GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maestro DIY Tuning Help

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Calling @Hoon and @Diggs24
I hacked apart my tune and was able to activate MPI on the 1.8t. Now that it's working can you guys provide some calibration pointers?

925cc mpi, dbv2 V1, pr450 LPFP

Keep in mind I have the stock 1.8 hpfp and injectors so I think I need to lean more on the mpi than you guys do.

https://datazap.me/u/joedubs/18tsidbv2v1006mpiv10?log=0&data=1-9-10-16-17&zoom=84-164

What is your MPI injector constant? Also, turning on too soon. Raise the activation TQ, it's missing target lambda at low RPM/airflow.

Try 200nm for the activation point and see how that looks.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
MPI constant is .11 - I got it from the BT file
Min torque for MPI I have set to 100 - the factory file comes on at 90, and I had it coming on early to make it easier to test. I'll up it.

Lambda controller output - it increases in 2nd gear, and then drops again during 3rd. Is that a correction?

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
-Need more pump speed. You only have about 1 bar of pressure left already.
-wastegate needs dialed back, it's way overshooting target.
-lambda controller looks great for now. Try and keep it within +/-20.
-timing needs some work on the top end (less) and bottom end (more).

Not sure what I need to do to get more pump speed - table attached. What are the axes (should I crank up everything from 60-70 by a few percent?)
Wastegate table is going to cause issues - the tune uses the is12 turbo models so the flow factors are going to be screwed. I'm working on it.
Good input on the lambda controller - staying within 20 works for me
Timing I haven't touched (and didn't really plan to until I got the fueling sorted out). When you say less up top, should I just pull out ~5% from the right 3/4 columns of both maps? I don't need to bother adding anything anywhere.

lpfp speed.PNG

Hoon

Autocross Champion
-Need more pump speed. You only have about 1 bar of pressure left already.
-wastegate needs dialed back, it's way overshooting target.
-lambda controller looks great for now. Try and keep it within +/-20.
-timing needs some work on the top end (less) and bottom end (more).

Thanks Diggs, I noticed the abysmal fuel pressure when I was looking at the log and then completely spaced it out when I wrote my post a little while later.

He can try commanding more fuel pump duty and see where that goes, but I think an LPFP will need to happen sooner rather than later.

Does the 1.8 have a different LPFP than the 2.0? I know the HPFP is different.

This thing isn't even moving any air yet and it's out of fuel.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Does the 1.8 have a different LPFP than the 2.0? I know the HPFP is different.

This thing isn't even moving any air yet and it's out of fuel.

I have a PR450 LPFP installed.
The factory 1.8t hpfp and injectors are small.

I havent compared to the gti/R files, but my airflow tables are probably scaled wrong since the stock file had an is12. I might not be flowing tons of air, but 20lbs on a v1 is still more than the ecu ever expects to see.

At some point I'm going to pull all the modeled turbo tables (hidden in maestro) from an R into the tune so they're at least closer to the hybrid than what's there now.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have a PR450 LPFP installed.
The factory 1.8t hpfp and injectors are small.

I havent compared to the gti/R files, but my airflow tables are probably scaled wrong since the stock file had an is12. I might not be flowing tons of air, but 20lbs on a v1 is still more than the ecu ever expects to see.

At some point I'm going to pull all the modeled turbo tables (hidden in maestro) from an R into the tune so they're at least closer to the hybrid than what's there now.

Get your LPFP running around 83% through the pull and see what the pressures look like. Should be much higher than it is.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
You're going to do what and how?

You might have heard of a software called 'winols' - it's tuning software that gives you full binary access to the entire file, using factory definitions.
Where Eurodyne gives us access to change 50-100 maps (I've never counted), winols gives you access to all of them. It's a paid for software, but it exposes the addresses and scales of every map in the ecu. And there's a lot. With those addresses you can build definitions that let you edit those maps in something like TunerPro. Or directly in a hex editor (like I ended up doing for the MPI activation)

What that means is once you have the ability to pull the raw binary file, you have the ability to modify anything in that file.

Our ecu's like I'm sure you're aware, use modeled turbo RPM tables to figure out how fast the turbo is spinning and how much air its flowing. It's just one of the many things that limits our ability to tune the thing. In addition, our ECU's use different combustion modes given certain circumstances. Those combustion modes dictate how the system operates. We always think of "enabling MPI", but there's more than just one "MPI" combustion mode (and it comes down to the number of injection pulses and when they happen, coupled other things).

Screenshot below.... but there's lots of things we can't do with maestro. Look at the map count. Like @aaronc7 said... if you want to geek out join the slack.
Lots of maps.PNG