GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon's DIYish Engine Build Thread

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I hate that about the good shops....I remember I used to just make pre emptive appointments with the one shop I trusted to do work 3 months ahead of time even when nothing was wrong with my car, just in case something broke that I didn't have time to fix myself and I knew something would probably break in the mean time LOL. LME in texas once took 9 months to rebuild one of my motors after quoting me 30 days....haha... seems like just part of the game unfortunately.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It's not like the work actually takes that long, they just can't get to the project because they suck at job planning.

Of course they sell you best case scenario even though they already know they're 60 days behind at project inception. They probably only have 1 dude who has the master level of skill and experience and then a bunch of helper monkeys.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Wow holy shit I though that all the machine work would've been done.... ridiculous they should almost pay you for having your engine that long

No man this thread hasn't gone anywhere because I've literally been waiting for 3 months.

It's not like the work actually takes that long, they just can't get to the project because they suck at job planning.

Of course they sell you best case scenario even though they already know they're 60 days behind at project inception. They probably only have 1 dude who has the master level of skill and experience and then a bunch of helper monkeys.

Yes, it's a small shop with several techs but only one machinist.

He probably has 40-50 engines in various stages of rebuilding, strewn all over the place.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
(n)

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I ordered my rods (BRUTE lX) and pistons (JE custom) from pagparts last not, I got all the upgrades available for it all, upgraded pin and all the coatings ect. Should get them next week, just gotta save up another 2600 so I can send my head to pagparts so the can p&p and do there thing with new supertech valves, springs, everything

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Easier said than done.

you almost have to cruise the local classic car clubs nowadays to find that skill.....my dad's classic car club had several that were all old school machinists....

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I mean i never rebuild an engine but for anything, i wouldnt wait 3 months. Thats ludacris. I woulda called after 1 week then 2 weeks, then 3, then taken my parts back. Not saying your doing wrong but 3 months is crazy time. At this time frame, i would think they catrostrophicly messed something up and are trying to figure out how to buy a new or fix

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thats ludacris.

No.

Thats Ludacris.