GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I put in the wrong engine oil

DiddyS

In a moment of madness I picked up the wrong bottle and topped up the engine oil with 300-400 ml of SAE 30 monograde intended for the lawnmower.
Would it be safe for me to drive approx 1 mile to the local VW dealers for them to drain, flush, fit new filter and refill?
2013 Golf Mk 7 1.4 DSG.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Main reason being you'll be setting your self up for failure with the dealer. If rather just change the oil at home and no harm no foul. Once you circulate it on the drive there they'd try to pin any future warranty issues on that (if it's still covered at this point).

Technically it shouldn't hurt anything esp on that short of a drive, but I'd skip the drama and just drain/replace and move on

DiddyS

That's what I would do if I was 40 years younger and had the facilities to do it, but as things are I think I'd better talk to the VW people tomorrow. A bit annoying, but my own stupid fault.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
That's what I would do if I was 40 years younger and had the facilities to do it, but as things are I think I'd better talk to the VW people tomorrow. A bit annoying, but my own stupid fault.

How close are you to your normal service interval? Can you just bring it in for a normal oil change and not mention the lawn mower oil? You can always bring your own oil to a quick-change place too, if warranty flags are a big concern (I wouldn't be very worried about that myself. Dealership service managers are no more evil than anyone else.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The amount you put in won't do any harm, if I were in that situation I still would replace the oil for peace of mind but I wouldn't hesitate to drive if I had to.

Would it be safe for me to drive approx 1 mile to the local VW dealers for them to drain, flush, fit new filter and refill?
It would be safer to drive it at least for 20 mls/30 km to get the oil
hot before it's drained.
Dude, no reason to write home about with that tiny amount of oil !!!

;)

Not my engine but I'd not be concerned about driving 1 mile to a oil change after putting in clean fresh oil of only 400ml. I'd be more concerned about the engine oil not being up to a good temperature and ready for the change itself besides you don't mention it and ALL your old oil goes STRAIGHT down the drain for recycling anyway. You think they sample it?
The mechanics have other things to be getting on with while your oil drains after ensuring it doesn't go all over the floor.

Why drive it slowly with just 300-400 ml of SAE30, which is barely 10 %?
The quality loss is negligible, it's rather insignificant.
There's absolutely no need to have an oil change done instantly, but I'd
prepone the next change a bit, as monograde oil likely is pure mineral oil
which probably isn't that stable long-term. Again, don't panic.

LFTMON

Ready to race!
Best thing to do is call one of those mobile service people, drain the oil twice! Drain the dodgy oil, flush with cheapest correct oil, and then fill up with a better quality oil.

It will cost a bit, but it's worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
Why drive it slowly with just 300-400 ml of SAE30, which is barely 10 %?
The quality loss is negligible, it's rather insignificant.
There's absolutely no need to have an oil change done instantly, but I'd
prepone the next change a bit, as monograde oil likely is pure mineral oil
which probably isn't that stable long-term. Again, don't panic.

Exactly, no reason for a freak out. It's more like 5% and it's still oil that was put in, not sand. It's not ideal, but I certainly wouldn't park the car over it, drain the oil twice or drive slowly to the dealer tomorrow. Depending on how close I was I might even wait until the next interval.