GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Regret not buying Performance Pack?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Odd,

obd11 is good for many things...not sure it'll do what you want but it's a good tool.

Mud

note: I'm satisfied with pedal response and while I've never driven one of these pedal tuners I'm NOT a believer. I'd have to see data. I have driven cars with quick tip-in throttles and they seemed more of a gimmick to make you think the car was fast.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Odd,

obd11 is good for many things...not sure it'll do what you want but it's a good tool.

Mud

note: I'm satisfied with pedal response and while I've never driven one of these pedal tuners I'm NOT a believer. I'd have to see data. I have driven cars with quick tip-in throttles and they seemed more of a gimmick to make you think the car was fast.

It does a lot more for DSG cars than MT cars. It pre-amps the throttle signal, which really helps with DSG engagement

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
old thread i know. But i've had two mk7's. One non PP SE and my current Autobahn with PP. So feel well placed to give an honest opinion. The VAQ is a big deal. i immediately noticed it after switching, and using the same old twisty road over and over, i noticed how much better she handled and at higher more confident speeds with no squeal from the tires on high speed cornering. A must if you're doing x-cross or tracking. Anyone planning on tracking, definitely look for a VAQ gti. Plus warranty is all intact, whereas throwing a wavetrak on, is expensive and you're potentially voiding your powertrain.

PP Brakes. i can't say i noticed an immediate difference.. Not on the road. Track i'm sure there would be a huge difference on fade. But for the road its not that obvious. Love the way they look though, so i'll keep em ! One negative thing for sure is they make a lot more brake dust and its a lot harder to clean the front wheels cos space is a lot tighter. Before you could get your whole hand in there. Now no chance. I need to use a speed master brush wrapped in a microfiber, and it comes out black after one week of driving.

DCC. Having DCC and no DCC i can't really tell the difference, but the roads are good where i'm at. And the 'comfort' mode for me was too wooly, so i leave that off always. i just leave it on standard, which is perhaps the same on a non dcc ? Perhaps i'll try sport again. I already have the car lowered on springs (same VWR springs as my SE had) so car already feels more planted than stock.

LP, huge difference. Driving a non LP car now feels like i'm lighting the roads with candles in comparison. This was one huge upgrade as far as i'm concerned.

I was very happy with my non PP Gti, i knew the LP was something i wish i had, but not until i had the VAQ did i realize how much better it would be.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
old thread i know. But i've had two mk7's. One non PP SE and my current Autobahn with PP. So feel well placed to give an honest opinion. The VAQ is a big deal. i immediately noticed it after switching, and using the same old twisty road over and over, i noticed how much better she handled and at higher more confident speeds with no squeal from the tires on high speed cornering. A must if you're doing x-cross or tracking. Anyone planning on tracking, definitely look for a VAQ gti. Plus warranty is all intact, whereas throwing a wavetrak on, is expensive and you're potentially voiding your powertrain.

PP Brakes. i can't say i noticed an immediate difference.. Not on the road. Track i'm sure there would be a huge difference on fade. But for the road its not that obvious. Love the way they look though, so i'll keep em ! One negative thing for sure is they make a lot more brake dust and its a lot harder to clean the front wheels cos space is a lot tighter. Before you could get your whole hand in there. Now no chance. I need to use a speed master brush wrapped in a microfiber, and it comes out black after one week of driving.

DCC. Having DCC and no DCC i can't really tell the difference, but the roads are good where i'm at. And the 'comfort' mode for me was too wooly, so i leave that off always. i just leave it on standard, which is perhaps the same on a non dcc ? Perhaps i'll try sport again. I already have the car lowered on springs (same VWR springs as my SE had) so car already feels more planted than stock.

LP, huge difference. Driving a non LP car now feels like i'm lighting the roads with candles in comparison. This was one huge upgrade as far as i'm concerned.

I was very happy with my non PP Gti, i knew the LP was something i wish i had, but not until i had the VAQ did i realize how much better it would be.

I did a rather basic test of the modes of DCC on a flat but sort of uneven road. I relaxed my neck and felt how my head bobbing was affected.
Lots of bobbs in Comfort, slight bobbing in Normal and no bobbing in Sport. I like Comfort on the interstate.
My Individual mode is everything set to sport with Normal steering/DCC.

100% on the lights- I took my Ed's xenon headlights off my Mk6 and moved it last week at night time. The halogens were laughably poor. Not only are the halogens less safe, they are ugly as sin and (at the risk of offending non-LP owners here) make the car look cheap even if it has a ton of mods. They are "the face" of the car and what the designers envisioned.

Last edited:

Wyrmdog

The Sport package had everything I actually want or at least like. And in the states, it's the only wall you could get a '17 with the PP and plaid cloth seats, which I certainly prefer here in Arizona. Going up to the SE adds features I would prefer not to have, such as the leather seats.

<snippage>

So for me, the Sport is an absolute win all around. It's the Goldilocks trim level. I think VW marketers screwed themselves by offering such a desirable package priced toward the bottom of their trim hierarchy. But I'll certainly benefit from it! That's probably why they got rid of it for '18.

And not to mention, you can pick up those '17's really quite cheap right now. Unless you really want the LED lights of the '18 and the slightly nicer bumper, I would recommend new buyers seriously consider picking up a deal on a '17 Sport.

Preach it, brother. Plaid uber leder.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Preach it, brother. Plaid uber leder.

+1. The sport was the only version I wanted. I passed on multiple other non sport models and waited until I found what I was waiting for. Even went so far as to have it shipped from the next state over.

It's the only trim with stock wheels I actually like. Also I hate sunroof.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
No PP here, as my GTI is stock for street driving. Summer tires are all I need for my use.

I think the PP is a must if you track and or are tuned.

PP is useful in rain or snow or going corners too . Didn’t miss it when I didn’t have it but appreciate it now I do.
Loved taking my rental S3 out in the canyons of Malibu last year!

Sent by raven from Castle Black

gpomp

I will have to agree with you. I had a 2016 without PP for 2 years and now I'm one year into my 18 with PP. Even driving on the street at low speeds I can notice a difference. The car understeers a lot less and can put the power down a lot better. For me, the non PP car felt very much like a typical FWD car whereas the PP car feels a lot more special.