead. Even once tuned the VAQ can be overwhelmed and try to lock which causes understeer too. Best bet honestly would be a wavetrac/quaife if you plan on running more power than stock at all. They're hard to beat on a FWD car.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Imagine trying to put power down mid turn, and instead of the car actually turning in, apexing, tracking back out, it just pushes away from the intended apex, you immediately push out wide and almost hit something, making you lift off, and now that you've caused the car to dive forward, the already overloaded front wheels completely run out of grip and the rear of the car swaps places with the front of the car.

The lift off oversteer probably wouldn't happen in today's world with ESC and ABS but that's the gist. Car won't have any flow and basically be a point and shoot car...only at like 300 hp instead. Even once tuned the VAQ can be overwhelmed and try to lock which causes understeer too. Best bet honestly would be a wavetrac/quaife if you plan on running more power than stock at all. They're hard to beat on a FWD car.

Very well said. I'm familiar with understeer/oversteer, the GTI isn't my first car. My 98 camry is not the best handler haha. I just don't know what a GTI feels like without it. Thanks for the info! Will be helpful to people who arent familiar with the concepts

mhouck

Passed Driver's Ed
Got an insane deal on my 16' Autobahn PP. Honestly, this sounds silly but the Top Gear special where Clarkson made a big deal about the diff made me a believer.

Plus...red badges lol

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Personally I wouldn't order it..if I could only get a car with it so be it...

TBH its cheap for what it is...

I'd just prefer to spend the cash & fit a Wavetrak LSD & those nice new Audi TT-S, 4 pot aluminium callipers which fit sensible 338mm discs...yes please..

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Personally I wouldn't order it..if I could only get a car with it so be it...

TBH its cheap for what it is...

I'd just prefer to spend the cash & fit a Wavetrak LSD & those nice new Audi TT-S, 4 pot aluminium callipers which fit sensible 338mm discs...yes please..

That's the whole thing though, the price of buying and fitting a Wavetrak costs more then the entire PP, which you can then go ahead and put a wavetrak on anyway. That doesn't even touch warranty, which of course your transmission warranty would be out the door at that point. Also without upgrading the rear brakes with that set up you would be in for a very bad time if you push it on the track. You at least need vented rear rotors. Of course for just daily fun it would be a blast.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
i've had two 6MT mk7's. One PP autobahn and one non PP SE.

I'm going to say a big yes to is it worth it. I much prefer the handling with the VAQ. She sticks to the road. Yes you can get a wavetrak, but its not exactly a DIY, and i'm pretty sure you're throwing your tran part of your powertran warranty down the trashcan... if that matters to you or not? i don't know.. But for me, it was a huge worthwhile upgrade.

I haven't tracked the car so the brakes, not so much but i absolutely love the VAQ and DCC. No understeer going into corners at ahem... spirited speeds.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Thread from the dead:
My former GF had a 2015 GTI S 5-door DSG with LP. The standard brakes were lacking compared to the larger PP brakes and the VAQ is quite noticeable when taking sharp turns quickly.
The car just sticks to the corners.
My experience is from driving quickly on empty TN back roads.

Every option is useful and can be disabled by the driver at any time. The red badge and cool headlights are nice because every time I saw a PP car while driving a silver-badged GTI there was a tinge of regret lol. Finding a 3-door PP car was quite difficult but that (and the PP dilemma) is not a problem for new buyers.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
the VAQ is quite noticeable when taking sharp turns quickly.
This is especially true when you have the "increased traction" setting on the VAQ enabled.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Naw, besides when I got the car,there was no PP model anyways. Lack of LSD I will be solving hopefully next month.

If anything I regret not getting/waiting for a GTI w/Lighting package although I have since fixed that w/Ed's Reps.

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
This is especially true when you have the "increased traction" setting on the VAQ enabled.

Yep! I turned this on - turned off the "direct throttle" setting, though, to see if it will improve my gas mileage.

Also DCC is really nice - Comfort for the interstate, Normal for most drives and Sport when on nice smooth country roads.