GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI DIY oil change

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just did my first DIY oil change today and how do you tell if you put in enough oil on the dip stick? I know we can tell on the checkered area but because the Castrol oil is such a light brown colour, it's hard to tell where it reaches when we do it inside my garage, even when looking at it under direct light. What we did was start with emptying new 5L bottles into the engine. Then we ran the engine for around 15 seconds, check the dip stick, and then put a bit more from another 5L bottle if it looked low.

I think last time when I DIY with my friend, I may have overfilled the engine both times just a bit. I checked the dip stick prior to starting my oil change and the old oil was above the max line on the dip stick. Assuming I did, that means I tracked with too much oil.

It takes 6 quarts.

Imperialgrunt

So I checked the last 5 pages of this thread but Didn’t see anyone mentioning if the car has to be leveled in order to extract the engine oil?

I’m lowered, so I don’t have any clearance down there. I have a set of ramps, but I’m wondering if I would need to jack and level the rear up in order to do this, or can it be conveniently done with just the front up?

Thanks!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
So I checked the last 5 pages of this thread but Didn’t see anyone mentioning if the car has to be leveled in order to extract the engine oil?

I’m lowered, so I don’t have any clearance down there. I have a set of ramps, but I’m wondering if I would need to jack and level the rear up in order to do this, or can it be conveniently done with just the front up?

Thanks!
use the ramps, drain the oil from below using the drain plug, fill with 5.5 quarts, back off the ramps,, shut down the engine, then add the 0.5 quarts.. Check oil level later when engine is at operating temperature. Do this every time with mine, no problems.

Imperialgrunt

use the ramps, drain the oil from below using the drain plug, fill with 5.5 quarts, back off the ramps,, shut down the engine, then add the 0.5 quarts.. Check oil level later when engine is at operating temperature. Do this every time with mine, no problems.

Great! Thank you for the quick reply and useful info!