GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diane

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Everyone, meet Diane.

IMG_3576.jpeg

I bought her last week after 2 years with Zoe, my 2017 GTI SE, 6sp manual with PP (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30740). Zoe’s build got interrupted, and cancelled, due to unforeseen life events... and I kind of just dropped off the map here.

Prior to that, I had a 2011 MK6 GTI, which became an F23T monster putting 342 HP down at the wheels ( https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57175).

Now I know what you’re thinking: that’s not a GTI! Well, yes, she’s not. She’s a 2019 35th Anniversary Edition GLI, 7sp DSG, in Pure White ... but with the soul of a beast. (As in, Diane Chambers) If you’ll indulge me, I’ll keep her build thread here - as she is essentially still a GTI and you all, and this place, represent the best resource available for doing so.

Last edited:

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Build Plan

Reserving this post to detail the build plan as it unfolds...

Summer / Fall 2019
Just a couple refinements to get things started.
  • (done) BMS JB4
  • (postponed) APR Roll Control lowering springs
  • (postponed) 10mm front / 15mm rear wheel spacers
  • (postponed) BFI stage 1 mounts
Summer 2023
What happened? Four years later …

Last edited:

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Nice GLI. I think staying in this group is a fine plan.

If I decided to go to a sedan, the GLI would be near the top of my list. My wife loves the styling over the GTI. But I still prefer the practicality of the hatch for our dogs riding in the back.

Looking forward to your progress and if you decide to keep the red wheel stripe or not. :D

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Well, this is weird. The Tug Shaft I got from Raceseng is threaded in the opposite direction as my tow hook. The tow hook is reverse threaded and tightens into the bumper counter clockwise (“left tighty”). Raceseng’s Tug Shaft has standard threads that tighten clockwise (“righty tighty”).

Can anyone out there check our tow hooks for me - did VW turn this around?!

Raceseng says they do not make a Tug Shaft with threads that tighten this way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Haha, I dig the red trim ... it’s going to stay. Will definitely need to get some dedicated winter wheels though.

Assuming the offset is similar, you could pick up some Austin's for dirt cheap to use in winter. I actually think they'd look good on your Jetta.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
How did that happen? Was the stand on the jack point? looks like it may have not been. Good thing no one was under the car.

I had the stand on the subframe

The damage there was caused by the jack stand sitting under the wheel well - I used it to put pressure up on the control arm - and had then just moved it aside. So the body hit the floor jack when it fell.

10 years of DIY and I’ve never had anything like this happen. Replaying it a lot trying to figure out how it happened.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Just be happy you weren't under the car. Why not leave the jack in place as a backup? I always have both holding up the car.

I had both front wheels off the ground - and only one jack. Wouldn’t have saved her. But yeah - I think when I reattempt the springs, it’s going to only one corner up at a time and the jack for redundancy. Needless to say I’m getting new stands. Next time I’ll also be sure to use the garage instead of the driveway, as I know my garage floor is level.

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
She needs a bath after the storms that came through last night. Family camping trip necessitated some roof racks and I couldn’t resist picking up the matching black Thule bars rather than mounting the silver ones I already had. :/.

IMG_3871.jpeg

Thule Evo WingBar black with the Evo 5204 fit kit. Looks so good I’ll probably leave them up after the trip. I always took them off my GTI when not in use... but it adds something sporty to the sedan. Also since there’s no sunroof, the are dead silent in the cabin. No added wind noise!

Last edited:

timneedscoffee101

Ready to race!
Well here we are four years later ... funny how life has a habit of getting in the way of enjoying my car! Truth be told, after it fell off the jack stands, I've been too anxious to get back under the car again ... but with clean garage, perfectly level surface, and a big deep breath, here I am!

I finally got around to putting those APR springs on the car this weekend, they've been sitting there in my garage waiting for me every day since Aug 2019 ... just staring at me, making me feel bad, lol. Since the car has 46,000 miles on it now, the springs were accompanied by 034 street density strut mounts and new bearings

IMG-0813.jpg

Put new rotors, pads, and stainless steel brake lines on while I was at it, and also replaced the sway-bar end links with adjustable ECS ones.
IMG-0828.jpg

There's some minor spring binding noise happening in low-speed turns which I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything about. Going to try some Tein Spring Silences, but the APR springs already had a good bit of wrap on them where they transition anyway. Certainly won't hurt, though, so worth a shot.

I also managed to break my rear level sensor while I was at it :\....
IMG-0808.jpg

Fortunately it was a pretty clean break on the ball joint's arm, so for now I just crazy-glued it back together, and left it clamped for several hours while I finished the project up. I don't expect that to hold for too long, though, so I'm sure I'll have to replace it, but it's very easy to get to so no big deal there, and I very rarely drive at night so even if it falls apart in the meantime, it won't be a huge deal.

In other news -- after 46k miles on my JB4, I am finally stepping it up a notch. I ordered a Cobb access port w/ DSG tune this morning, which will be here for installation by the weekend. My MK6 GTI (build link in the signature) had a F23T turbo w/ a custom Cobb tune by Freaktune, and it was an absolute monster. I have no plans of going beyond stage 1 for now, so I'll be sticking with an off-the-shelf tune ... will probably look at Sneakytune or EQT, but Cobb's will do just fine for now.

Attachments

• IMG-0811.jpg
    IMG-0811.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG-0812.jpg
    IMG-0812.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 40