GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Almost definitely. The "RS7" plugs are also stock on the RS3, you don't hear about people blowing those up due to plug straps falling off.
Bro...0.02434566 repeating gap or you'll get knock....keep opening and regapping them bro (rips vape...adjusts flat-brimmed hat). Bro.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Bro...0.02434566 repeating gap or you'll get knock....keep opening and regapping them bro (rips vape...adjusts flat-brimmed hat). Bro.
I've noticed an increase in torque when using a 0.0243 gap vs .024 gap. That extra spacing allows for the optimal flame kernel for the dish size of our pistons. Turbo also runs cooler with 0.0243 gap, which lowers the charge air temp for denser cylinder fill. This is for pump gas btw. I use 0.0229 plug gap when I have E40 or above in the tank. Ethanol burns faster so less gap is needed to create the optimal flame kernel.

I'll bet there is 20 or 30 lb of torque to be gained when using the right plug gap.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've noticed an increase in torque when using a 0.0243 gap vs .024 gap. That extra spacing allows for the optimal flame kernel for the dish size of our pistons. Turbo also runs cooler with 0.0243 gap, which lowers the charge air temp for denser cylinder fill. This is for pump gas btw. I use 0.0229 plug gap when I have E40 or above in the tank. Ethanol burns faster so less gap is needed to create the optimal flame kernel.

I'll bet there is 20 or 30 lb of torque to be gained when using the right plug gap.
But let's get to the real shit here.....coil packs and grounding kit....which ones for 40 rolllllzzzzzz

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
But let's get to the real shit here.....coil packs and grounding kit....which ones for 40 rolllllzzzzzz
Both are important for 40 rolls.. But hub bearing clearance makes even more of a difference in that scenario. You want the least amount of friction as possible for roll racing. You'll get more power, with less boost when your hub bearings are properly gapped.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Both are important for 40 rolls.. But hub bearing clearance makes even more of a difference in that scenario. You want the least amount of friction as possible for roll racing. You'll get more power, with less boost when your hub bearings are properly gapped.
So basically employ my winning Pinewood Derby technology here....graphite powder and optimal gap!

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
So what is the proper hub bearing gap? Is it measured in car or bus lengths? Can it only be measured at Gaplbees?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So what is the proper hub bearing gap? Is it measured in car or bus lengths? Can it only be measured at Gaplbees?

Talk to your tuner for the proper hub bearing gap for your car. It varies based on altitude and type of coolant you run. When your plugs and hub bearing are properly tune, you'll def be winning by bus lengths.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Herding the cats back into the subject, I run the Ruthenium NGK plugs on my Golf R EQT stage 2 and E30 tuned. Just pulled them again because of all the crazy spark plug talk, still look beautiful

Attachments

• IMG_6185.jpeg
    IMG_6185.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Herding the cats back into the subject, I run the Ruthenium NGK plugs on my Golf R EQT stage 2 and E30 tuned. Just pulled them again because of all the crazy spark plug talk, still look beautiful
Thank you for that. They look quite healthy.

1) How many miles on them in this pic?

2) Do you remember the 4-digit NGK part number you bought?

3) And did these come pre-gapped in the .024” range?

(Asking for a friend) 😉

tigeo

Autocross Champion

1) How many miles on them in this pic?

2) Do you remember the 4-digit NGK part number you bought?

3) And did these come pre-gapped in the .024” range?

(Asking for a friend) 😉
Ruth's come stock 0.028 to 0.030 for the couple of sets I have had. I run them as they come.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion

1) How many miles on them in this pic? About 25,000 miles, 2.5 years ago, Golf R is my 2nd car.

2) Do you remember the 4-digit NGK part number you bought? LFER7BHX Stock # 95125

3) And did these come pre-gapped in the .024” range? I had to gap them myself, as others have said, they were pre-gapped @ .032

(Asking for a friend) 😉