GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 - Any Regrets or Unresolved Issues?

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I would do it again and again and again and again and again.....even that it took me 2 days!!!

I thought 6 hours was long for me lol. Dang two days.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the thread OP. I am thinking about upgrading as well. I like the fact of lower torque down low RPM. I think its a better daily driver :)

now the biggest question is where to find the is38 turbo for the best price?

I found some old post talking about it being available from Germany for about $800 new but could not find anything like that. Anyone know?

Thanks

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the thread OP. I am thinking about upgrading as well. I like the fact of lower torque down low RPM. I think its a better daily driver :)

I found some old post talking about it being available from Germany for about $800 new but could not find anything like that. Anyone know?

Thanks

ive heard ebay and what not sometimes you can get a used one off here...i went to AP tuning in Lebanon Pa and they whacked me 1200 for the turbo

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Thanks

Used seems to be $800-900 and I've found them new for $1,200

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You bastards...

haha

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
ive heard ebay and what not sometimes you can get a used one off here...i went to AP tuning in Lebanon Pa and they whacked me 1200 for the turbo

I got my IS38 for $600 brand new on a no reserve open bid auction on eBay :D

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

NICE. I almost got one for $250 but it was the Audi version I guess and wouldn't work. I would have skipped IS20 for a 38 for that price

teemmy

Ready to race!
So you'd have to purchase the turbo itself + install if you don't do it on your own. Also getting a proper tune will cost money and like someone else mentioned, you'll need a clutch if you're MT. You're easily looking at $800-900 for turbo and $600-700 for a proper tune. Not to mention the clutch if you're a manual + labor costs.

The turbo lag isn't bad - I hit peak torque around 3100 rpms - but it's not like the is20 which kicked in lower.

The top end power is night and day difference - you'll be giggling after your first pull in the IS38. I'm still amazed every time I floor it.

I went with a CTS FMIC and my oil temps have gone up to 235 instead of the normal 225 ish in normal driving conditions - I do wonder if a direct replacement would have kept the temps down to 225. I guess I'll find out when I switch over to a direct IC. In terms of the track, I've hit 270F when I was stage 2 but I only had golf R IC at the time, so I'm curious what a larger proper IC will do.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Wow, that is a phenomenal find. I just picked up a slightly used one for $850 shipped. At least its the newest revision T off a 2017 golf R but would take your deal all day long.

Ok, to all the IS38 guys:

1) Would you spend the coin to get it balanced (or more?) considering its the latest revision? It does have I think 8K miles on it, 4K miles were stage 2. Anything else you would do? I plan to get a protune and keep the car for a while so I want to reduce the possibility of it going early on me. My goal is a reliable 350whp, don't need much more than that.

2) Do I need the IS38 hardware kit ECS sells for the install?

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Wow, that is a phenomenal find. I just picked up a slightly used one for $850 shipped. At least its the newest revision T off a 2017 golf R but would take your deal all day long.

Ok, to all the IS38 guys:

1) Would you spend the coin to get it balanced (or more?) considering its the latest revision? It does have I think 8K miles on it, 4K miles were stage 2. Anything else you would do? I plan to get a protune and keep the car for a while so I want to reduce the possibility of it going early on me. My goal is a reliable 350whp, don't need much more than that.

2) Do I need the IS38 hardware kit ECS sells for the install?

I think mine is the A revision i can't remember... 25,000 raped miles with 22-28 psi of boost and it's holding up great. Been thinking about sending it to convert it to a hybrid, but well see. I personally think the revisions are all bullshit and its just a manufacture batch. These turbos are garbage and we all know it, but the IS38 does have a bit more balls to survive a beating vs the is20. Just by looking at the casting where the turbine spins it doesn't look smooth at all and it's pretty embarrassing considering that it's "made in Germany" and i have nothing more bad to say... other then that it's a fun bolt-on and worth it if you can do it yourself. The first pull is amazing when you feel it making power at 6000 rpm lol especially in third gear when you have traction.