GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brand new 2016 MK7 has major clutch issues. MANUAL 2016 BUYERS BEWARE

IslandVW808

Got the car delivered with 17 miles on it. It now has 2600 miles on it and has been in the shop over 3 times with almost 30 working days of shop time.

I am seriously considering filing a lemon law suit.

Here is my problem,

Clutch pedal sticks to floor occasionally when the clutch is hot.

Slave cylinder was replaced after I had to prove the problem with photos and video and the problem persisted

Master slave was replaced today 12/10 and I hope the problem resolves yet I can still hear an audible click* when the clutch is disengaged in neutral. I wonder if the problem has caused damage to the flywheel / other parts of the clutch.

They said if the problem is still there they will replace the clutch for me.

Pretty mad that it has come to this point along with all the inconvenience.

the Master cylinder is on NATIONAL BACK ORDER which means the problem is common among 2016 GTI models.

If requested I will post video / photos of the clutch problem in action for your guys reference.

If i knew this was going to happen I would have bought the DSG.

Kjhcambs

Ready to race!
I am not sure what the leon process is in the US. I rejected two cars in the UK, both Golfs but that was back in 90s and it was not an easy task. However that was for paint issues which they constantly bodged. If the replace the clutch and all is fixed then would it worth the hassle. Having said that I know how I would feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Don't have these issues on my 2016 GTI but will keep an eye out for anything funny with the clutch. Thanks!

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Lemon Law is a lot easier than you think. For sure open a channel to VWoA to begin a paper trail. A field engineer should be assigned immediately to confirm the issue who will do the inspection himself. Talk to the service manager at the same time and have them file the request in front of you. In addition, they must pick up a payment for the time, if not two of them.

Got into my mk7 from my mk6 lemon. Had two payments picked up and the process was pretty smooth. Make sure to be on top of emailing and tracking all correspondence! A field engineer is the first step...

Davey Jones

Ready to race!
Yea, I would try the lemon route.

I have a 6sp R with ~6700 on it currently and haven't had any clutch issues (yet).

Yomny1

Ready to race!
Definitely wouldn't want something that's been worked on by different techs and none seem to be able to fix the issue. The cars no longer new and im the type that feels when you mess with something that opens routes for more problems down the road.
Lemon, do not be afraid of the process. I had to contact VWoA myself for an issue and they were very helpful. You could chat, call or email. I suggest chat if you cant call.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Lemon it for sure.

Also ensure you write down/record EVERYTHING. Dates/Times/Who you spoke with/What was done as a result of that conversation.

This was the only way to get satisfaction on my windshield....which has yet to be fixed but that's only because I'm about to go away for 3 weeks and the new and AWESOME dealer I'm involved with doesn't want my car sitting there the whole time. Which is fair.

Anyway, good luck.

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
OP: don't go in with guns blazing either, unless they really get squirrely. Someone mentioned like I did, the process isn't bad. Just keep good records and follow-up often, bcs it will take time. Get the engineer to assess and they're gonna do a full replacement first, meanwhile, make sure they cover some payments! Once, if they determine, it can't be resolved, then it's smooth sailing.

IslandVW808

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I have been logging everything in case it comes to this. What is the best way to initiate the lemon process? Should I talk to VWoA about initiating it or go through some other channel first?

I got the car back yesterday and the clutch seems to be working yet it still makes clicks when I disengage. I am afraid that if its operational they wont do anything at this point.

If anyone else went through the lemon process what is the standard procedure and what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance.