GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
So, I placed an order on Monday and they just got in this afternoon. Talk about super fast shipping from Germany!

BTW, the headlights are made in Taiwan in case anyone wanted to know.

The quality of the headlight is OE equivalent. They are much nicer than those other aftermarket headlights i've tried in the past e.g. Helix and Ed's.

Did a quick function test (parking, turn, DRL, hazards) and they seem to be operating correctly except for 1 function.

- with the ignition ON, light switch to parking lights, the little trapezoid LED in the inner "L" led does not light up. According to the instructions it's supposed to.

- that trapezoid LED only lights up when my turn signals are on, or my headlights are on

It's quite the anomaly. My guess is that the coding we have in US may differ slightly from European models.

I'll most likely install them tomorrow or Friday night. I'll def take some pics then for everyone's reference.

Last edited:

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally installed the headlights today. It took me around 3 hours.

Before the install, I ceramic coated the head lights and gorilla taped a dry & dry silica pack to the inside of each light housing. Unfortunately the 1 silica pack didn't do much to stop the fogging. I did this when I had Ed's Golf R style lights and it worked pretty well there. I might end up ramping it up to 2 or 3 silica packs per housing.

I did run into an issue with passenger side blinker. It would freak out as if it was an over voltage issue. I ended up using OBDeleven to code it out.

I ended up coding: Central Electronics > Adaptation > Light configuration >

Lasttyp 0 = 38 - LED Blinkleuchten (left turn signal)
Lasttyp 1 = 38 - LED Blinkleuchten (right turn signal)

I took my sweet time lining up the headlight to fit the body contours (lines up better than my stock halogens, Helix, and Ed's):

Also ran the passenger side head light positive battery harness across the radiator support and tucked it underneath the intake box that connects to air box.

Fitted (color temp is very close to OEM fogs):

Cut off:

It was totally worth the time and money. It's a great alternative to OEM lighting package and a great way to be a little different as well. The quality is spot on, OEM equivalent. The shape of these housings are even better than my halogens.

I have yet to see if the project jiggles over road imperfections. I'll know as soon as it turns dark out.

Scala

Ready to race!
I did run into an issue with passenger side blinker. It would freak out as if it was an over voltage issue. I ended up using OBDeleven to code it out.

I ended up coding: Central Electronics > Adaptation > Light configuration >

Lasttyp 0 = 38 - LED Blinkleuchten (left turn signal)
Lasttyp 1 = 38 - LED Blinkleuchten (right turn signal)

Thanks for the report.

I'm doing mine this weekend but this blinker issue ^ scares me and I have no OBDeleven nor am I competent with VCDS.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks.

Scala

Ready to race!
Probably this is due to the fact that the Mk7 US specification car has no LED turn signals?

BTW why are you guys concerned about jitters, don't the clusters fit tightly?

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the report.

I'm doing mine this weekend but this blinker issue ^ scares me and I have no OBDeleven nor am I competent with VCDS.

What do you suggest I do?

Thanks.

No problem.

It could be an isolated incident. I'm sure VW has made module and software changes during production.

You can do what I did before fitting them. Just unplug the passenger side light and test both OSRAM housings and test all functions.
(you'll notice that both headlight connectors on either side are exactly the same, so testing both housings on 1 side should give an accurate result)

The turn signal odd flickering would only happen when the engine was running and turn signals on in any lighting position including hazards.

If you do encounter the issue, I recommend purchasing OBDeleven Pro. It's totally worth the investment and the interface is easy to use. Just make sure you have an Android device laying around.

Last edited:

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
As regards to projector jitters, I haven't experienced any.

I did have jittering issues with Ed's lights, that was one of many reasons I gave up on them. I'm not here to bash on his lights, I personally didn't have a good experience with them.

Scala

Ready to race!
Thank you chuncomunco !

Mine is a 2017 S, same as yours, and I wouldn't be surprised to encounter the same issue. I'll wait for the OBDeleven before proceeding.

Scala

Ready to race!
Finished mine last night before I ordered the OBDeleven. All went without a glitch and it did not require coding the turn signals.
Took it out for a drive, great throw, great pattern and great daylight LED color temp.
The delivery from Germany took less than one week and DHL did a good job of collecting the customs fee without slowing down the process, something that UPS is not so good at.

Thanks go to both you guys, fredo and chunco, I wouldn't have done it without you.

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Finished mine last night before I ordered the OBDeleven. All went without a glitch and it did not require coding the turn signals.
Took it out for a drive, great throw, great pattern and great daylight LED color temp.
The delivery from Germany took less than one week and DHL did a good job of collecting the customs fee without slowing down the process, something that UPS is not so good at.

Thanks go to both you guys, fredo and chunco, I wouldn't have done it without you.

Glad your install went well. Always happy to help.

I'll probably post a long term update in a few months.

Scala

Ready to race!
Nice night tonight, dark and no rain and I couldn't resist taking the GTI for a ride to check out the Osrams. It was so good I kept driving and marvelling.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ahhh, you guys are making the wait for mine so difficult. Once I finally get them installed I will regale you with me tale me getting scammed in my attempt to have these lights before Christmas, haha.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Scala

Ready to race!
Ahhh, you guys are making the wait for mine so difficult.

Not to torture you but the look just sitting there is excellent and the DRLs and turn signals are great too. I got them for the low and high beams but the rest is a big bonus.