GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reduce gear noise with single mass flywheel

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Do you have a Fluidamper? If not, get one as it will help reduce the noise.
I have a Fluidampr, yet I still have gear lash noise and chattering. I will say that I did the Fluidampr and SMF/clutch at the same time so I don't have a before and after.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Considering the noise is from the gear box, I don't see how an external balancer/dampner on the opposite side of the engine is going to make a difference.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Considering the noise is from the gear box, I don't see how an external balancer/dampner on the opposite side of the engine is going to make a difference.
I dont think it did make a difference although I did it at the same time as the clutch so its hard to tell. I got it for its other benefits.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
There's more to the Fluidampr than reduction of gearbox chatter...
https://fluidampr.com/how-a-fluidampr-works/
I know a couple of locals that had the stock damper then the Fluidampr on a single mass flywheel setup. It helps a little bit... Kinda takes the edge off the chatter.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Fwiw, I just installed (50 miles ago) a southbend stage 3 daily in my 6mt sportwagen. Revo pendulum insert. The rest of the mounts are stock.

The car is a completely different car. I pulled out the CDV at the same time. The way it drives is so much more direct. Rev matches are seamless. It's phenomenal.

I have almost no chatter at idle BUT, if I blip the gas in neutral I hear it a little bit. And there's definitely what sounds like chatter in low RPMS with light load. If I spool up a bit it goes away. I noticed it a lot driving up my driveway slowly in first below ~1800rpm.

I can't find other discussions about it elsewhere. The general consensus is that it's normal at idle and that's it.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Fwiw, I just installed (50 miles ago) a southbend stage 3 daily in my 6mt sportwagen. Revo pendulum insert. The rest of the mounts are stock.

The car is a completely different car. I pulled out the CDV at the same time. The way it drives is so much more direct. Rev matches are seamless. It's phenomenal.

I have almost no chatter at idle BUT, if I blip the gas in neutral I hear it a little bit. And there's definitely what sounds like chatter in low RPMS with light load. If I spool up a bit it goes away. I noticed it a lot driving up my driveway slowly in first below ~1800rpm.

I can't find other discussions about it elsewhere. The general consensus is that it's normal at idle and that's it.
You defiantly get more engine and transmission noise once you get the engine and transmission mounts upgraded to mounts that are more solid then the OEM marshmallows :ROFLMAO:

That said having all three mounts installed really transforms the car to feel much more connected to the driver :cool: