GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Is he still tuning??? I heard he stopped at the very least offering tunes to new customers :(
Yeah exactly, he just isn't taking new customers. He had been tuning me before all that went down so he's still mah tunah. Just caught him right in the middle of remodeling his house unfortunately. lol

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
And the line from the PCV plate to the N80 does not have a check valve in it correct?
When I bought the kit, they forgot to give me a barb fitting an line. I can't remember off hand if you can see inside that side of the plate. (From underneath). So unless there is a check valve built into it before the barb fitting goes, then there is none.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So Moose seems actually pretty happy with the file and has given me his blessing to start turning up the timing and watching knock and all that fun stuff. So here we go! Once we think it's all set I'll go jump on the same dyno I did the V2 on.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
1589144203429.gif

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well boys and girls, I threw on the CTS PCV plate and put on the Spulen line to the N80 that has the checkvalve because I wanted to see if my catch can would still fill with oil after a few pulls.

IMG_0697 (Edited).JPG

Welp, sure enough, it still does. So that sucks. I guess I either just have too much blowby or perhaps oil isn't draining properly from the head, though I doubt that's the case. In my leakdown tests, cyl 1 is a little leakier than 2,3,4 (which are perfect) so maybe that's the culprit. Regardless motor still seems very healthy otherwise and still makes good power. I will just stick with stock PCV, which doesn't ever give me issues, except at the track. And at the track, I guess I will just have to smoke around the corners. lmao

So couple things, Spulen isn't to blame after all, and I can also take what their tech was telling me more seriously. I'll leave this here:

"Please keep in mind we have extensive experience with these exact builds, we currently have 2 Golf R's in the shop that had this same issue as they were built at another shop and kept eating up the blades on the APR stage 3 kit. After spending some time investigating, we've come to find out no matter what catch can plate we put on the build, it would blow raw oil into the turbo. We decided to pull the engine apart and inspect, as the blow-by was just too excessive to be normal."

"Through further digging, we end up finding the pistons were dragging on the walls from the incorrect piston to wall clearance. We rebuilt the engine with new pistons (83mm) and set piston to wall clearance to the correct specs. After completion, we performed the same test on the dyno with clear tubes running to the can and plate and no more raw oil."

FWIW I scoped my walls and they look pretty clean. But like I said, maybe that extra 5-7% leakiness from cyl1 where 2,3,4 are practically 0%, is the culprit? Seems plausible.

I have a track day tomorrow. #sendit

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
So, old hot rodders used to use a 45 degree slash cut tube welded into the exhaust. Bernoullis principle. It'd pull vacuum on the crank case and not pull anything into the intake.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Well boys and girls, I threw on the CTS PCV plate and put on the Spulen line to the N80 that has the checkvalve because I wanted to see if my catch can would still fill with oil after a few pulls.

View attachment 173417

Welp, sure enough, it still does. So that sucks. I guess I either just have too much blowby or perhaps oil isn't draining properly from the head, though I doubt that's the case. In my leakdown tests, cyl 1 is a little leakier than 2,3,4 (which are perfect) so maybe that's the culprit. Regardless motor still seems very healthy otherwise and still makes good power. I will just stick with stock PCV, which doesn't ever give me issues, except at the track. And at the track, I guess I will just have to smoke around the corners. lmao

So couple things, Spulen isn't to blame after all, and I can also take what their tech was telling me more seriously. I'll leave this here:

"Please keep in mind we have extensive experience with these exact builds, we currently have 2 Golf R's in the shop that had this same issue as they were built at another shop and kept eating up the blades on the APR stage 3 kit. After spending some time investigating, we've come to find out no matter what catch can plate we put on the build, it would blow raw oil into the turbo. We decided to pull the engine apart and inspect, as the blow-by was just too excessive to be normal."

"Through further digging, we end up finding the pistons were dragging on the walls from the incorrect piston to wall clearance. We rebuilt the engine with new pistons (83mm) and set piston to wall clearance to the correct specs. After completion, we performed the same test on the dyno with clear tubes running to the can and plate and no more raw oil."

FWIW I scoped my walls and they look pretty clean. But like I said, maybe that extra 5-7% leakiness from cyl1 where 2,3,4 are practically 0%, is the culprit? Seems plausible.

I have a track day tomorrow. #sendit
Here is a good video about the increased demand of crankcase ventilation on high hp engines, the aftermarket kits that are available might not have enough flow for your engine so it builds up pressure and starts pushing out oil.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Here is a good video about the increased demand of crankcase ventilation on high hp engines, the aftermarket kits that are available might not have enough flow for your engine so it builds up pressure and starts pushing out oil.

Watching this now, thanks for sharing!

So I had an absolute blast on the track yesterday. It was raining all day and the day before so the track was soaked. Amazingly, there wasn't much standing water on the track. This track surface is known for being extremely slick when wet, and man was it. I learned a ton about car control. The car did fantastic, and the turbo did as well. Pretty sure I broke something exhaust related though, car got super gnarly-sounding after my first session. Haven't checked it out yet. Also had an intercooler hose pop off, but had all my tools so I fixed it while I was there.

Best track day I've had in 2 years fellas!! I was running circles around my ZL1 1LE Camaro buddies, my FWD finally seemed to have me at an advantage. lol

Also, company at the track brought out their new C8 Corvette track car, threw in the passenger seat and gave rides. I got a few laps in it and it was awesome.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0724 (Edited).JPG

I haven't purchased this photo yet, but the photographer featured this on his FB page today and gave me permission to share... Enjoy the best photo I have to date on my car:

IMG_0729.JPG