GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Wagner is tube and fin.... the only other one I'm aware of is one of the ebay direct fit ones is tube/fin as well. The more popular option that's talked about most is bar/plate though. I've only really seen one other example of an aftermarket IC that was tube and fin and it was to save weight and not block as much flow to the radiator to not hurt cooling for track performance....or at least that's what they said.

edit: and I just checked said product...and it looks like they have now moved to a Bar and plate intercooler. The part in question was intercooler for Focus ST made my Mountune.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wagner is tube and fin.... the only other one I'm aware of is one of the ebay direct fit ones is tube/fin as well. The more popular option that's talked about most is bar/plate though. I've only really seen one other example of an aftermarket IC that was tube and fin and it was to save weight and not block as much flow to the radiator to not hurt cooling for track performance....or at least that's what they said.

edit: and I just checked said product...and it looks like they have now moved to a Bar and plate intercooler. The part in question was intercooler for Focus ST made my Mountune.

Almost all of the aftermarket IC's are tube and fin.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Almost all of the aftermarket IC's are tube and fin.

Uhh, you sure about that? Go to a site like ECS and look at all intercoolers...majority are bar and plate.

I'm tracking AMS, Wagner and HPA as tube and fine for this car. Bar and plate: APR, IE, CTS, VWR, neuspeed, ebay/majesty, Mishimoto, Unitronic, ECS, Forge, BMS, Revo.

And in the bigger aftermarket world I've only ever used or really seen bar and plate from other turbo 4 bangers, domestic v8s etc.

But let's not get caught up in bar/plate vs tube/fin....it's just 2 broad categories of intercooler construction, obviously both have their places and pros/cons and can be make to work pretty well for a given application.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Too expensive to try, just in case they didnt fit my setup.. but you can find just twintercooler hoses a few places.. my hoses sizes might not even match up.. (Treadstone FMIC with stock intercooler un-used in place.)

if i wanted to CUT my nice Treadstone hoses in the middle, and insert a aluminum "T", maybe i could run a hose to my oem intercooler also.. but an expensive test to ruin nice hoses and possibly gain nothing.

1579625196894.png

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Too expensive to try, just in case they didnt fit my setup.. but you can find just twintercooler hoses a few places.. my hoses sizes might not even match up.. (Treadstone FMIC with stock intercooler un-used in place.)

if i wanted to CUT my nice Treadstone hoses in the middle, and insert a aluminum "T", maybe i could run a hose to my oem intercooler also.. but an expensive test to ruin nice hoses and possibly gain nothing.

View attachment 163670

Nice find. The very seller that told me that they don't sell them separate from the FMIC is selling them separate from the FMIC.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Nice find. The very seller that told me that they don't sell them separate from the FMIC is selling them separate from the FMIC.

buy it just to spite them..lol. Then see if it fits people with your intercooler kit. If it does, it will fit mine too. Your couplers are usually in the middle, mine are at the bottom, but close enough..

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone have this kit by chance? If I could confirm the length of that IC, as well as the outlet size, I could determine if those hoses might fit my own FMIC setup, which has 2.5" outlets I believe. (Confirmed my Treadstone has 2.5" inlet/outlet, 24" core with 28" total width.) Also found this, but don't know if its Core length, or total length: 25.2″ (Majesty)

1579725481955.png

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Does anyone have this kit by chance? If I could confirm the length of that IC, as well as the outlet size, I could determine if those hoses might fit my own FMIC setup, which has 2.5" outlets I believe. (Confirmed my Treadstone has 2.5" inlet/outlet, 24" core with 28" total width.) Also found this, but don't know if its Core length, or total length: 25.2″ (Majesty)

View attachment 163775

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
thanks man! 815mm = 32" and 60mm = 2.37" close enough probably.. the majesty is 4" wider apparently, but the hoses can move a little.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

View attachment 163775

I do and I tried what you are describing. The problem is that the Majesty FMIC hoses attach at the top of the core and the Treadstone at the bottom. Trying to push the hoses down to fit kinks them which I didn't think would be great for airflow, so I didn't do this.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I do and I tried what you are describing. The problem is that the Majesty FMIC hoses attach at the top of the core and the Treadstone at the bottom. Trying to push the hoses down to fit kinks them which I didn't think would be great for airflow, so I didn't do this.

you just saved me $150.. thanks.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie

My plan was to purchase these hoses to work with the CTS FMIC, which also has the inlets on the bottom. As you note, to push down the hose ends would result in kinking of the hose.

I’m going to purchase metal boost hose connectors to allow me to cut the hose and rotate the ends . It’s obviously not ideal to have so many joints, but short of custom fabbing a metal pipe kit, this would be the easiest.

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/tur....html?osCsid=f8367d4de5eca21b00ed302894174d96