GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's been run, but not driven yet. No leaks (besides one from a fuel line fitting that I didn't touch the entire time the car was apart, lol) abnormal noises, or lights on the dash besides the usual after the battery is disconnected...and it insists it's due for an oil change lol.

Fingers crossed, looks like everything is good to go.

My only known mistake was forgetting the damn divider plates that sit in the intake ports. A friend put them in a box on the back of my bench, and it never crossed my mind when I was putting the manifold on. I've talked to a couple people who intentionally run without them and they say there is no change in drivability, but there has to be some increase in airflow and a better spray pattern from the MPI injectors. I'm going to run it as is, any drivability issue and the manifold will have to come back off to install those.

Should be driving it tonight!

You talking about the flaps from the intake manifold into the head?

Hoon

Autocross Champion

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I thought R888/NT01/NT05R were all the same? 555r has the softer sidewall out of the bunch of them but I think all the compounds are near identical between the Toyo/Nitto DRs

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I had better straight line traction with 300tw summer tires than NT05. Not really a big fan of them. Ok as cheap autocross or track tire maybe.

I have 555r now and they grip quite well for a streetable tire. 05r supposed to better though.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yea the 555r really only has the 245/45/17 that would work, so there’s that.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Anecdotal discussion is that R888R is the better street tire over NT01 in terms of having a little better tread to survive if it rains etc. lots of suggestions it’s all same or very similar compounds between the 100tw stuff between nitro and Toyo. R888R prob your best option depending on price vs 01s

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Triple 8s should yield better straight line traction over the NT01’s. Care about longevity get the NT01’s

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I should mention that I love my RE71R’s they do a damn good job of hooking on the straights and holding in the curves.