GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Have been test driving other cars and sitting in some over the past few weeks. IS350, A5, A3, S3, 330i, 230i, GLI, Stang, Veloster N, Civic SI, Accord. Nothing (even the expensive Audi and BMW stuff) has matched the Golf/GTI’s combo of functionality, usability, quality, solidity, and performance. It’s kinda insane how good these cars are and how far off other cars are.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
sir those are zoomers
Yes I'm aware of the genetational age ranges...it was an example of other younger-than-me folks that struggle with having to call and actually talk to someone.

Edit. TiGeo is a solid middle-of-the range Gen-Xer. My 3 children are all Zs. My parents are Silents.

Last edited:

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
This thread shamed me into washing the car finally... It's been SEVERAL months- multiple snowy and salty drives... I also used the dirty brush in the stall.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
This thread shamed me into washing the car finally... It's been SEVERAL months- multiple snowy and salty drives... I also used the dirty brush in the stall.
mulan-mushy.gif

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Swapped in my metal oil pan after waiting for weather to be warmer and dry. Got it all done and realized I forgot to put the undertray shield back on.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Have been test driving other cars and sitting in some over the past few weeks. IS350, A5, A3, S3, 330i, 230i, GLI, Stang, Veloster N, Civic SI, Accord. Nothing (even the expensive Audi and BMW stuff) has matched the Golf/GTI’s combo of functionality, usability, quality, solidity, and performance. It’s kinda insane how good these cars are and how far off other cars are.
Until a couple months ago I sold BMW, Porsche, and Audis and can confirm the GTI punches above its weight. To get something that offers a similar level of "fizz", refinement, and usability you're easily spending more than double what many MK7s were new.

I've always liked to think the GTI is like the 911 of hot hatches. It's not the fastest or the fanciest, but as a package it sets the standard and it sets it damn high.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Until a couple months ago I sold BMW, Porsche, and Audis and can confirm the GTI punches above its weight. To get something that offers a similar level of "fizz", refinement, and usability you're easily spending more than double what many MK7s were new.

I've always liked to think the GTI is like the 911 of hot hatches. It's not the fastest or the fanciest, but as a package it sets the standard and it sets it damn high.
I've never really driven anything 'quick' beforehand and since have been spoiled with the GTI. It's hung with 392 Chargers locally, and at absolutely demolished a friend's Stage 2 WRX. I don't know what to think, because mine's not overly modified. They're definitely a fantastic option for a 'do everything' car, at least in my opinion.

also confession: I'm on stock suspension and brakes, and garbage tires. With stage 2 power it's a little sketchy and I can't wait to address those things

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I've never really driven anything 'quick' beforehand and since have been spoiled with the GTI. It's hung with 392 Chargers locally, and at absolutely demolished a friend's Stage 2 WRX. I don't know what to think, because mine's not overly modified. They're definitely a fantastic option for a 'do everything' car, at least in my opinion.

also confession: I'm on stock suspension and brakes, and garbage tires. With stage 2 power it's a little sketchy and I can't wait to address those things
For brakes you can just do the Macan swap- highly recommend and my favorite mod.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
For brakes you can just do the Macan swap- highly recommend and my favorite mod.
I keep looking at it, but ~$2k is hard to swallow at this point. Longer term maybe, but for now I think Hawk HPS (I have HP+ on the AX car and while I love them, I sound like a bus) will fit the bill. Should be suitably grabby and stop well with good fluid, but not as noisy/dusty as the HP+.

We'll see what comes available as time goes on -- I plan to have this car for quite a long time (<-- is that a confession too?).

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I keep looking at it, but ~$2k is hard to swallow at this point. Longer term maybe, but for now I think Hawk HPS (I have HP+ on the AX car and while I love them, I sound like a bus) will fit the bill. Should be suitably grabby and stop well with good fluid, but not as noisy/dusty as the HP+.

We'll see what comes available as time goes on -- I plan to have this car for quite a long time (<-- is that a confession too?).
2k for the swap? Ummm

I spent:

Calipers: 227 each
Rotors: the pair was $330, but I caught them on sale.
Pads: 130
lines: 35

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
2k for the swap? Ummm

I spent:

Calipers: 227 each
Rotors: the pair was $330, but I caught them on sale.
Pads: 130
lines: 35
I stand corrected, not sure where I got the 2k number from. Not a bad pricetag at all, it'll definitely be on my list of to-dos at that price point. BUT first will be pads & fluid, because the fluid should probably get done anyway and well I just want a more capable pad than OEM.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I stand corrected, not sure where I got the 2k number from. Not a bad pricetag at all, it'll definitely be on my list of to-dos at that price point. BUT first will be pads & fluid, because the fluid should probably get done anyway and well I just want a more capable pad than OEM.
Do you have Performance Pack?

I swapped my pads out for EBC Yellows and on the street they worked really well, fluid intially was Motul RBF 600

Switched again to EBC Blue (in the front only bc they don't offer them for the rear) and Endless fluid and even on track she holds up reasonably well. I'd still like to go a little more aggressive for the track, but both of those are more than adequate for street use IMO assuming you have performance pack with the bigger brakes at least

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Do you have Performance Pack?

I swapped my pads out for EBC Yellows and on the street they worked really well, fluid intially was Motul RBF 600

Switched again to EBC Blue (in the front only bc they don't offer them for the rear) and Endless fluid and even on track she holds up reasonably well. I'd still like to go a little more aggressive for the track, but both of those are more than adequate for street use IMO assuming you have performance pack with the bigger brakes at least
Yes performance pack, and also planning on using RBF600. However I'm a little gun-shy on EBC, probably sticking with Hawk for this.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

I picked up a local used TTRS set for 1100.