GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brand new 2016 MK7 has major clutch issues. MANUAL 2016 BUYERS BEWARE

IslandVW808

Got the car delivered with 17 miles on it. It now has 2600 miles on it and has been in the shop over 3 times with almost 30 working days of shop time.

I am seriously considering filing a lemon law suit.

Here is my problem,

Clutch pedal sticks to floor occasionally when the clutch is hot.

Slave cylinder was replaced after I had to prove the problem with photos and video and the problem persisted :mad:

Master slave was replaced today 12/10 and I hope the problem resolves yet I can still hear an audible click* when the clutch is disengaged in neutral. I wonder if the problem has caused damage to the flywheel / other parts of the clutch.

They said if the problem is still there they will replace the clutch for me.

Pretty mad that it has come to this point along with all the inconvenience.

the Master cylinder is on NATIONAL BACK ORDER which means the problem is common among 2016 GTI models.

If requested I will post video / photos of the clutch problem in action for your guys reference.

If i knew this was going to happen I would have bought the DSG.

jerry426

You may want to consider the clutch delay valve removal.

While I have the DSG and love it, the very first thing I'd do if I had the manual would be to get this flow restrictor out of that hydraulic line such that _I_ can control the engagement rate instead of it being limited.

It may not help your problem, and also may not have prevented it, but I now know it is why I thought the clutch pedal felt strange when I test drove the manual at the dealership.

Beyond all that, if your clutch slippage has been very minimal then you probably didn't damage it enough to shorten its life. If it slipped a lot, then try to get dealer to replace it. And the flywheel too if it shows any signs of overheating. The repair, once done properly, will leave you with as good a clutch as anyone else has so probably no need to lemon law the car. The lemon law process/hassle is probably not worth the trouble as long as they can get it fixed properly.

BlkMagicR2016

I've heard in rare cases that the thrust bearings that keep the crankshaft centered fail and under certain conditions the crank will shift forward when loading up the pressure plate which would then result in clutch pedal going to floor due to gap between the hydrolic bearing and pressure plate. Sounds like this is what's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kstack34

I had an issue in my 15 mt GTI, where my clutch would occasionally stick....turned out my thrust bearing failed in the motor. They found it in my oil pan. This bearing prevents play in the crank shaft, and too much play in the crank will cause your issue. Id ask them to look at it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

kstack34

To add on, I did just get a brand new motor last week, all covered under warranty :)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Wideopentuning

Ready to race!
Check crankshaft end play. Thrust bearing failure is happening on the 1.8t and 2.0t Gen3 E888 engines. I'm surprised there aren't a bunch of posts on it yet. One of my local dealers has replaced at least 4 engines due to this. In more than one instance, the thrust bearing was laying in the bottom of the oil pan.