Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

tigeo

Autocross Champion
thanks guys
what are the advantages of ngk ruthenium spark plugs compared to origins? better performance? cooling?
They are stock heat range but have a special tip design....probably zero advantage over stock but I run them anyway!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It’s cool to say “I run ruths” and have other people not know what you’re talking about.
Agreed. Good when you are hard park at "da meats" and tell your stance friends about it.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I've been running Rutheniums for a few years now. Back when I had a stage 2 2015 they were the only plugs the car seemed to like. Now I run them in my 2019 because they are easy to find and I have no reason to change.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I switched to Ruth's about 2 months ago, picked up about 1.4 mpg on average. Over the course of monitoring 4 fill-ups, as compared to what I got with OEM plugs.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just got a fresh set and all four were at .030 out of the box. I brought them down to .024-.025.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Some good info on plugs, gap, projected/non-projected:

Agray

Go Kart Champion
For the hell of it, I pulled my plugs at 2,000 miles and was not expecting them to be straight-up black at the top of the threads. Is that normal?
IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG