GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keeping exhaust tips shiny?

alderran1

Ready to race!
Does a 2015 have chrome exhaust tips? If so amazing my Infiniti you could still see chrome after 9 years no special cleaning. How does this car pass inspection? I wonder if vw figured a way to cheat with the gas engines too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Does a 2015 have chrome exhaust tips? If so amazing my Infiniti you could still see chrome after 9 years no special cleaning. How does this car pass inspection? I wonder if vw figured a way to cheat with the gas engines too

Direct injection gas engines all seem to have carbon deposits in one way or another on the exhaust tips.

Diesel engines have MUCH more emissions equipment than the gas powered counterparts. A good example of this is the DPF diesel particulate filter) filters soot from the exhaust on diesel engines both small and large.

That was part of the reason why I traded my mk6 TDI in for a GTI. Didn't want to deal with the emissions system crap along with the hpfp that if it goes takes out the entire fuel system.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I clean the bastards every other day, with original Windex and a paper towel. You can't let the carbon build up, or you'll need to abrade it off.

alderran1

Ready to race!
This is good info I was going to buy chrome tips because it looks like shit. Guess I will try cleaning them. Not this week though it’s going to be -11 so I think they can stay dirty till the temp hits thirty

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Strangely paper towel and water gets the carbon off. I heard denatured Alcohol is good to clean and wipe off metal with. I imagine it needs occasional polish or it will begin to corrode.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I clean the bastards every other day, with original Windex and a paper towel. You can't let the carbon build up, or you'll need to abrade it off.
You don't have to scrub the carbon off...

Here's some pictures of roughly 7 months of never washing the tips. Then when I sold it I used blue magic with a microfiber cloth.

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_144021_HDR-02.jpeg
    IMG_20170513_144021_HDR-02.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_20170513_144033_HDR-02.jpeg
    IMG_20170513_144033_HDR-02.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 458
  • SAVE_20170520_220149-01.jpeg
    SAVE_20170520_220149-01.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_20170521_190743-01.jpeg
    IMG_20170521_190743-01.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_20170521_190713-01.jpeg
    IMG_20170521_190713-01.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 453

Navi

Autocross Champion
yeah that stuff works well or when I'm in a pinch I'll use a light finishing polish. Even a clay bar will get that shit off. Key is to fully remove all the build up and then put a good high temp sealant on it. I personally use Swissvax autobahn wheel wax or kamikaze stance wheel sealant. Any good sealant will work though as long as you wash once every 1-2 weeks.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
yeah that stuff works well or when I'm in a pinch I'll use a light finishing polish. Even a clay bar will get that shit off. Key is to fully remove all the build up and then put a good high temp sealant on it. I personally use Swissvax autobahn wheel wax or kamikaze stance wheel sealant. Any good sealant will work though as long as you wash once every 1-2 weeks.
I'm pretty sure that blue magic has Teflon or some other type of sealant in it. It certainly has it on the label that it "protects".

Steven31327

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys, noticed my exhaust pipes seem to collect a lot of carbon type marks on the bottom. They soon tidy up with a bit of wire wool but just wondering if anyone has any products they use to keep them shiny?

E.g. :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi LJT94

I use this stuff

https://tinyurl.com/y7f4voyl (Links to Halfords, their URL was very long!)

Pretty simple, first I use a soft paintbrush to loosen any bits of carbon, then give it a quick wipe with a wet cloth.

Then apply the autosol liberally around the tip and the sides of the exhaust.

Then just give it a really hard polish with an old rag. Repeat this again if it doesnt all come off, some bits of carbon may need some persuading....

Once you have done this, dab a small amount of the autosol onto a micro fibre cloth and polish around the exhaust.

This method has never left scratches and I've had compliments on how clean they are!

This short video is also very similar to what I do (although I dont like the idea of the wire brush)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JMUFZVCLGs

LJT94

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI PP
Thanks guys, will look into this lot and have a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mk6-k

Ready to race!
I keep a small old towel in my garage, squirt WD-40 on it and clean the tips, every time I park in my garage. They look like new. I may wax once a year.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
just clean them once a week, and you'll never allow the build up to bake itself on. My prev gti with 30k, had its tips looking new, just from regular cleaning. if you're past that, then as others have mentioned. metal polish, then clean once a week.

hal

Ready to race!
I just wrapped a few layers of aluminum foil on a sponge and used that to clean all the carbon buildup. Didn't scratch the tips and worked surprisingly well.