GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering Downpipe

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Being that I own one and installed it myself it is a good downpipe for the money if you’re trying to extract every last hp while maintaining a catalytic converter.

Here is the downpipe stacked against my modified golf R downpipe (removed cat. closest to the turbo. Good gains of 7/7 to the wheels in low to mid range.

Now this modified downpipe had amazing gains over the stock downpipe to begin with.

I’d imagine the 034 and AWE have similar gains as well. Only way to figure out which is the best is to test the APR one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This.

The flex pipe eliminates the concern he’s pushing being an issue.

Outside of rumors that a certain brand aftermarket turbo cracks hot side housings (their production pieces, not built by a turbo manufacturer) has been cracking is much easier to see, problem would be the casting not the design.

If you really think a 15lbs dp with a flex pipe can break or bend 0.50” <= cast iron exhaust housings id seriously doubt your engineering knowledge

Man, had to get real personal real quick there huh?

No one seriously thinks that a cast iron housing can't hold up 15lbs, but that's not the issue. Once you add in vibration you're talking about fatigue strength (cycles until failure). You can apply a stress well below the yield strength of a material and still break it will enough cycles. Doing things like putting the cat downstream of the flex pipe, directly on the chassis mount will greatly reduce the stress on the turbo flange and increase the cycle life, maybe even beyond the useful life of the car, but the point is I don't have the exact material spec and dimensions of the turbo housing nor do I know how much relative motion there is, so I can't do a finite element analysis to figure it out. Being an unknown, my personal preference is to use the block mounting bracket.

As for the third party turbo you mentioned, it's a SS housing, which interestingly enough is more brittle and prone to fatigue failures than cast iron. So it's possible it contributed, but again, just speculating.

No one is saying your DP is poorly designed or attacking you. I was just offering some thoughts and information on DP design in general. What you make is a good option for a lot of people, but it's not what everyone wants.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nothing personal on either front, I’m always quick to put out fires here where there’s no basis for the issue in the first place. Not one report of a cracked OEM turbo housing, so throwing that out as a cause for IHI turbo failures just opens up a ton of speculation and doubt (remember when everyone thought you couldn’t tune these cars or they’d all blow up? Yeah we still as a community have to explain how rare a chance that was and that was with some actual events where it happened). I’m not an engineer, don’t know if you are, but the response I wrote was based on the fact that there’s never been a case where that type of failure has ever happened even once, and from my experience in working with engineers on a daily basis in my aerospace day job it’s very unlikely that could ever be an issue on our cars

The weak point would always be the downpipe itself if there were to be a failure do to drivetrain movements

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
The weak point would always be the downpipe itself if there were to be a failure do to drivetrain movements

I agree and is the main reason why I'd want to use the brace.

In this case IE used the brace and has a flex section with generous movement. This IMO, is the way to go.

My opinion on why aftermarket brands don't use the brace is to avoid fitment issues. MAP designed theirs with the brace but once they had fitment issues removed it. My feeling is if it made no difference to the manufacturing of the DP and the brace fit correctly these companies would offer the brace.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I can’t say I agree that’s its necessary, especially since there’s thousands of aftermarket downpipes out there w/o the bracket. Hundreds of thousands or even millions of you count other makes and models.

I will say adding a bracket being “too difficult” wouldn’t be a reason for not including one lol...if you can build a production downpipe a simple bracket wouldn’t have you flustered

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
MAP designed theirs with the brace but once they had fitment issues removed it.

I had no idea people were experiencing fitment issues with the MAP DP? I do see they don’t have that bracket anymore. Strange, no issues with mine.

The IE DP looks like a great option to me. If I was in the market for a DP, I wouldn’t hesitate to try this one.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I can’t say I agree that’s its necessary, especially since there’s thousands of aftermarket downpipes out there w/o the bracket. Hundreds of thousands or even millions of you count other makes and models.

I will say adding a bracket being “too difficult” wouldn’t be a reason for not including one lol...if you can build a production downpipe a simple bracket wouldn’t have you flustered

I used MAP as an example because they specifically removed the bracket because of fitment issues.

MAP's Disclaimer: "Maperformance MK7 Downpipe's no longer encompass's the rear engine bracket to improve ease of installation and due to bracket location differing on some models of MK7'S."

So they felt it important enough to include it up until they likely got customers contacting them with install issues.

I'm not saying not having the brace it going to cause issues, I'm saying if I had a choice of having the brace or not I'd have the brace. I also leave on the turbo brace but one could argue your turbo is not going to fall off without it. IMO, I prefer more than less when it comes to this type of thing.

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I also prefer the bracket like oem and was happy IE included it on theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMen

Ready to race!
Just installed mine this morning. Much easier than the IC install! Stock exhaust with res delete on S3. Much louder on throttle, yet zero drone. We'll see if the CEL stays off. Running JB4 for now.

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Just installed mine this morning. Much easier than the IC install! Stock exhaust with res delete on S3. Much louder on throttle, yet zero drone. We'll see if the CEL stays off. Running JB4 for now.

You need to tighten down that clamp! That is a big gap between the two ends.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You need to tighten down that clamp! That is a big gap between the two ends.

That's probably tight. There should be a decent sized gap on most V-band clamps.

I always use a few drops of loc-tite on that bolt also. Yes, heat defeats loc-tite, but it still works well enough to prevent it from loosening.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
That's probably tight. There should be a decent sized gap on most V-band clamps.

I always use a few drops of loc-tite on that bolt also. Yes, heat defeats loc-tite, but it still works well enough to prevent it from loosening.

I was able to get mine (not IE) just about touching one another.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
I’m with JerseyDrew on this one, I think that needs to be tightened more. With such a large gap, it’s possible the clamp might not be seated properly on the underside of the DP

For reference, mine: (I know it’s not an IE DP)