GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil around filler cap

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Probably sacrilege for this forum, but I’d rather a vw mechanic do it :-/ I’d manage to jack up the car.

Nothing wrong with going "I wouldn't want to mess this up" and tapping out.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Also. There's gotta be some kind of hack fix that could be done that doesn't require changing the entire upper timing cover. Like duct tape and zip ties or some shit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just get a small funnel and fill from the dipstick when doing oil changes :ROFLMAO:

wunder

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Also. There's gotta be some kind of hack fix that could be done that doesn't require changing the entire upper timing cover. Like duct tape and zip ties or some shit.
You would think. The tiniest piece of plastic causing a huge PITA.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Well, that was short-lived. Oil leak is back. As I inspected closer, I realize the bad news is one of the little “nubs” that enables the cap to firmly lock down has broken off. From what I can gather online, it’s yet another piece of crap plastic that is part of the entire timing cover.

Anyone have that experience? What would be the labor costs on that?
Have you tried using a couple of viton O-rings to the oil cap?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well, mine started leaking. Don't know for how long, but i had low oil and when went to fill, there was definitely oil around the cap. I don't think my low oil was from that as it needed 1 1/2 quarts and there was not that much oil. I notice when i put the cap on, it's not really snug. I can drop push it down, then it's snug. Not sure if that's normal.

Doing O Ring, but going to check if tabs are broken first.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Probably sacrilege for this forum, but I’d rather a vw mechanic do it :-/ I’d manage to jack up the car.
This is one of those jobs where I can see even heavily DiY people letting someone more experienced complete, though I'd still find a GOOD shop and not let a stealership do it. You never know what idiot will get the job at a dealer.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, mine started leaking. Don't know for how long, but i had low oil and when went to fill, there was definitely oil around the cap. I don't think my low oil was from that as it needed 1 1/2 quarts and there was not that much oil. I notice when i put the cap on, it's not really snug. I can drop push it down, then it's snug. Not sure if that's normal.

Doing O Ring, but going to check if tabs are broken first.
Just replace the cap.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Is D the latest revision