GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI DIY oil change

singleminded

Hello all. I just did the first oil change on my 2015 MK7 GTI. Here are some tips and observations:

This is one of the easiest oil changes I've ever done. The main reason is the design of the oil pan's plastic drain plug.

The plug is quite easy to remove, requiring just a medium flat head screwdriver and very little torque. Because you're using a screwdriver, and because the bolt unscrews parallel to the ground, the old oil flows directly into your catch basin with no splashing or running along the tool or your hand. The removed plug also stays attached to the end of the screwdriver, so no worries about it falling into the dirty oil you're collecting.

Next, there is no guesswork involved in installing a new drain plug. (To be on the safe side, I installed a new plug that I bought at my local VW dealer. But based on appearance I believe the old plug could have been reused with no problem). There's no guesswork because it's obvious when the plug is fully installed. There's no serious possibility of it being too loose or too tight. It uses a corkscrew design with an o-ring gasket in the middle, and a protrusion on the outer surface that slips into a notch on the pan when the plug is fully seated. It just takes a few turns of the screwdriver, and you can't turn any farther. Believe me, you'll know when it's right.

Changing the oil filter is pretty easy too, though not as easy as an all-in-one canister style.

I used a $5 rubber strap wrench like shown here: http://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-strap-wrench-set-2-pc-69373.html This allowed removal of the plastic housing for the cartridge filter, without fear of nicking or scratching it. I did remove the plastic engine cover first. Just lift straight up and it pops off.

A new oil filter cartridge from VW comes with a new o-ring gasket, which seats at the base of the threads on the plastic housing. Replacement of the o-ring was very straightforward -- much less hassle than on my E90 BMW (that sucka never wanted to come off!)

It's obvious how to remove the dirty filter from inside the housing, and install your new filter. Not obvious, to me at least, is the exact function of the long plastic arm that runs through the middle of the filter and down into the engine, where it seats with the help of two small o-rings of it's own. I also do not know how often these o-rings should be replaced. Or whether new ones should have come with my new filter, and perhaps got lost. But I wasn't concerned about it this time, as I was changing the oil at 5,000 miles, and the dealer will do an oil change at the recommended 10,000 miles.

Also making things easy, it's very clear when the filter housing is properly reinstalled. I know there's a recommended torque setting printed on top of the housing, but it's quite clear when it is fully seated. Like the drain plug, it can screw in only so far. I don't think you can realistically over tighten it -- the attempt would take so much torque it would break something, if you could even torque it that much with a common wrench. With a rubber strap wrench there was no danger of that. Plus, I noted that the housing screwed in exactly to the point it was before removal (per the green paint marks on housing and receptacle that were put there by the factory to show their proper/original alignment).

Now, I have no idea how reliable any of these plastic components are. But from a DIY perspective they seem to have been engineered by thoughtful people.

Some other observations:

I put in a full 6 US quarts. That is almost exactly the 5.7 liters spec'd for this motor, when replacing the filter. It brought the oil reading to exactly the top of the dipstick.

I used Castrol EDGE 5-40 with the required VW 502 rating, etc.

I used a funnel with quite a small outlet when adding the new oil. The opening below the oil filler cap has a strange configuration, with a kind of shelf covering most of the hole. It looks like it would cause splashing if you tried to pour in oil directly from its container. So I stuck the funnel outlet to the side of the shelf.

At 5000 miles, the old oil appeared in good condition. No strong odor and it was very slippery and smooth when I rubbed it between my fingers. I may follow the standard 10,000 mile interval from here on, but thought I'd do the first earlier.

At 5000 miles the engine had consumed about 1/4 -1/3 quart. About half that was consumed in just the first 200 miles, so it seems to have leveled off.

I hope the above has been helpful. Fun car, this GTI!

