GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Shop auto insurance every 12 - 24 months. Best thing you can do.

penrod

Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 GolfR
Confession:
2015 MK7 GTI - I put off timing chain check/ replacement/ tensioner adjustment to 245K miles and now nobody wants to touch it. not worth the expense at this point. Car value is probably the same as the cost of the work.
Water pump failed at 245K which prompted this. (1st waterpump replacement). gonna drive it til it dies.
New daily driver 2022 Golf R 6psd (keeping track of maintenance schedule on this one)

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Confession:
2015 MK7 GTI - I put off timing chain check/ replacement/ tensioner adjustment to 245K miles and now nobody wants to touch it. not worth the expense at this point. Car value is probably the same as the cost of the work.
Water pump failed at 245K which prompted this. (1st waterpump replacement). gonna drive it til it dies.
New daily driver 2022 Golf R 6psd (keeping track of maintenance schedule on this one)
I can't think of a reason you'd have difficulty getting someone to do the replacement side of things, unless there's something I'm missing.

penrod

Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 GolfR
I can't think of a reason you'd have difficulty getting someone to do the replacement side of things, unless there's something I'm missing.
I haven't even asked the dealer, but the independents are a little worried that something else will go wrong either in the process or upon completion that could essentially end the usefulness of the car. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do it myself. The cost/ benefit analysis doesn't line up for me anyway. It's basically my Mother-in-law's car to drive twice a week to church now.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had my timing tensioner replaced along with the chains and the whole nine yards..it's a big job and spendy but any competent shop should be able and willing to take your money. Does it even need it?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Shop auto insurance every 12 - 24 months. Best thing you can do.
Weirdly the quotes I get are usually higher than my current provider Geico. So I stopped looking, I also got tired of them calling me tens times after a quote.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I just tried USAA and AAA, both errored out on the website and wanted me to call. Me, a millennial, calling someone for insurance? No way, this is why I have Progressive.
Hahahahah

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I just tried USAA and AAA, both errored out on the website and wanted me to call. Me, a millennial, calling someone for insurance? No way, this is why I have Progressive.
lol I’ll be calling USAA this week…. Sounds fun

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I think it's because I'm not qualified in michigan without being ex-military myself. I've heard that they just use progressive as their underwriters here anyway, so not sure it'd be much different.
Gotcha

tigeo

Autocross Champion
One thing about USAA w/r to calling...for the most part a good experience/easy to deal with. But yeah, I know the kids are uncomfortable with that type of comms ahahaha

tigeo

Autocross Champion
me and my nearly 40 year-old youngin' friends just ain't strong enough for it
I see with my older 2 who are 19/21. They won't just call to order etc, online/app or "sorry will just go somewhere else".