GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

fredothechimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Finished my install last week as well, but have been stuck with the flu and busy at work. Hopefully, I can get some pictures in the next few days now that it's slowed down.

My replacement right light came within a few days from OSRAM Germany and had no issues with.

Haven't seen any jittering with the lights and haven't experienced the blinker issue. I do see some mild condensation, but I think that's expected on all MK7 lights at this point. chuncomunco is right that silica one packet hasn't been sufficient when the weather is better I'll add a few more inside.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Finally got my lights installed. Also installed my folding mirrors with dynamic blinkers that I have had sitting in the garage for a year. I'm now dynamic turn signals front/mirror/rear. The mirror signals are smoked and basically invisible in the daytime so I will be replacing those with either the frosted or clear ones that were released well after I bought mine. I don't know that Los Angeles drivers are paying any attention to mirror turn signals anyway but I don't like the idea of them not being visible.

These Osrams are incredible. Quality is at least equal to the OEM halogens I removed. I need to take closer pictures but the fit seems better as well although I chalk that up to making the adjustments while installing. I would guess the OEM lights could have been adjusted to fit much better than they did from the factory.

Light output is a major step up. No flickering or jittering that I can see. Also no warnings on the dash but I haven't done a scan yet so there may be some hidden faults. Once I do a scan I will likely look into coding those out but these lights are such an improvement that I might not even care. Ordered from mytuning.de on a Sunday (Monday in Germany). Lights were at my local DHL by Thursday. Paid $33 duty and picked them up on Friday.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The fit is great but it should be noted this is largely a function of taking your time on install. The shape of the lights is dead on. This should be expected from Osram, especially given these lights that are road legal (in some countries, US excluded). The screws used to secure the lights allow adjustment to make sure your gaps are even.

My gaps are better than factory with the Osrams but I certainly didn't take time to adjust the stock lights as the gaps weren't uneven enough to fuss with. Also of note is that the gap between my fenders and hood is slightly different side-to-side. I don't know if the hood, one (or both) of the fenders would need adjusting to fix this. Consequently, my lights are probably not in the exact same position but the gaps on the respective sides are good.

Scala

Ready to race!
They look even better in the red stripe version matching the stripe in the front of the car.

As for light performance after a few weeks I'm still looking for reasons to drive at night.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Scala, do the stripes on the Osrams line up with a LP grill? I'm in a Golf so I would have needed to buy the grill. I went black on the lights which looks good on anything I suppose but I may pull the grill and remove the chrome piece to see if I like it better.

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Scala, do the stripes on the Osrams line up with a LP grill? I'm in a Golf so I would have needed to buy the grill. I went black on the lights which looks good on anything I suppose but I may pull the grill and remove the chrome piece to see if I like it better.

I opted for the Chrome stripe version and they do line up with my GTD LP grill.

Posted a picture of my install post #142.

Good choice on the black edition. Really like how it darkens up the front. Definitely makes the car look quite different. The OEM halogen have so much damn chrome, I couldn't stand it.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yeah, the amount of chrome on the front was too much for me. I already had the badge skins black on the front emblem. I like my chrome as an accent, not a feature, lol.

Scala

Ready to race!
Scala, do the stripes on the Osrams line up with a LP grill? I'm in a Golf so I would have needed to buy the grill....

Mine is a white Mk7 GTI and the red stripes not only match perfectly but also give the car a great look.
Still driving at night just to enjoy the performance of the headlights.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I haven't been flashed by anyone but I feel like my lights are aimed too high. I don't know if it's because they actually are high or because the visibility is so much better now though. I've been driving more at night too... ordered pizza on Friday to watch the semi-finals... and went to pick it up, haha.

The_Belgian

I've got the same impression with these lights, aimed slightly high but nobody has flashed me yet. (Installed them about 2 weeks ago.) Haven't done much pitch black driving, the days are getting nice and long...

I haven't been flashed by anyone but I feel like my lights are aimed too high. I don't know if it's because they actually are high or because the visibility is so much better now though. I've been driving more at night too... ordered pizza on Friday to watch the semi-finals... and went to pick it up, haha.

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
Does the red line match up with the red line on the non-LP GTI grill?
Not sure if I should go red or just get the black and black out my red grill stripe.

Also, are these worth $1000? :rolleyes:

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed

Does the red line match up with the red line on the non-LP GTI grill?
Not sure if I should go red or just get the black and black out my red grill stripe.

Also, are these worth $1000? :rolleyes:

Referring back to Stronggside's post; the LP grill looks to line up with the headlights. You can tell it's an LP grill by the amount of spacing there is between the red strip and bottom of the grill.

From my experience, I have a GTD (gray strip) LP grill and it lines up with the chrome strip on my headlights.

Are they worth the $1,000? It's highly subjective, but, I think so especially due to the OEM like build quality. The earlier units had some electronic issues, but, it looks like they worked out those issues with these later production units.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Been running mine for a while now, still love driving at night... and seeing how mean the DRLs look in the reflection on cars in front of me.

Question for others running them... anybody coded out the side marker (parking?) lights? I get a fault for them that shows up in a scan, but doesn't generate any dash warnings. I believe people running various rep headlights get this code as well. Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind being completely fault free despite my various mods/retrofits.