GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reduce gear noise with single mass flywheel

john_t

Adding a dogbone pendulum mount helped quiet the chatter for me.
IMO, the overall drivability improvement and performance gains make the minimal chatter a DNC (Do Not Care) for me.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
This is gonna sounds completely out of left field, but I've had a couple of cars that came from the factory with a damper attached to the exhaust piping.

After my clutch gets installed (SMFW) if the gear noise is bad, I'm gonna look for an empty, tapped hole in the trans housing and rig up some kind of damper just to see if it makes a difference. (Hope the parts are cheap).

The strange thing is my other performance cars never exhibited excessive gear noise and they used a SMFW stock... Is the VW gear box built to really loose tolerances?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Adding a dogbone pendulum mount helped quiet the chatter for me.
IMO, the overall drivability improvement and performance gains make the minimal chatter a DNC (Do Not Care) for me.

I have all three super pro mounts installed. Engine, transmission, and dog-bone mounts. Here's more info on them:
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SuperPro-Engine-Mount-Kit-Aud-VW-MQB.html

I'm actually right there with you. Overall driveability and gear to gear changes are vastly better then stock. Add to that I'll never have to worry about the DMF failing or have to worry about when will my stock clutch start to slip (it actually already started to slip).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have all three super pro mounts installed. Engine, transmission, and dog-bone mounts. Here's more info on them:
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/SuperPro-Engine-Mount-Kit-Aud-VW-MQB.html

I'm actually right there with you. Overall driveability and gear to gear changes are vastly better then stock. Add to that I'll never have to worry about the DMF failing or have to worry about when will my stock clutch start to slip (it actually already started to slip).

It says those aren't available. Not out of stock not available.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
It says those aren't available. Not out of stock not available.

Correct!

They are no longer made. I had to scour the net to find them. Found them on ebay.co.uk

Yes they are worth it! Vibrations are very close to stock. Noise is a bit more then I was expecting however. Think of a stethoscope oh each side of the car, one for the engine, and the other for the transmission.

I like everything about this setup except for the added low RPM noise.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Correct!

They are no longer made. I had to scour the net to find them. Found them on ebay.co.uk

Yes they are worth it! Vibrations are very close to stock. Noise is a bit more then I was expecting however. Think of a stethoscope oh each side of the car, one for the engine, and the other for the transmission.

I like everything about this setup except for the added low RPM noise.

They are on the US website on eBay but being shipped from the UK for $860. How does that price compare to the stock ones?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
They are on the US website on eBay but being shipped from the UK for $860. How does that price compare to the stock ones?
Why would anyone here want stock mounts? they are comfy, but that is a downfall when making big power or shifting quickly through the gears. They simply have far too much play for sprited driving.

If I didn't have big ideas for big power and possibly a built engine I would have just went 034 density line for the engine and transmission mounts and their inserts for the dog bone mount,

Super Pro is the only company that made mounts with livable amount of NVH (darn near stock TBH). I had Revo Engine and transmission mounts.While the vibrations and harshness was very livable, the noise was too much which is why I went to the super pros. Were they worth it? If your end goal is to go beyond stage 2 power levels and still maintain a nice daily driver then yes.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Why would anyone here want stock mounts? they are comfy, but that is a downfall when making big power or shifting quickly through the gears. They simply have far too much play for sprited driving.

If I didn't have big ideas for big power and possibly a built engine I would have just went 034 density line for the engine and transmission mounts and their inserts for the dog bone mount,

Super Pro is the only company that made mounts with livable amount of NVH (darn near stock TBH). I had Revo Engine and transmission mounts.While the vibrations and harshness was very livable, the noise was too much which is why I went to the super pros. Were they worth it? If your end goal is to go beyond stage 2 power levels and still maintain a nice daily driver then yes.

Thank you for that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just ordered the Super Pro mounts on eBay. Not cheap $1047. I'm a courier and am in my car 9 hours a day so I certainly hope that the lack of vibration is as advertised.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I just ordered the Super Pro mounts on eBay. Not cheap $1047. I'm a courier and am in my car 9 hours a day so I certainly hope that the lack of vibration is as advertised.
Vibration is darn near stock. If you have a manual transmission be warned that you'll likely get some transmission noise in the cabin.

Honestly having been through a couple different sets of mounts I'd say they are a happy medium that don't introduce much vibration or harshness. I mean it's a little bit more then stock. but stock feels like the engine wasn't even connected to the car. I like having a little bit of feedback :cool:

I actually had more vibrations from the 034 dogbone upper and lower inserts that I had previously. But not in a bad way. it geve me feedback on what the clutch was doing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Vibration is darn near stock. If you have a manual transmission be warned that you'll likely get some transmission noise in the cabin.

Honestly having been through a couple different sets of mounts I'd say they are a happy medium that don't introduce much vibration or harshness. I mean it's a little bit more then stock. but stock feels like the engine wasn't even connected to the car. I like having a little bit of feedback :cool:

I actually had more vibrations from the 034 dogbone upper and lower inserts that I had previously. But not in a bad way. it geve me feedback on what the clutch was doing.

I have a DSG. I'm a courier and put about 60,000 miles per year and plan on keeping my GTI for over 200,000 miles. I would like to order two sets of the Super Pro mounts if they weren't so expensive but I'll need to replace them at some point with that mileage.