GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reduce gear noise with single mass flywheel

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I have a DSG. I'm a courier and put about 60,000 miles per year and plan on keeping my GTI for over 200,000 miles. I would like to order two sets of the Super Pro mounts if they weren't so expensive but I'll need to replace them at some point with that mileage.
I've felt these in a DSG and they feel sublime...

Just know that you'll need to do all three mounts (including the dog bone mount).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I got mine from eBay a month ago with a discount code for ~$900.

They are really becoming a rare thing to find. So supply and demand dictates the price :(

That's exactly right. I checked them out last week and by the time I made the decision to buy them they had gone up another $75.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
That's exactly right. I checked them out last week and by the time I made the decision to buy them they had gone up another $75.

I bought mine almost a year ago for a Memorial Day weekend sale and paid $560 which included shipping and tax. I believe I got them from FCP Euro but I don't remember exactly who.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I bought mine almost a year ago for a Memorial Day weekend sale and paid $560 which included shipping and tax. I believe I got them from FCP Euro but I don't remember exactly who.

Wow I paid close to double. I guess that they are running out of stock and from the sound of things they won't be produced anymore. That's too bad. I would like to know why. So many guys in the forum love them that it sure seems like they could sell a lot more.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Wow I paid close to double. I guess that they are running out of stock and from the sound of things they won't be produced anymore. That's too bad. I would like to know why. So many guys in the forum love them that it sure seems like they could sell a lot more.

I e-mailed them shortly after buying them pretty much saying that they should bring them back. They replied with this:

I agree – I think we should have done another production run – and our UK office has been trying to get one off the ground – but we do need to find a way to get the pricing into the realm of reality.

The only way I see them getting off the ground again is if they get enough people to say "Give us the mounts!"

Give them a shout here:
https://www.superprousa.com/contact-us/

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I e-mailed them shortly after buying them pretty much saying that they should bring them back. They replied with this:

I agree – I think we should have done another production run – and our UK office has been trying to get one off the ground – but we do need to find a way to get the pricing into the realm of reality.

The only way I see them getting off the ground again is if they get enough people to say "Give us the mounts!"

Give them a shout here:
https://www.superprousa.com/contact-us/

Thank you for posting that. I hope people respond to them.

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
What oil did you go with?

After a bit of research it's looking like Motul Gear 300 75W-90 is looking like the best bet.

That's exactly what I'm running - but it didn't eliminate it fully. There is still a slight noise at low speeds. I'm running the following:

- SB stage 3 daily
- BFI stage one engine and trans mount
- Powerflex hybrid insert
- RocEuro stabilizer bar
- Motul Gear 300 75w-90
- Fluidampr

Chatter is present at idle, but it's not diesel level loud. The lash I hear is typically in first gear at low speeds (like 6mph), especially when decelerating, like driving in stop and go traffic.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
That's exactly what I'm running - but it didn't eliminate it fully. There is still a slight noise at low speeds. I'm running the following:

- SB stage 3 daily
- BFI stage one engine and trans mount
- Powerflex hybrid insert
- RocEuro stabilizer bar
- Motul Gear 300 75w-90
- Fluidampr

Chatter is present at idle, but it's not diesel level loud. The lash I hear is typically in first gear at low speeds (like 6mph), especially when decelerating, like driving in stop and go traffic.
Cool! I'll have to pick some up soon and let everyone here know how it works out :cool:

R8TID R

Cool! I'll have to pick some up soon and let everyone here know how it works out :cool:

Hey guys, I was just reading through your thread. I’ve driven performance single mass flywheel clutch systems for a long time, my experience is that the chatter stops once you have engaged the clutch. If you are hearing other transmission noises perhaps you have something else going on? I was doing a ton of reading the past two weeks trying to find the right fluid for our R’s manual transmission. I was only able to find two fluids that reference our actual OEM spec number of “G052527A2”, the actual VW fluid and Redline’s new MT-LV 70W/75W. I’ve just finished installing a stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel, my Redline fluid is arriving Tuesday so I’ll be able to report transmission noise levels shortly after. If possible, I’d suggest trying to use a fluid that states its compatibility with our spec number. Don’t use any GL5 fluids or fluids that are GL4/GL5 compatible either. From what I’ve learned, anything that complies with GL5 performance standards will have the wrong coefficient of friction and the fluid will likely not compress enough under load, possibly resulting in gears not engaging fully. In the long run that could cause excessive wear and tear. I’ll let you know how the Redline fluid sounds in my R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Hey guys, I was just reading through your thread. I’ve driven performance single mass flywheel clutch systems for a long time, my experience is that the chatter stops once you have engaged the clutch. If you are hearing other transmission noises perhaps you have something else going on? I was doing a ton of reading the past two weeks trying to find the right fluid for our R’s manual transmission. I was only able to find two fluids that reference our actual OEM spec number of “G052527A2”, the actual VW fluid and Redline’s new MT-LV 70W/75W. I’ve just finished installing a stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel, my Redline fluid is arriving Tuesday so I’ll be able to report transmission noise levels shortly after. If possible, I’d suggest trying to use a fluid that states its compatibility with our spec number. Don’t use any GL5 fluids or fluids that are GL4/GL5 compatible either. From what I’ve learned, anything that complies with GL5 performance standards will have the wrong coefficient of friction and the fluid will likely not compress enough under load, possibly resulting in gears not engaging fully. In the long run that could cause excessive wear and tear. I’ll let you know how the Redline fluid sounds in my R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! Let us know what you find.

To answer your question, yes the chatter dies indeed stop once the clutch is engaged. The chatter doesn't really bother me. Also you shouldn't be holding the clutch in for extended periods of time.

The noises that bother me are under hard acceleration when the engine is below 2500RPM. it sounds almost like a diesel car. The downside of the polyurethane mounts is they transmit those noises into the cabin pretty well. Rubber mounts really help to isolate those noises.