GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI DIY oil change

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Did the oil change last week. Dead easy, and I reused the 'O' ring sealed plastic sump plug.
5.5 litres 5w-30 504 507 VW spec longlife fully syn oil

Filter design is same as Mk5 GTi onwards, albeit its location on engine has changed.

Last edited:

Westy23

Passed Driver's Ed
Did the oil change last week. Dead easy, and I reused the 'O' ring sealed plastic sump plug.
5.5 litres 5w-30 507 VW spec longlife fully syn oil

Filter design is same as Mk5 GTi onwards, albeit its location on engine has changed.

Morning.
The 507 VW spec is for diesels only ,if your golf is a gti it should be 504 VW or
502 VW spec.
Hopefully it meets both specs.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Any mess when removing that oil filter? I miss the mk6 filter...

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
VW does recommend pulling the oil from the top. I used a vacuum oil change device, no muss no fuss without crawling under the car. The whole process took 15 minutes.
Which pump do you use? Some work better than others

Vduber2

Which pump do you use? Some work better than others
I used the KTC tools CJ-169-S oil extractor. The tank hold 6.5 liters and seems to be well made. Not cheap, but it sure makes oil changes a snap. Also the tech's at the dealer say you get more old oil out from the top vs draining. I removed 5 quarts into the tank (I was a quart low at 4500 miles) and it took 6 full quarts to top off the reading on the dipstick. Works for me.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I'd never pump the oil. Drain the oils as "singleminded" described.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I used a Pela extractor for years on my '06 Jetta TDI. It was very easy to do, but in the end I felt it did not actually pull all the oil out. A buddy and I tested this, and we found there was almost 3/4 of a quart left over. We both extracted all we could with the Pela, then put it up on his lift and drained that much out. When we looked at the oil pan closely, we found a depression that would hold about that much oil at the front, and interestingly it also didn't appear to be any way the Pela's tube could reach it.

I'm all for the extraction method, it is very easy, and am planning to try on the GTI, but will make sure it is pulling out all the oil before I decide to use it regularly.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Using the VW VAS 6622 oil extractor you do not push the oil extractor probe further than initial resistance otherwise the tip is deflected at the bottom of the sump causing a large amount of the old oil to remain in the engine.

Same principle I would imagine with aftermarket extractors.

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Wow! After looking at the pictures and then under the hood of my car, this looks like the easiest oil change ever! one more pleasant surprise from my new Golf.

For years I have routinely used an oil suction pump with a tube down the dipstick pipe, the type used on marine engines where you can't get at the oil pan drain plug. How clever of VW to put the oil filter in such a convenient spot. It looks like my biggest challenge is not spilling oil when I try to put it in the filler hole (sic)!

I'm planning on my first oil change at 5,000 mi., then the free one from the dealer.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wow! After looking at the pictures and then under the hood of my car, this looks like the easiest oil change ever! one more pleasant surprise from my new Golf.

For years I have routinely used an oil suction pump with a tube down the dipstick pipe, the type used on marine engines where you can't get at the oil pan drain plug. How clever of VW to put the oil filter in such a convenient spot. It looks like my biggest challenge is not spilling oil when I try to put it in the filler hole (sic)!

I'm planning on my first oil change at 5,000 mi., then the free one from the dealer.
What pump do you use?

Last edited:

blueste

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting! Sadly, I don't think my dealer is changing out the plug with each oil change. I called today to get a price and availability and she first tried to tell me it's not plastic, then she says, "I don't think I've handed one of these out yet." They have at least changed the oil once in my car. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence if these are single use and the dealer isn't following that. To be expected, I guess...