Description of the pics:

The first is looking down into the receptacle for the oil filter housing. You can see I had put a rag around the base of it as a precaution against spillage upon removal. As it turns out there was no need for that. As you can probably tell, the dirty oil remains inside as you unscrew the housing. If you look carefully you can see the green paint mark placed by the factory to show the factory alignment with the filter housing. It's at the 7-oclock position. You can see the corresponding paint mark on the housing in the third pic.

The second and third pics show the filter and filter housing, plus the long plastic arm I mentioned. In the background of the third pic is the new drain plug, the oil filler cap and the new filter cartridge.

The fourth pic shows the "shelf" under the oil filler cap. I stuck my funnel to the left of that.

The fifth pic shows the newly installed drain plug.

Attachments

• IMG_4381.jpg
    IMG_4381.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 118,066
  • IMG_4382.jpg
    IMG_4382.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 91,307
  • IMG_4383.jpg
    IMG_4383.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 91,819
  • IMG_4384.jpg
    IMG_4384.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 94,947
  • IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 97,435
Last edited:

jmnj1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for this.

How much was the new drain plug? It sure looks reusable but I don't know if I would trust that. I wonder if you will be able to buy a magnetic plug in the future. I wonder if the oil pan is magnetic on the bottom although it is plastic.

What does the manual say about reusing the drain plug?

It's nice that they put that green mark on the filter housing...makes it real easy.

Not sure about those o-rings on the housing either. Wonder if they ever have to be replaced.

Yeah, you have to watch that "shelf" when filling with oil. I know of guys with Mk6's that broke it off. The "shelf" looks different on the Mk7 but I would still be careful.

Looks like oil change for the Mk7 is one of the easiest I have seen.

singleminded

Thanks for your reply. The plug was $5 (and the filter $9). Kinda pricey, but I really couldn't see why it needed to be replaced at all, especially at 5000 miles. If I decide to do a change at 15K, I think I'll keep the plug the dealer installed at 10k.

I didn't see anything in the manual about the plug. The manual doesn't seem to provide much guidance at all on DIY oil changes.

I also didn't see any evidence of metal/magnets in the oil pan.

I think the main question about this oil pan and plug design is heat. If it can stand up to that without deforming or leaking, I don't see why it can't last past the life of the rest of the car. And if it can't last quite that long, well, replacing the oil pan is hardly a huge deal.

So seems to me this design is a solid plus over what we're used to. Again, a tip of the hat to the engineers.

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Glad I read this thread and studied the pictures.
Became suspicious.. Took measurements of the filter VW dealer gave me. Then compared to those in your pics. Did not add up, so removed the filter from the car to find it was longer. Called VW Parts department, who confirmed the mistake. New one on order.

Phew close call. Moral of this. Remove the filter first BEFORE draining the engine oil.....

singleminded

Phew is right! Good catch!

BTW, I found I had a pic of the drain plug that better shows how it fits into the pan -- how its protrusion on the outer surface fits into the notch on the pan.

As mentioned, this makes it very clear when it is properly installed, removing any doubt about whether it's too loose or too tight.

Here's the pic:

Attachments

• IMG_4385_2.jpg
    IMG_4385_2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 89,819

singleminded

Just seen this on Ebay UK, the plugs costs almost twice as much than in the US (as usual). States they are for single (not reusable) use. So yet another crafty way of squeezing money out of owners.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27e54af61f

Thanks for your post. After reading the "single-use" claim I fetched the plug I'd removed for this oil change and took a careful look. I can't see any reason whatsoever why it wouldn't work through multiple oil changes. The plastic material feels much too high quality to crack or lose shape after a few uses. And the o-ring appears as good as new. It's pretty beefy and also looks high quality, with no sign of drying or losing it's shape etc. It's not like a crush washer that's been used and so crushed already.

It'd take a VW engineer to convince me otherwise -- one of the engineers who worked on this plug!

mrlapou

Ready to race!
I agree. Looks like plug can be re-used a few times.

Fyi... For the 5 oil changes on my previous Audi, never once did the copper sump plug washer need replacing, nor did it leak.