ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Recently upgraded a few things :D
-Super Pro mounts
-Sounth bend stage 3 daily
-Fluidamper crank pully

I love LOVE the feeling of the car now. The car is a ton easier to rev match, upshift, downshift and even feels a bit faster.

Downside? The transmission noises. On cold start and for the first 10 minutes of my commute it's livable... But, once the engine and transmission is fully warmed up there's a ton of mechanical noise coming from the transmission. The main area that I'm concerned about is from idle to about 2500 rpm. There is a LOT of gear rattle or gear lash noise at those engine speeds.

Now I'll say I don't expect a Lexus quiet transmission... I just wanted to know what else could be done to lesson the rattle between idle and 2500rpm. Above that it's fine.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Some folks said the non factory gear oil helps but is not as good in very cold climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Some folks said the non factory gear oil helps but is not as good in very cold climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've heard similar things too. Issue is that we get a very wide range of temps in Maryland. As low as single digits in the winter and as high as 110 in the summer. Granted, those are extreme examples, but they are temps that I've seen here in recent years :eek:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I thought the Fluidamper is supposed to help with that?
It does help a bit. But it's not going to help squash all transmission rattle. The Fluidampr is more for engine longevity then for gearbox chatter. I will say that once I'm into boost above 3krpm it's very smooth.

I'm honestly thinking the engine and transmission mounts need a bit more time to break in before noise goes down to stock levels.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
IDK because I have all of the SuperPro mounts and the DKM Stage 3 kit and no Fluidamper and all it has is the typical single mass flywheel chatter from time to time but it's at a minimum so nothing what you are experiencing. And with the way things are right now, don't see a point in wasting hundreds of dollars for a Fluidamper.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
IDK because I have all of the SuperPro mounts and the DKM Stage 3 kit and no Fluidamper and all it has is the typical single mass flywheel chatter from time to time but it's at a minimum so nothing what you are experiencing. And with the way things are right now, don't see a point in wasting hundreds of dollars for a Fluidamper.
The DKM kit is heavier than the south bend stage 3 kit. So I can see that being less of a issue with a heavier clutch kit.

Also on a somewhat related note, did you notice any break in time on your mounts?

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
What you're most likely hearing is gear lash. It's more pronounced due to the SMF. New gear oil quieted it down a bit but it's still there in mine, especially in first gear around 5mph.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I just put in a dkm twin disc and it's rowdy. Loud, crunchy and pretty lashey. It sounds like a tdi 8-1700rpm I'll just be honest. But works like a champ. At idle it's actually not that bad at all just normal chatter but it's very inconsistent

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
What you're most likely hearing is gear lash. It's more pronounced due to the SMF. New gear oil quieted it down a bit but it's still there in mine, especially in first gear around 5mph.
What oil did you go with?

After a bit of research it's looking like Motul Gear 300 75W-90 is looking like the best bet.

I just put in a dkm twin disc and it's rowdy. Loud, crunchy and pretty lashey. It sounds like a tdi 8-1700rpm I'll just be honest. But works like a champ. At idle it's actually not that bad at all just normal chatter but it's very inconsistent
Sounds exactly like what I'm also hearing too.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
What oil did you go with?

After a bit of research it's looking like Motul Gear 300 75W-90 is looking like the best bet.

yeap, that's the oil i'll probably be trying myself as well if factory fill is too loud for my taste. i'm gonna be in the same boat soon with SMF setup..at that time, we'll see how it is in the cold..

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
yeap, that's the oil i'll probably be trying myself as well if factory fill is too loud for my taste. i'm gonna be in the same boat soon with SMF setup..at that time, we'll see how it is in the cold..

With the windows down I don't hear the chatter when I'm moving in higher than 1st gear.

The engine mounts I have I'm sure are part of the reason I'm hearing the transmission in the car.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
When I was tracking my Carrera S I added a single mass flywheel. It was also my DD, and the digital feel of the clutch in traffic combined with increased NVH was not worth the faster spooling on track IMO. I never found a solution and eventually went back to the stock Porsche clutch. I don't think gear oil or other simpler fixes will make things much better. If you want the faster spooling I think you may have to live it. Everyone is different and I can certainly see circumstances where people would think it is worth it.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
When I was tracking my Carrera S I added a single mass flywheel. It was also my DD, and the digital feel of the clutch in traffic combined with increased NVH was not worth the faster spooling on track IMO. I never found a solution and eventually went back to the stock Porsche clutch. I don't think gear oil or other simpler fixes will make things much better. If you want the faster spooling I think you may have to live it. Everyone is different and I can certainly see circumstances where people would think it is worth it.
I hope that gear 300 oil will help reduce the noise that I've been hearing.

Honestly now that the weather is warming up a bit I've been keeping the windows at least cracked and can't hear any transmission noises over the wind and radio :D

I can really only hear the noises that I'm complaining about when the radio is turned down low and I romp on the gas below 2krpm. Under light throttle you can't really hear much of a difference between what I have now and stock.

My solution so far is to drive around the problem and not really get on it unless I absolutely have to at lower RPMs. To which I'd only have that issue in 1st gear because I otherwise keep the engine spinning at 2k RPM. Habit I picked up when I had a TDI.

I'll report back what I've found when I swap gear oils. worst case I'm out $50. Though I've heard several reports from owners of other makes/models that found changing the gear oil to something else a little thicker (to absorb the engine pulses) seems to help a bit.