GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keeping exhaust tips shiny?

rnam488

Ready to race!
I'm pretty meticulous about regular cleaning so my tips hardly get too dirty. I lightly use grade #0000 steel wool and it does the trick every time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I keep a small old towel in my garage, squirt WD-40 on it and clean the tips, every time I park in my garage. They look like new. I may wax once a year.

I think I tried WD-40 once because it works so well for chewing gum and bugs on the paint. But I feel regular Windex works better if you're going to use it every day or so and it doesn't leave an oily film. It's cheaper and you don't need to wash it off your hands. You might want to try it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Eagle One Never Dull cleans them right up.
I've been using it since 2011 when I had my MK6.
Just a pinch of the wadding cloth, give them a wipe and finish them off with a paper towel, micro fiber towel etc.
One can will last you for years.

ElmoProjector

Ready to race!
I was using Bar Keeper's Friend and then I read somewhere that it may damage the chrome with long term use. I have used the windex/aluminium foil to great success though. I'll have to try the WD-40 method and Blue Magic though...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think I tried WD-40 once because it works so well for chewing gum and bugs on the paint. But I feel regular Windex works better if you're going to use it every day or so and it doesn't leave an oily film. It's cheaper and you don't need to wash it off your hands. You might want to try it.

Could not find the original movie clip.
But you likely know the story.

https://youtu.be/JAQjemiDKbg

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
BMS black tips

I also had some black exhaust tips welded in. A couple people have asked me what type of exhaust I have on the car, one person thought it was just running really rich! Lol

I don’t have time to clean them all the time...

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Spray WD40 directly on tips before washing and wipe off with cloth at the end, worked well for Billy Boats I had on previous car.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Almost 8k miles and my exhaust tips are never dirty.... That being said they also look bigger then normal GTI's. Does anyone know if the Sport or PP cars have larger exhaust tips? I haven't measured them, but they seem larger than normal, but not quite as large as the CSS muffler. Could totally be that I'm crazy. Maybe I'll run out and measure OD and ID and let yall know.

Edit: OD is 3" and ID is 2.5"ish so I think same as stock? They just look larger for some reason.

Last edited:

Steven31327

Passed Driver's Ed
Almost 8k miles and my exhaust tips are never dirty.... That being said they also look bigger then normal GTI's. Does anyone know if the Sport or PP cars have larger exhaust tips? I haven't measured them, but they seem larger than normal, but not quite as large as the CSS muffler. Could totally be that I'm crazy. Maybe I'll run out and measure OD and ID and let yall know.

Edit: OD is 3" and ID is 2.5"ish so I think same as stock? They just look larger for some reason.
Pretty sure they are all the same yeah, what kind of roads do you drive on? In the UK our roads get so much abuse, so I imagine the dirt allows more carbon to settle on it?

Are your exhausts on your cleaning list or are they untouched?