GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 - Any Regrets or Unresolved Issues?

monkibouy

Passed Driver's Ed
Just went IS38 a couple weeks ago so how the IS20 felt in comparison is still fresh in my mind.

1. Was it worth it, or do you wish you'd stayed with the IS20?

IS38 all the way, makes me wish that VW sold an equivalent of the Clubsport over here so I could've gotten it straight from the factory.

2. If you track your car at a road course type of track, are your oil or water temps higher, or can your car still manage them o.k.?

I haven't tracked my car but I haven't seen any difference in oil/coolant temps at all, even with 110+ temps in PHX.

3. Is the exhaust note different? IF yes, please describe the difference you hear.

Not to my ears but I already installed a Vibrant 17930 to deal with the drone that came up when I went stg2.

4. Do you have drone where you didn't before?

Negative Ghost Rider.

5. Is throttle modulation around town or on the track any easier? (IS20 can be peaky).

Way easier. 2nd gear is more usable now than it was when I was IS20 + down pipe. Lag isn't really an issue as you're only a downshift (or two) away from the meat of the power band...once you're 4K+ it's time to hold on. Passing at highway speeds will make you giggle like a schoolgirl. It may be mostly tune related (and seem somewhat of a misnomer) but the "off the line" responsiveness is better than on IS20 even though less boost is present.

6. Other observations, warnings, or advice?

I sourced my IS38 from the UK ($600) and sent it to Littco to install his beefier bearing and balance the CHRA (~$600 after exchange rate if I remember right). If you can source an IS38 from Europe for cheap I'd recommend budgeting in the bearing upgrade for peace of mind as well as getting new gaskets/seals/etc. since you don't want to do this more than once. I would also recommend a TCU tune to keep the miserly logic of the stock DSG tune from ruining your fun and for the additional clamping force you'll need.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Just went IS38 a couple weeks ago so how the IS20 felt in comparison is still fresh in my mind.

1. Was it worth it, or do you wish you'd stayed with the IS20?

IS38 all the way, makes me wish that VW sold an equivalent of the Clubsport over here so I could've gotten it straight from the factory.

2. If you track your car at a road course type of track, are your oil or water temps higher, or can your car still manage them o.k.?

I haven't tracked my car but I haven't seen any difference in oil/coolant temps at all, even with 110+ temps in PHX.

3. Is the exhaust note different? IF yes, please describe the difference you hear.

Not to my ears but I already installed a Vibrant 17930 to deal with the drone that came up when I went stg2.

4. Do you have drone where you didn't before?

Negative Ghost Rider.

5. Is throttle modulation around town or on the track any easier? (IS20 can be peaky).

Way easier. 2nd gear is more usable now than it was when I was IS20 + down pipe. Lag isn't really an issue as you're only a downshift (or two) away from the meat of the power band...once you're 4K+ it's time to hold on. Passing at highway speeds will make you giggle like a schoolgirl. It may be mostly tune related (and seem somewhat of a misnomer) but the "off the line" responsiveness is better than on IS20 even though less boost is present.

6. Other observations, warnings, or advice?

I sourced my IS38 from the UK ($600) and sent it to Littco to install his beefier bearing and balance the CHRA (~$600 after exchange rate if I remember right). If you can source an IS38 from Europe for cheap I'd recommend budgeting in the bearing upgrade for peace of mind as well as getting new gaskets/seals/etc. since you don't want to do this more than once. I would also recommend a TCU tune to keep the miserly logic of the stock DSG tune from ruining your fun and for the additional clamping force you'll need.

Thanks monki! Good info.

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
:D

Attachments

• 15060537127030.jpg
    15060537127030.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 993

ACE2

Ready to race!
There's another thread by wolf basically saying the is38 is basically setup for failure due to "oil starvation" has anyone ran into this problem? I have a i38 waiting to be installed but after reading all that stuff it makes me scared...anyone agree with his info and or heard of such a problem?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
The number of golf r's on the road would contradict this. I don't have proof but I sure see a lot of them running around.

If it was truly a widespread issue I think we'd hear about it way more

Ya but how many of those Rs on the road are running stock without a tune? Add 50+hp with a tune and I'm sure more of them would be having problems. I bet most blown IS38s are on tuned Rs/GTIs. Not the tune's fault but I'm sure it helps point out the weaknesses. Doesn't mean a majority are blowing, even on tuned cars, but there are enough documented cases to show that it is not some tiny fluke on a handful of cars.

Considering that any GTI guy doing the IS38 upgrade is gonna tune for it, even something more conservative than APR's IS38 file will pump out at least an extra 50hp at the crank over a stock golf r. Given all the reports of failures, its a valid concern for those of us investing in a swap.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
There's another thread by wolf basically saying the is38 is basically setup for failure due to "oil starvation" has anyone ran into this problem? I have a i38 waiting to be installed but after reading all that stuff it makes me scared...anyone agree with his info and or heard of such a problem?

I'm intrigued by the BMP IS38+ upcoming offering from WOLF's posts in the turbo failure thread:
https://www.bmptuning.com/collections/all-products/products/is38-turbo-kit-mqb?variant=45540746958

Oil starvation issues appear to be addressed. Improved turbine and compressor wheels. Improved balancing from G-Pop Shop. Ceramic coating on the turbine housing area. Looking forward to finding out if the end-result is worth the cost. I wonder if there's a bit less lag with the changes to the turbine and compressor wheels.

I've not read much about stock IS38 failures. It's when we ask more of the unit that it comes closer to its failure points.

ACE2

Ready to race!
I'm intrigued by the BMP IS38+ upcoming offering from WOLF's posts in the turbo failure thread:
https://www.bmptuning.com/collections/all-products/products/is38-turbo-kit-mqb?variant=45540746958

Oil starvation issues appear to be addressed. Improved turbine and compressor wheels. Improved balancing from G-Pop Shop. Ceramic coating on the turbine housing area. Looking forward to finding out if the end-result is worth the cost. I wonder if there's a bit less lag with the changes to the turbine and compressor wheels.

I've not read much about stock IS38 failures. It's when we ask more of the unit that it comes closer to its failure points.
Yea for sure it's interesting! But I want to know if there's any way I can get mine bored? And where? Before i installed mine in the near future. Is really hate to have spent all that money on this turbo and had it rebalanced and turbine clipped, for it to blow on me and risking my cars engine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!

Can you post Wolf's post (link) where he talks about the IS38 failures please? I know i saw it before, but can't find it now for some reason.