GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
yes. My setup during install:

Happen to have the part number for that thermostat and any other parts needed? What size cooler are you using and is it mounted in the usual VWR location? I assume you got rid of the VWR pressure relief sandwich plate to use the thermostat instead? How are temps on the street on colder day? Thanks for posting, glad there may be some good, but expensive solutions.

Glad to see more options being discussed in this thread! Super helpful information!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You still need the VWR pressure based sandwich plate. Navi has added a temp thermostat in series. His cooler is mounted in the wheel well.

I plan on placing mine in the standard location. Front and Center.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You still need the VWR pressure based sandwich plate. Navi has added a temp thermostat in series. His cooler is mounted in the wheel well.

You may want to drill holes in the plastic ducts and add some slits so you can retain the ducting and push the hoses in. I cut it back, and that was a mistake... Took a lot of duct tape to reseal properly later...

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I'll have my oil filter assembly for a mockup soon, anyone want a copy of the VWR adapter to fit a normal Mocal or Derale sandwich thermostat? Debating whether to hard anodize or regular Type II.

Navi

Autocross Champion

I'm not running the VWR pressure plate. The only VWR part that I am running is the oil canister adapter. I'm using a mocal Subaru BRZ spacer and setrab thermostat ontop of the vwr adapter. Then setrab lines going to the billet mocal remote oil filter adapter and a setrab 19 row oil cooler.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I'm not running the VWR pressure plate. The only VWR part that I am running is the oil canister adapter. I'm using a mocal Subaru BRZ spacer and setrab thermostat ontop of the vwr adapter. Then setrab lines going to the billet mocal remote oil filter adapter and a setrab 19 row oil cooler.
This is the same setup I put together recently and everything lined up perfectly. You can even fit the larger subaru filters if you take off or trim the engine cover.

Agree you only need the vwr canister to thread on adapter and the alternate style filter stem on some.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Hypothetical question(s), this is purely me musing.

To retain the stock OEM drainback and pressure relief bypass valve, the filter may not fit under the hood anymore especially with the added thickness of the sandwich thermostat. I am researching various options right now and trying to find short filters that don't have a built-in valve.

Reason is because I don't know the spring rate of the stock system, so it's hard for me to match a filter that will open the bypass at roughly the same value. The higher end replaceable cartridge filter (like the Setrab HyperFlow and the Canton systems) do not have any form of pressure relief, so that function is intended to take place elsewhere.

In a nutshell, how many people are willing to run an oil filter relocation kit?

I guess a followup question is if anyone cares about the pressure relief valve - for super cold oil, this is great as it removes the obstruction added by the oil filter. When hot/warm/thinner viscosity, the valve closes so oil passes back through the filter. This is how the OE designed it, but depending on the circumstances and how you use your cars, the concern may be misplaced which brings me to my last question: do I leave filter selection to you, the people?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I’d like to see a system that the retains OE oil filter characteristics as closely as possible. My car is 99.9% street use.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I’d like to see a system that the retains OE oil filter characteristics as closely as possible. My car is 99.9% street use.

Anyone know the micron rating for the stock oil filter? Looks like we have about 1.5" to 2" of clearance between the bottom of the hood and the top of the stock plastic filter housing? I'm wondering if this is even possible, an custom made sandwich plate with the stock filter housing threads that just literally screws in between the accessory bracket and the plastic housing. That way you can use stock components.

Otherwise, the only realistically decent small/compact filter is the Mazda Roki filter here: https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-oil-filter-n3r114302

Issue is that it has a bypass valve, still need to measure the value on the stock piece - ideally the stock bypass opens up before the one on the filter (as the filter one of ~20-26PSI isn't needed, I want to retain the OE VW part). Not only that, it's also rated only for ~21 microns. It is however commonly used in all Subaru's (turbo or not) and RX8's if that's any consolation.

We can also spec it for a bigger filter, but it may required an offset adapter plate which may not even work due to how the adapter is installed. Better to stay close to stock housing diameter.

Still pondering details.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Would the problem be any different if there was no thermostat or pressure switch to direct oil to an external cooler and instead there was a manually operated valve? The oil cooler is only needed on track. Otherwise, it could be bypassed.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Would the problem be any different if there was no thermostat or pressure switch to direct oil to an external cooler and instead there was a manually operated valve? The oil cooler is only needed on track. Otherwise, it could be bypassed.
That was my original intent, but sourcing a manual inline valve with bypass/return wasn't easily doable.

@burgerkong, the subaru brz filter is shorter and will fit with the racingline thread kit, so it should fit for you as well. It does not allow the engine cover to snap on though. I would ensure the top thread plate has a countersink and drain, unlike the racingline design, so you don't cover the whole engine bay in oil every time an oil change occurs.