GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
True statement. I've lived it.
God don't get me started on Geico. 8 years ago I started at about 1300 per 6/mo for my BMW X5 and my 3 series with them. At the end about 6 months ago I was all the way up to 3800/6mo. premiums. Geico claiming stardardized policy increases and blah blah. I switched to the Hartford and with my 3 vehicles I am back down to 1600-ish, and with higher limits.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
God don't get me started on Geico. 8 years ago I started at about 1300 per 6/mo for my BMW X5 and my 3 series with them. At the end about 6 months ago I was all the way up to 3800/6mo. premiums. Geico claiming stardardized policy increases and blah blah. I switched to the Hartford and with my 3 vehicles I am back down to 1600-ish, and with higher limits.
My rate with Geico was only just over $500 for full coverage on both my cars for many years. Pretty good! Then it jumped up $200 last year for no reason. We’ll see how this goes, today will be the first day the adjuster discovers I’m not push over.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
And after a year it will be back up...like a teezer rate...there's no free lunch. Insurance discussion w/r to pricing online are no-value. So many factors, different states, your credit score, etc. etc. With that said...

I'm with USAA and my insurance has skyrocketed like everyone else's in a general insurance rate increase across all markets over the last few years. I remember my wife and I paying about a grand a year for full coverage on 2 vehicles in VA with $500 deductibles....in our 40s...good credit and no tickets/accidents etc. Flash forward a few years now ~50, 2 drivers under 26, 6 vehicles...home life etc. all through USAA and I'm paying $7K a year. I do have a recent "bad" ticket...first one in 20 years? which impacts it as well but actually only by a few '00....good to be older w/r to this. Have dropped collision on 4/6 cars and raised deductibles to a grand. I've gotten quotes from other insurance companies and yeah they are WAY less but they'll jump once the renewal hits plus USAA has always been v. easy to deal with over the years so as much as it pains me I'm sticking with them. It's just expensive for everyone now. I have spoken to them several time with my concerns and have gotten some good honest answers related to inflation and "needing to charge appropriate premiums to cover the claims" which is of course how insurance works/they make money. So thank all the folks that think their auto insurance policies are for door dings and all the other little crap I read about folks claiming every day on FB...it's supposed to be for major high-cost stuff. Thanks poors!

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
And after a year it will be back up...like a teezer rate...there's no free lunch. Insurance discussion w/r to pricing online are no-value. So many factors, different states, your credit score, etc. etc. With that said...

I'm with USAA and my insurance has skyrocketed like everyone else's in a general insurance rate increase across all markets over the last few years. I remember my wife and I paying about a grand a year for full coverage on 2 vehicles in VA with $500 deductibles....in our 40s...good credit and no tickets/accidents etc. Flash forward a few years now ~50, 2 drivers under 26, 6 vehicles...home life etc. all through USAA and I'm paying $7K a year. I do have a recent "bad" ticket...first one in 20 years? which impacts it as well but actually only by a few '00. Have dropped collision on 4/6 cars and raised deductibles to a grand. I've gotten quotes from other insurance companies and yeah they are WAY less but they'll jump once the renewal hits plus USAA has always been v. easy to deal with over the years so as much as it pains me I'm sticking with them. It's just expensive for everyone now. I have spoken to them several time with my.
concerns and have gotten some good honest answers related to inflation and "needing to charge appropriate premiums to cover the claims which is of course how insurance works/they make money. So thank all the folks that think their auto insurance policies are for door dings and all the other little crap I read about folks claiming every day on FB...it's supposed to be for major high-cost stuff. Thanks poors!
was with USAA for 25+ years and then decided to shop around.....I never realized how much I was paying. Switch over to Nationwide this year to see how they do. With 3 cars, $100 deductible and home umbrella policy I pay about $385/mo

tigeo

Autocross Champion
was with USAA for 25+ years and then decided to shop around.....I never realized how much I was paying. Switch over to Nationwide this year to see how they do. With 3 cars, $100 deductible and home umbrella policy I pay about $385/mo
I think the issue will be it won't stay that way so you end up having to do like we all used to do with cable, cell phones, etc....just an annual jump to the newest teezer rate. I'm skeptical I guess that in a super competitive market, folks can be that much less and maintain it and also, many of these other companies will drop you like a bad habit the first ticket, accident, etc. Progressive was much less but I had to pay it all at once for the year and switch over my home owners. I guess i'm stuck in the rut of convenience and perception that USAA has v. good service. I've been with them for 25 years myself and my dad probalby since he joined the Navy in the late 50s. I keep telling myself to switch but haven't had the guts haaha

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think the issue will be it won't stay that way so you end up having to do like we all used to do with cable, cell phones, etc....just an annual jump to the newest teezer rate. I'm skeptical I guess that in a super competitive market, folks can be that much less and maintain it and also, many of these other companies will drop you like a bad habit the first ticket, accident, etc. Progressive was much less but I had to pay it all at once for the year and switch over my home owners. I guess i'm stuck in the rut of convenience and perception that USAA has v. good service. I've been with them for 25 years myself and my dad probalby since he joined the Navy in the late 50s. I keep telling myself to switch but haven't had the guts haaha
USAA is superb service. wife had horrible accident and USAA was amazing with it. Whereas my dad, been with usaa 35+ years, has one ticket and they tried to boot him......really weird and he ended up talking with a manager and they reversed it.

I can't speak to Nationwide on how they will handle something yet, but like you said, if they pull the "your first year is over and this is what it really is" maneuver, I'll head back to USAA.....it's just SUCH a pain to do the switchover.....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
USAA is superb service. wife had horrible accident and USAA was amazing with it. Whereas my dad, been with usaa 35+ years, has one ticket and they tried to boot him......really weird and he ended up talking with a manager and they reversed it.

I can't speak to Nationwide on how they will handle something yet, but like you said, if they pull the "your first year is over and this is what it really is" maneuver, I'll head back to USAA.....it's just SUCH a pain to do the switchover.....
That's the part that I am not a fan of...the PITA. One ticket thing with your dad is strange but could depend on which state he is/was in. I had a baddie and just a few '00 more per 6 mos was all it did. Insurance has gotten weird over the last few years for sure.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
In 2018 my younger brother's car was sitting at an AirBnB when a rotten branch fell and hit his 2015 Ford Fusion denting the C-pillar. (3" long dent) Insurance totaled it to our disbelief then, but the C pillar is a very important structural component so he went with it. I told him to go after the Airfbnb owners, to at least cover his deductible. He is a very non-confrontational type so he just spent his own money and paid Progressive. Oh Progressive....I had to get on the phone with my little non-confrontational brother and give the adjuster a wake up call. Two weeks into looking for a new car, the adjuster told him he had to take the rental in and the adjuster HAD NOT SENT MY BROTHER A CHECK for his totaled car yet! Got on the phone and asked the adjuster how my brother is supposed to buy a car without money from them lmao. The guy tried to play dumb and I let him have it. Brother got a check two days later and another two weeks of rental.

Here is a photo of the subframe damage in question:

2024-01-06 09.21.00.jpg

Taken the night of the F-up:

View attachment 2023-11-22 09.43.12.jpg

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Confession and a question. My 2018 R has been stage 2 for almost 80K miles WITHOUT a Tcu tune. I'm now at 103K miles. Do I even bother at this point? 🤷🏻

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Confession and a question. My 2018 R has been stage 2 for almost 80K miles WITHOUT a Tcu tune. I'm now at 103K miles. Do I even bother at this point? 🤷🏻
If you were stage 2.134 repeating I would.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Depends. Want better shifting and another mod? Then yes!

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yes