GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
bought a jb4 second hand. Worked fine for few week and then died. Car wouldn’t start with all kinds of warning lights and jb4 wouldn’t connect with data cable. Took the jb4 off and car works fine. Any ideas what it could be?
Did you check all connections before you took it off? Board might have died also.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

6MT_RAGRETS

Car(s)
2019 GTI
My car has been a little hit or miss on map 3. Maps 1 & 2 on 93 octane have been pretty consistent and have both shown reasonably good logs and have proven to be reliable maps. Same with my conservative map 6 clutch saver settings, also on 93. Map 3 on the same octane has been a little harder to “tame”. Sometimes the car would run good on map 3 and it felt strong and logged okay, other times not so much and I would get timing corrections, always in cylinder 3, and only in map 3. So, the weather in my part of the world has been getting warmer and the E85 pumps have started to test higher and I decided to get an analyzer and start off small and blend to E20 and run some logs. In doing so I gave map 3 another try and ended up with this.

https://datazap.me/u/6mt-ragrets/map-3-e20

https://datazap.me/u/6mt-ragrets/map-3-e20-0

This is the earliest I have seen timing come on and the highest I have seen it peak in any of my logs so far and I stopped at 6000 RPM so I’m sure it had a bit more to climb. This is really much more of a difference than I expected to see/feel on E20 and the car runs really great on the blend. FOL is at 50 now and I would like to step up to E30 and log map 5 soon and begin work on map 6 E30 settings. Based on how my trims look in these logs, does anyone have suggestions on what FOL I should run when I move to E30? Should I leave it at 50 and log and then adjust if needed or should I just go straight to 55 or 60? Thanks. God bless ethanol!

figlin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
What are the settings for map one? I'd like to make a map 6 that is half the power of map 1 to use during the summer here in California. I'm only on 91 octane so I don't think I can run map 1 fully in 80°+ weather.

6MT_RAGRETS

Car(s)
2019 GTI
What are the settings for map one? I'd like to make a map 6 that is half the power of map 1 to use during the summer here in California. I'm only on 91 octane so I don't think I can run map 1 fully in 80°+ weather.
Map 1 is +4 psi additive across the board. You’d be better off finding an E85 pump than you would be if you changed your map 6 settings to +2 across the board. If you don’t have access to E85, switch to map 0 until cooler weather or until you find better fuel.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
You can run Map 1 just fine. Last summer when it got to 90+ is when I switched to Map 1. It helps a whole lot if you have an aftermarket intercooler. I run Map 2 pretty much all the time.

figlin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Map 1 is +4 psi additive across the board. You’d be better off finding an E85 pump than you would be if you changed your map 6 settings to +2 across the board. If you don’t have access to E85, switch to map 0 until cooler weather or until you find better fuel.
It is +4 across all rpms? It's not variable at all?

6MT_RAGRETS

Car(s)
2019 GTI
It is +4 across all rpms? It's not variable at all?
If you look at a CSV file of map 1, or a datazap or JB4 graph even, it seems that map 1 is pretty much +4 through all rpms. It may taper slightly somewhere around or above 6000 but not much.

Chogokin is absolutely right though. You should be fine on map 1 in the summer even on 91. If your logs don’t look good or the car struggles, it will probably be due to ambient temps/octane being used. You would benefit from either an intercooler upgrade or better fuel at that point. Or both.